Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:08 PM

399 posts, read 354,533 times

Advertisements

Hello, after a string of tedious jobs requiring 8 hrs a day on a desk in front of a monitor my back and eyes have had enough. I literally turn into a zombie when in front of a computer for so long, it’s like screens make me tired. They certainly cause me headaches despite wearing glasses. When I did a digital detox back in 2013 I was so happy. It’s like the less I use computers the more happy, talkative and extroverted I get (I think computer use changes your brain or sth as most geeks seem cranky, ditto for your typical office worker).

Are there any jobs that pay well but have more people/meetings time rather than just entering stuff on a computer? Should I look at management positions? Event planning? Real estate? It’s especially hard if you want to lead a nomad lifestyle abroad as most of these require you to know the local language and English based multinational corporations force even managers to spend ridiculous amount of time glued to a screen. I don’t want to spend more than 4 hrs per workday at my computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:24 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Its very hard to comment on such a vague question without knowing what you mean. And, having some idea of your skills or aptitudes.

Just what someone is doing while spending all those hours at a computer makes a huge difference. Anything from crunching numbers to writing their own novels. Researching global climate change to copy editing headline news. Working out nuclear physics models to graphic design. Inventory and data entry to writing articles for submission to medical journals. Hours at a desk could be very inspiring and satisfying to many of those people. Just not you.

What the heck is "the typical office worker"?

Old 06-29-2019, 01:12 AM

Well I'm more of a creative but even graphic design seems boring as it's done on a computer. Hence why I prefer singing to graphic design as a hobby. But yes, it's much more satisfying to write novels/draw for me rather than crunch numbers.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:39 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
Has you optometrist suggested a full lense pair of prescription glasses for close up vision? Mine did a year ago.....”computer” glasses....I LOVE THEM!!!!!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:42 AM

It's not just the eyes. My body hates sitting for too long as well. Also I feel down if I use a computer too much.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Teaching English abroad seems to be the only thing that would meet your qualifications if you want to live abroad, not know the language, and not work on a computer. I have one friend who did that on and off in several countries over about 14 years. If you have specialized skills, you might be able to do something else.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
There are many jobs with a minority of screen time, but it may be difficult to transition to them.

Teacher, mechanic, sales, many management positions, social worker, therapist, welder, pilot, etc.

It may take planning and retooling for a different career, but many jobs use a computer as a minor portion of their job, not a major portion.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
This is the first I've ever heard someone say they want to spend more time in meetings.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:33 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
You literally have to spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer screen? Even people who work actual computer jobs don't do that! I'm talking system admins, DBA, developers, accountants, scientists, etc. In all of my office jobs, they don't measure "butts in chairs". They measure productivity, so you're fine to get up every hour, go grab coffee/tea, take a 15 to 20 minute walk, etc.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
You literally have to spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer screen? Even people who work actual computer jobs don't do that! I'm talking system admins, DBA, developers, accountants, scientists, etc. In all of my office jobs, they don't measure "butts in chairs". They measure productivity, so you're fine to get up every hour, go grab coffee/tea, take a 15 to 20 minute walk, etc.
My husband sits and stairs at 4 computer screens all day long. Not good for your body but it pays well. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment