Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 01:08 PM

135 posts, read 89,919 times

Advertisements

I know of a couple of people who were fired in pretty dramatic circumstances. When I worked at a small accounting firm about a decade ago, one woman did not get along well with this one manager at all. She basically got into a shouting match with the manager and was fired on the spot. A few months later, she was hired by another accounting firm. I looked her up, and she is now a manager herself at the accounting firm that hired her. Obviously, her firing didn't affect her that much in the long run.

Another person is someone at my current job who had some personality conflicts with management and he got kicked out on the spot after a confrontation with my boss (and his boss at the time). A few months later, he got hired on at an accounting firm in a different city, making more money than what he made at the job he was fired from.

Both of these people left on very bad terms, but yet they were just speed bumps in their career paths. I've always heard that you should be worried about "burning bridges," but these people practically nuked their bridges and they came out alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
when people say burning bridges, they don't mean the relationship between you and the employer...

they mean you are burning your reputation, and that takes time to build. depending on how you think your reputation will follow you, you can either burn it or not

Old 06-30-2019, 01:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
If you are absolutely certain no one and nothing on the far side of the bridge can ever hurt you, or won't ever help you, burn away.

Even then... since we often don't know what might come back in damaging or useful form, it's usually better to just walk away and let bad karma attend to itself - some of it might bounce your way as good karma.

No good reason to PO people or alienate a company or just tar yourself as a petty revenge-taker.

That said, I've burned a bridge or two. We all have. But it's not a good practice, no, no matter how good the outburst or act might feel at the moment. Pretend you did it, and move on.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:22 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I know of a couple of people who were fired in pretty dramatic circumstances. When I worked at a small accounting firm about a decade ago, one woman did not get along well with this one manager at all. She basically got into a shouting match with the manager and was fired on the spot. A few months later, she was hired by another accounting firm. I looked her up, and she is now a manager herself at the accounting firm that hired her. Obviously, her firing didn't affect her that much in the long run.

Another person is someone at my current job who had some personality conflicts with management and he got kicked out on the spot after a confrontation with my boss (and his boss at the time). A few months later, he got hired on at an accounting firm in a different city, making more money than what he made at the job he was fired from.

Both of these people left on very bad terms, but yet they were just speed bumps in their career paths. I've always heard that you should be worried about "burning bridges," but these people practically nuked their bridges and they came out alright.
Accounting firms generally have extremely high turnover, so there's not much of a bridge to burn, as they need SOMEONE to do the work. Some places practically have revolving doors, lol. I've known tons of accountants who were fired or got into screaming matches and quit and turned around and got another job quite easily.

In other fields, there might be more of a bridge to burn.

Last edited by Taffee72; 06-30-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 01:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Accounting firms generally have extremely high turnover, so there's not much of a bridge to burn.
I've never worked in either field, but I've been told by friends who do that accounting and insurance have very long memories. A friend's wife with over ten years as an actuary did not dare look for a job during his 2-year assignment to another base, because the short tenure would reflect badly on her for the rest of her career. She worked waitress under her maiden name for the duration.

Maybe that's changed, since accountants are pretty much first in line to be hit by the AI express.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:03 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never worked in either field, but I've been told by friends who do that accounting and insurance have very long memories. A friend's wife with over ten years as an actuary did not dare look for a job during his 2-year assignment to another base, because the short tenure would reflect badly on her for the rest of her career. She worked waitress under her maiden name for the duration.

Maybe that's changed, since accountants are pretty much first in line to be hit by the AI express.
really depends on the field, people PRN at multiple places, and when they are fed up with somewhere, they stop taking hours there for a while. (need 1 shift per month to stay on payroll). People go away for months at a time and have to get re-hired to put back on the payroll. But it happens often enough that people aren't sure if they went on vacation or officially "quit". until they are heard from again in a few months and they come back with a tan lol

It's fine to job hop between employers because well, they are so short they don't have a choice :/ (shortgage = can't be picky as long as they have a history of good work). Or people job hop every 2 years to get the sign on bonus, then leave once they are vested and start over again. Most hospitals use the same instruments and computer systems (there's only a handful of them anyway) so there is little "relearning".

But they make sure not to burn bridges when they job hop because they know they will be back later. So what happens is they get a full time job, and a PRN job, then flip the 2 and the PRN becomes full time and the full time becomes PRN. Working 1 day a month to stay "active". They bounce between the 2 hospital systems for the sign-on bonuses (and PTO payout when leaving). If they don't get a raise in between, the sign on bonuses (and PTO) make up for it.

Healthcare isn't a large field and with a new clinic opening every year and no new people moving into area, every clinic is sharing the same pool of staff. The healthcare workers shortage is mostly due to so many clinics opening up, if there were fewer of them, the staffing could be concentrated and there would be no shortage. But then the accessibility would be lower as well. It's either increase accessibility and spread workforce thin, or concentrate workforce and lower accessibility

Old 06-30-2019, 02:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I know of a couple of people who were fired in pretty dramatic circumstances. When I worked at a small accounting firm about a decade ago, one woman did not get along well with this one manager at all. She basically got into a shouting match with the manager and was fired on the spot. A few months later, she was hired by another accounting firm. I looked her up, and she is now a manager herself at the accounting firm that hired her. Obviously, her firing didn't affect her that much in the long run..
Sounds like she is an aggressive person who will get ahead no matter what.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
What advantage do you gain from burning bridges, outside of the temporary ego boost in getting to "tell them off", which never helps you in the long run?

Old 06-30-2019, 03:41 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
yes, it matters.
to someone.
somehow.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I never burn them no matter how bad the experience but just bek I did not burn the bridge does not mean I must cross it again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment