U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM

767 posts, read 263,995 times

Advertisements

The tech industry is full of this fakeness. They still try to run those mega tech companies like they are start-ups, but its a different game once a company’s staff is measures in thousands.

Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple....its a 9 to 5 for most staff, but noone would admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 02:33 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,104,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have a first cousin twice removed who is a good kid. He's smart and motivated. He got a job as VP of marketing in a Seattle tech startup. His previous work experience was owning a pizza parlor. They were in business for three years. He worked 14 hours a day and loved it. Then they sold out to a multinational, and his share was $16 million.

If I had a job like that, I could love it too.
And that's the way (uh huh, uh huh) you playyyy it (uh huh, uh huh)... it's not a real job, it's an elaborate crap game with no middle or long-term strategy and zero commitment past getting Microsoft or Oracle to buy out your IP. Two or three years of carefully forging a lottery ticket with zero actual dedication to the job or process or result.

Too bad 99% of such hail-mary plays fail. But even then, the participants live high on someone else's VC, and move on to an even bigger... anti-McJob?

Old 07-01-2019, 02:38 PM

13,905 posts, read 25,364,805 times
Didn't we all pretend to like work? I know I did! You have to play the game.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's best if you have a job/career you can live with, without undue strain over its practice - if not a job you actually like and try to excel in for your own reasons. Too many people have jobs they absolutely loathe to the point of developing health issues (ulcers, blood pressure, mental deterioration) - and the why of that is a separate interesting topic.

But I read this thread as being about younger workers who have been convinced to blur the line between work and personal lives, work extraordinary hours, be all squee about working on a couch in a loft with free lattes and food and fun-fun-fun... when such things are often a cold, hard shuck by the owners to get massive amounts of work and manhours from the crew. All those cool bennies are NOT for the benefit of the young, stupid, gullible employees who despise all those who work regular hours in an (ewwww, yuck!) office.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 PM

2,327 posts, read 1,169,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And that's the way (uh huh, uh huh) you playyyy it (uh huh, uh huh)... it's not a real job, it's an elaborate crap game with no middle or long-term strategy and zero commitment past getting Microsoft or Oracle to buy out your IP. Two or three years of carefully forging a lottery ticket with zero actual dedication to the job or process or result.

Too bad 99% of such hail-mary plays fail. But even then, the participants live high on someone else's VC, and move on to an even bigger... anti-McJob?

I've gotta ask you... why do you believe Microsoft or Oracle (or anyone else) would pay millions or billions for "an elaborate crap game" or a "carefully forged lottery ticket"?

All I see is:

Old 07-01-2019, 04:57 PM

703 posts, read 257,675 times
Whoever work 70, 80 hours per week and say they love their work/job are the people don't have life out of the workplace, and they devote their life to the workplace for big cheques. Other than that, people have to pretend they "love" their work, so they won't be fired.

Another type of people who say they love their work could/must be in the management. They want to try to brainwash the employees, so the employees do more, and they (the managers) can have big bonus. They just want to hear lies from employees saying they love their work, while indeed inside they hate every minute to be at work with the pretending co-workers and bullying managers. All they can say is if you don't love your work/job, the door is always open.

For me, I like to go to work when all the co-workers and managers are good, not lazy, cheating and bullying. I do care for my company and to do my job right, but not to the point loving it. I want to work and to be healthy, happy, to have family time and me time. I don't care for tons of $$$$$$$$.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I've gotta ask you... why do you believe Microsoft or Oracle (or anyone else) would pay millions or billions for "an elaborate crap game" or a "carefully forged lottery ticket"?
You're really good at missing the point.

The handful of IPs the big guys pick up is not the issue. It's thousands of companies that play Buyout Lotto, burning VC and hours to create a ticket that will get picked.

Not a product. Not something successful in itself. Not something a one of them has the slightest actual vested interest in. Just enough focused work to make a shell of something a big company finds worth buying, for any of a half-dozen reasons, including IP squatting.

I've been in that industry. Don't know how anyone can have any pride in that kind of tech whoring, but I guess the one in a thousand or fewer who drive home in a Lambo would disagree. Some of us would rather, you know, actually accomplish something.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:21 PM

12,314 posts, read 12,547,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I actually liked work. Sometimes the boss not so much. I had way too many Dilbert pointy-haired bosses.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:38 PM

12,314 posts, read 12,547,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You're really good at missing the point.

The handful of IPs the big guys pick up is not the issue. It's thousands of companies that play Buyout Lotto, burning VC and hours to create a ticket that will get picked.

Not a product. Not something successful in itself. Not something a one of them has the slightest actual vested interest in. Just enough focused work to make a shell of something a big company finds worth buying, for any of a half-dozen reasons, including IP squatting.

I've been in that industry. Don't know how anyone can have any pride in that kind of tech whoring, but I guess the one in a thousand or fewer who drive home in a Lambo would disagree. Some of us would rather, you know, actually accomplish something.
Your personal experience with mediocrity is hardly relevant. Nobody spends millions of dollars to squat on an IP. My cousin's firm was a computerized front end for peer-to-peer lending, matching up borrowers and lenders and offering the best results for both. It's a specific segment of the finance industry, not related to consumer or mortgage lending. This is the kind of firm where you have to have a million bucks just to open an account. They picked up a lot of clients, and started to get some buzz in the financial magazines.

They got a buyout offer from one of the established multinationals in the business, so they sold the concept, code, and client base. The buyers didn't bury it, they added a whole service to their worldwide customers based on the idea and the code. The little Seattle startup was messing with a few hundred million, the big boys took it into hundreds of billions. It was a valuable property for the buyers, and the guys who invented it were well compensated for the fact that they spent three years working their collective asses off.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM

"Half a dozen reasons, including IP squatting," Larry. RFC, FFS.

And yes, my gosh, some companies do get bought out. You'll find that in the context as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or