U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:29 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,983,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
Just to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable to expect to know when they'd want me to work exactly.
Of course not, and they have to have an idea of when you will work. I'd move on. Like I said before, these folks are going to *********. It sounds to me like it is a "we'll call you if we need you" job, or just something that is so crazy that no one would accept it if they knew what they were getting in to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 AM

9,156 posts, read 3,005,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It doesnít even seem like the OP can get them to pin down whether it is a set shift. If you canít even get them to tell you whether youíll be working the same shift from week to week (e.g. it is a hospital but you might work overnights this week and days the next), that might not be manageable. At least if someone has night shift or second shift all the time, they can work out child care and other things accordingly. Thatís nearly impossible when you donít have a set shift.

If the prospective employer won't tell you what your schedule and shift work might be, you should expect the worst. You'd probably be stuck with midnight shift and weekend work.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:51 PM

23 posts, read 11,614 times
I told the recruiter I wouldn't uproot my life for a job and have no idea what my hours would be.

Her response: "Sorry it did not work out."

And that was that. Game over.

That after three phone interviews and a visit to the company's location. They paid for a hotel and paid to take me out to lunch but they wouldn't give me the slightest idea about my work schedule. I now regret burning two days off from work to go out there.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 PM

658 posts, read 310,260 times
Well the reply proves to me you did the right thing!

Old 07-02-2019, 06:02 PM

587 posts, read 179,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Well the reply proves to me you did the right thing!
Yep, something was definitely "wrong" with that place. Maybe they expected OP to work four hours in the morning and four more in the evening, like a school bus driver, which would burn up any free time they may have had on commuting. Or, there could be a swing shift involved, where you work afternoons one week, mornings the next, and overnight the following, that would be "job hell" in my book. And, this is coming from someone who was "salaried on call 24/7" for the last 18 years of my career. I worked my normal day shift, and could expect an occasional call from Security at 2:00 AM, and would occasionally have to go in to jury-rig a leaking roof or pipe, restart the boilers, etc.. But I was well-compensated for it, could flex-time (if I spent considerable time there overnight I'd just take off early the next day), and most importantly, knew what I was getting into beforehand. I can tell you that they miss me, my replacement has been known to "not hear his phone" overnight, which at least once has allowed some boo-boo's to be worse than they would have been otherwise. "Nunnamybidness" anymore, but it's nice to be missed, I guess. That's how I determined whether I made a good decision to retire, I played a mental "what if" of whether I'd be happy, or sad, if I had a reversal of fortune that required me to go back to work under the same exact circumstances. The result was that I'd be sad - no surprise there, LOL.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 395,374 times
Sounds like you’re better off. What an odd answer from the recruiter and the company is strange. Keep searching for a better opportunity.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:20 AM

2,067 posts, read 599,290 times
Quote:
I told the recruiter I wouldn't uproot my life for a job and have no idea what my hours would be.

That after three phone interviews and a visit to the company's location. They paid for a hotel and paid to take me out to lunch but they wouldn't give me the slightest idea about my work schedule. I now regret burning two days off from work to go out there.
Recruiters just don't give a damn these days. Got the same response regarding a phone interview where the guy was in a loud adult playpen stock trading room (NOT a trader job) and I could barely focus or understand what he was saying

Old 07-03-2019, 06:58 AM

8,967 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:

I think that they were very clear on the work schedule. They need somebody who can cover any of their shifts, and which shift their employees cover changes from time to time.

Sorry about the time investment, but given your reasonable desire for some restrictions on scheduling, this job was not the best one for you.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 AM

1,383 posts, read 464,204 times
What an odd situation. Looks like you dodged a bullet - yea, it's too bad you expended time and energy with your interest only to have it turn out that way. If it were me, I would probably be so 'put off' about that way this was handled regarding your working hours, that I would go right to the top and explain/complain about how it went down. You don't treat people this way. If they are alright with this, well then fine (not a company to work for IMO) and if not, maybe some guidance can trickle down to local HR.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-04-2019, 12:51 PM

3,789 posts, read 1,375,666 times
Quote:
I interviewed for a job, was offered the job, went 4 hours away to visit the company and meet some of the people... but one question remains.

What will my schedule be? I told them I would have a hard time accepting a role even locally without knowing what my schedule would be.

The employer refuses to tell me, saying they can't guarantee a schedule given the "nature of business."

But I've worked in this business for two other companies. They never had any problems telling me my hours - long before offering me the job.

Would you uproot your life for a job 4 hours away without knowing the schedule you'd be expected to work?

I need to the schedule, salary, and location for me to consider any job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or