U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 PM

3,878 posts, read 1,648,337 times

Advertisements

So, any examples of jobs for people that AI will create?

I can't think of too many things that couldn't be done by machines.

We've already progressed from beating carpets to vacuuming them to plugging in the irobot charging station.

I read that the Japanese are designing robots to help care for the elderly.

There are even devices that can detect individual cancer cells. (Personal experience with that.)

I can picture sticking my hands into a device and getting a perfect manicure.

So what do you see humans doing that AI can't?

Last edited by steiconi; 07-01-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 02:06 PM

1,859 posts, read 714,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
So, any examples of jobs for people that AI will create?

I can't think of too many things that couldn't be done by machines.

We've already progressed from beating carpets to vacuuming them to plugging in the irobot charging station.

I read that the Japanese are designing robots to help care for the elderly.

I can picture sticking my hands into a device and getting a perfect manicure.

There are even devices that can detect individual cancer cells. (Personal experience with that.)

So what do you see humans doing that AI can't?
With the proper application of technology, every single job can be automated. Oh, I also didn't see any examples of what jobs AI will create for people in that article, just a mention that they will be created. Specifically what kind? No, that wasn't discussed.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:19 PM

9,668 posts, read 18,856,303 times
So, with AI and robots doing all the work, what are humans going to be doing in order to make money to buy the stuff being made by robots?

Maybe that Yang presidential candidate has a good plan when he mentions a stipend for all citizens over 18. Maybe it should start at birth and increase until age 18? You'd think all the folks who own the robots and AI would want this since it would then increase the amount of sales for them. Of course, the folks with the robots and AI would pay more in taxes (the money for the stipends has to come from somewhere) but they'd get it back again when they sold the robot production to folks who then have money to buy it.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:25 PM

611 posts, read 266,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
So, with AI and robots doing all the work, what are humans going to be doing in order to make money to buy the stuff being made by robots?
Big corps would collapse as they release their quarterly financial statements. No job = No money being spent = Stock market crash

Sounds like AI would kill the employers as much as it kills the employees

Old 07-01-2019, 02:44 PM

8,591 posts, read 3,019,935 times
Quote:
My, that is a problem, isn't it? (It is, however, not any argument against the rise and widespread implementation of AI. Not one any business on earth will listen to, anyway.

But keep going. Work out the two (2) realistic solutions.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:48 PM

8,591 posts, read 3,019,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Big corps would collapse as they release their quarterly financial statements. No job = No money being spent = Stock market crash

Too locked in a conventional model to make sense. Economic change doesn't happen one element at a time. If SUDDENLY TOMORROW OMG there were no jobs, it would be one thing. But both economic reality and economic theory change, given time, as a complete system. (Too many arguments use the first model and become reduced absurdity as if it's a genuine logical certainty. Usually because the speaker treats economic theory as some kind of fixed scientific laws, when it's anything but.)

Also keep in mind that AI is not The Problem. It doesn't exist in a vacuum and it's not a simple either-or proposition. It's gasoline on a fire - and some of us think it's a tanker truck heading for a burning house - but it's not a discrete, separate problem we can turn on or off by itself.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:13 PM

1,859 posts, read 714,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post

Correct, everyone would tumble down into poverty.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM

19,895 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The aim of AI is to automate all jobs.
Quote:
Wow, so much misunderstanding.

AI cannot function without human interface, so the claim that it will eliminate jobs is debunked.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 8,735,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...lled-last-year

I've said it before, I'll say it again... if you are afraid that automation or robots or illiterate Third World peasants are going to replace you, your problem is not the automation or robots or illiterate Third World Peasant.
That is untrue at all. AI created newer jobs but through time the aftereffects is net loss of jobs. I worked at a client that does heavy automation with machine learning. Because they were so successful at it, they've disrupted their industry. As they gotten bigger and bigger their competition kept dying as customers left for cheaper services they offer and now their industry has only 2 players instead of of more than a dozen in the past.

The same will happen in the next 10-20 years we'll see heavily consolidation as companies that advanced using AI will beat companies that don't and there will be a heavy net loss of jobs as a result.

AI replaces lots of human work, not the other way around. The goal of AI is enhance automation and remove the long term costs associated with human workers.

We'll be talking about Universal income more and more as many jobs will no longer be around due to automation and cheaper global labor.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 PM

611 posts, read 266,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That is untrue at all. AI created newer jobs but through time the aftereffects is net loss of jobs. I worked at a client that does heavy automation with machine learning. Because they were so successful at it, they've disrupted their industry. As they gotten bigger and bigger their competition kept dying as customers left for cheaper services they offer and now their industry has only 2 players instead of of more than a dozen in the past.

The same will happen in the next 10-20 years we'll see heavily consolidation as companies that advanced using AI will beat companies that don't and there will be a heavy net loss of jobs as a result.

AI replaces lots of human work, not the other way around. The goal of AI is enhance automation and remove the long term costs associated with human workers.

We'll be talking about Universal income more and more as many jobs will no longer be around due to automation and cheaper global labor.
But you are not taking into consideration the possibility that new tech might create completely new industries along with completely new set of job titles we can't think of right now.

Sort of how there was a time when "software developer" wasn't a thing yet. So, no one could have said "Factory works will be in the decline because of tech advancement but a lot of companies are looking for software developers though. Some people are even making a living as a web dev freelancer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment