U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM

23 posts, read 11,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It doesnít even seem like the OP can get them to pin down whether it is a set shift. If you canít even get them to tell you whether youíll be working the same shift from week to week (e.g. it is a hospital but you might work overnights this week and days the next), that might not be manageable. At least if someone has night shift or second shift all the time, they can work out child care and other things accordingly. Thatís nearly impossible when you donít have a set shift.
No, I have been no indications of anything schedule related. They said they couldn't "guarantee" a schedule because oft the "nature of the business," but I've been around the business long enough to know that's bull. I mean, I get schedules can temporarily change due to people getting sick, going on vacation or leaving... that's fine. But to expect someone to quit their job and move 4 hours away and have no idea when they'd be working? That's awful for a company to expect that.

I had three phone interviews, an in-person visit (that cost me 2 days off from work) and after all that, they still aren't giving me any idea about what my work schedule would be. I think it's something that should be mentioned in the job ad or at least in the first or second interview. Certainly by the time an offer and a visit is made from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,151,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
I had three phone interviews, an in-person visit (that cost me 2 days off from work) and after all that, they still aren't giving me any idea about what my work schedule would be. I think it's something that should be mentioned in the job ad or at least in the first or second interview. Certainly by the time an offer and a visit is made from out of town.

Why are you telling us and not them?

"I need an answer here, or I'm going to have to move on."

Old 07-01-2019, 03:52 PM

1,401 posts, read 548,092 times
Quote:
I interviewed for a job, was offered the job, went 4 hours away to visit the company and meet some of the people... but one question remains.

What will my schedule be? I told them I would have a hard time accepting a role even locally without knowing what my schedule would be.

The employer refuses to tell me, saying they can't guarantee a schedule given the "nature of business."

But I've worked in this business for two other companies. They never had any problems telling me my hours - long before offering me the job.

Would you uproot your life for a job 4 hours away without knowing the schedule you'd be expected to work?

It probably will be a graveyard shift which he knows most people wouldn't want to work.And..nope..I wouldn't uproot my life for a job 4 hrs away not knowing ahead of time what my work schedule would be.That would be insane.But I guess the employer is thinking that hey.. it's a job..anyone would be happy to have a job...so ..

Old 07-01-2019, 04:13 PM

23 posts, read 11,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why are you telling us and not them?

"I need an answer here, or I'm going to have to move on."
Just to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable to expect to know when they'd want me to work exactly.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,009,925 times
Quote:
It's a business that runs 24/7 but it just seems like a big red flag to me. I have experience in this business with two other companies. Their explanation is very fishy to me. Both times, I knew what my work schedule would be long before this point in the process. In one case, it was outlined in the job ad. In the other, it was mentioned in my first interview. I had three interviews for this one, on top of burning time off from work to go out and visit.

Everybody at my previous two stops in this business had a set schedule that was only adjusted for reasonable things like people calling out sick, going on vacation or leaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I recommend you pass on this "opportunity". As I once told a friend: recruitment is like a courtship, employment is like a marriage. Communication is essential in a marriage.
It's fishy to me too. It's not unreasonable for you to know what a typical work schedule at this place looks like, even if you need to acknowledge that this may have to be adjusted at times to deal with the peaks and valleys of the work flow. If they've been running the business, they should know this information and be able to share it, at least to give you a general idea of what they are going to be expecting from you, so you know the general terms of employment you're agreeing to.

Like Nell Plotts says, it's like a courtship before the marriage. The flippant lack of response you've encountered so far is a poor reflection on them, and if they're doing this when they're trying to recruit you (when both the employee and employer should be putting their best foot forward), how do you think they're going to manage things like schedules after you've already started and moved hours away to do so? Even if they do respond, the red flags are there that they're not going to give you an honest response, but just mislead you with what you want to hear and then change everything around when you become employed there. I just don't think this is a salvageable "opportunity."

If you end up disregarding this advice, I'd be curious how things turn out (probably not good is my guess).

Old 07-01-2019, 04:28 PM

1,075 posts, read 645,043 times
The company sounds totally bogus.
I wouldn't give it a second thought: keep searching.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 PM

1,507 posts, read 963,291 times
Hard pass.

On the plus side, the manager's evasiveness began before you altered your life.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:42 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,450,766 times
Sounds like you would be relief and fill in various hours depending on what else is going on. It would be like being back at a retail or grocery job and being on the ground level where you get all the hours that aren't filled by the "regulars" or long-time folk.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 PM

154 posts, read 70,972 times
In the VA, nurses work 12 hour shifts. It is either days or nights, and each job description specifically notes which shift you will be working.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
I would not take the job. There's a chance that the person you're talking to is just a terrible communicator and the job turns out fine, but I wouldn't take that chance. I'd keep my current job and keep looking elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or