U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 02:01 PM

128 posts, read 134,658 times

Advertisements

I've tried everything to work and it keeps ending in failure(Journalism, LPN,Navy, Commercial Truck driving) so what about this. I don't believe in curses,but I'm beginning to since this keeps happening to me.

What are the pros and cons of this program?

I know that are closed for this term,but new applications start next year.

Please don't mention how the money isn't enough. I am one person no dependents, and the only debt I have is student loans($10,000) which thankfully are in forbearance. A teachers salary would be enough for me.

What are the personal hurdles I would face because of the things below. I mean would I get rejected because of them.

I'm female

No children.

I'm 33 will be 34 early next year.

I have a BA in Journalism.

I live in the South

I'm currently talking to a psychiatrist about some things and may take a med. Do any potential employers need to know this? Does Teach for America need to know this? Is it even legal for them to?

I have no actually work history.

I would like to enter a completely online Masters Program while I teach. I want it to be in Library Science so I can be a librarian.

However, if I like teaching enough I will stay doing that and will do all the paperwork, tests they want etc.

I will absolutely pick their high need places to be placed in if need be.

However, what are some good places to be placed in if I can't be placed in a high needs one?

I would like to teach kindergarten or 1st grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 04:24 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,905,107 times
You can't just "decide" to start teaching. You need credentials. Start reading here:

https://teach.com/become/teaching-cr...-requirements/

Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 PM

3,961 posts, read 1,690,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You can't just "decide" to start teaching. You need credentials. Start reading here:

https://teach.com/become/teaching-cr...-requirements/
The OP is talking about Teach for America, which has no specific credentials other than a bachelorís degree with a relatively modest GPA and authorization to work in the US. That said, it is very competitive and you are placed where you are needed. I think you select where you would like to go and then they look at your major/educational background to determine what you are most qualified to teach. Itís not like a regular job where you apply to the school district of choice or position of choice.

There are some alternatives to this program. I think NYC, Boston, and Chicago have their own programs for people who specifically want to work in that area. Notre Dame runs the Catholic version. It is heavily advertised to students there, but I donít think it is limited.

However, I think the main thing they want out of anyone in these programs is someone who is going to be able to make it through the full two-year commitment. I tried several careers before landing in my current one, so I know it can be hard, but if you are going to TFA so you can eventually go to school to be a librarian, that might be a problem. A lot of people end up doing just that, but probably your best bet is to talk to a therapist about why it is you keep jumping from one career to another.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 311,944 times
I suspect the main cons would be the dealing with:
horrible school system
unsupportive principal
burnt out teachers
terrible parents
challenging students
plus things like crime, poverty, lack of supplies

Old 06-29-2019, 05:42 PM

128 posts, read 134,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP is talking about Teach for America, which has no specific credentials other than a bachelor’s degree with a relatively modest GPA and authorization to work in the US. That said, it is very competitive and you are placed where you are needed. I think you select where you would like to go and then they look at your major/educational background to determine what you are most qualified to teach. It’s not like a regular job where you apply to the school district of choice or position of choice.

There are some alternatives to this program. I think NYC, Boston, and Chicago have their own programs for people who specifically want to work in that area. Notre Dame runs the Catholic version. It is heavily advertised to students there, but I don’t think it is limited.

However, I think the main thing they want out of anyone in these programs is someone who is going to be able to make it through the full two-year commitment. I tried several careers before landing in my current one, so I know it can be hard, but if you are going to TFA so you can eventually go to school to be a librarian, that might be a problem. A lot of people end up doing just that, but probably your best bet is to talk to a therapist about why it is you keep jumping from one career to another.
If I am accepted they will get the full two years from me. I was in the Navy and signed a contract for them for four years. Working for someone for a set number of years has never been a problem for me.

I also said that if I liked the teaching after my two years I will stay in the field,but if not a Masters in Library Science will be my backup.

I am not jumping from career to career. I get in these good programs and then some crap happens, and I end of not finishing it. Like I've stated I'm seriously beginning to believe I'm cursed because this keeps happening to me.

Journalism-dying industry
LPN- let go two days before graduation. Tried to appeal to the dean and president to no avail.
Commercial Truck Driving- was in the program(actually behind a 18 wheeler) and had to drop out because I can't drive shift. Just automatic.
Navy- got all the way through boot camp to the point I had to see my division graduate. They finally had to let me go because I couldn't pass their swimming qualifications.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 PM

57 posts, read 16,328 times
There's no way in hell I'd teach in an "underprivileged" inner-city school. The "students", if you want to call them that, aren't interested in learning and the parents don't care. Also, those schools have tall fences and metal detectors for a reason. A lot of the "students" will end up in prison.

If you want to be a teacher, get your teaching certificate and go work at a school in the suburbs.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:14 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,148,776 times
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/advic...s-do_b_8840714

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...merica/279724/

I've not heard much good about the program.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:04 AM

35,209 posts, read 19,272,053 times
The big negative:

Some school districts will hire TFA kids repeatedly rather than fill openings with certified teachers for the simple reason that they're much cheaper. Students end up with a succession of rookies and professional teachers just go elsewhere since that district avoids hiring them. It becomes a vicious cycle of high turnover.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 PM

33,875 posts, read 42,085,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The big negative:

Some school districts will hire TFA kids repeatedly rather than fill openings with certified teachers for the simple reason that they're much cheaper. Students end up with a succession of rookies and professional teachers just go elsewhere since that district avoids hiring them. It becomes a vicious cycle of high turnover.
There's that and the fact that many TFA participants are dilettantes who plan on doing their two years, mostly for the tuition forgiveness, and then leave to get on with their true "life's work" (banking, law, Foreign Service, whatever).

They get a six week lab school training course during the summer and then parachuted into a high needs school (mostly. My very middle/upper middle class suburban DC school got a handful one year. None lasted the year). We didn't do well with career changers either.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:54 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,527,266 times
With your background, this isn't going to work for you. Someone who has never worked any job, no teaching background, and with documented psychiatric issues will not make a good teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or