U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM

23 posts, read 11,422 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a job, was offered the job, went 4 hours away to visit the company and meet some of the people... but one question remains.

What will my schedule be? I told them I would have a hard time accepting a role even locally without knowing what my schedule would be.

The employer refuses to tell me, saying they can't guarantee a schedule given the "nature of business."

But I've worked in this business for two other companies. They never had any problems telling me my hours - long before offering me the job.

Would you uproot your life for a job 4 hours away without knowing the schedule you'd be expected to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 AM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times
Is this a place that has overnight workers? If it is a regular office, where it's day time only I think it shoudl be ok, but if different shifts are involved, then you should know which shift is being offered. As to whether I moved or not, that would depend on the pay & how much I liked the new area.

Last edited by evening sun; 07-01-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
What is the job, how many shifts does the company run, and is it guaranteed full time hours? I would need to know the answer to those questions before I made a decision. It is one thing to be offered a job as a cleaner with a commercial cleaning company and be told that you will work 40 hours a week on various shifts at multiple locations, but it sounds like they are not telling you anything at all. If they can't even give you generalities, you are in for a screwing.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:01 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,854,218 times
I wouldn't take the job unless I know the hours.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 11,422 times
It's a business that runs 24/7 but it just seems like a big red flag to me. I have experience in this business with two other companies. Their explanation is very fishy to me. Both times, I knew what my work schedule would be long before this point in the process. In one case, it was outlined in the job ad. In the other, it was mentioned in my first interview. I had three interviews for this one, on top of burning time off from work to go out and visit.

Everybody at my previous two stops in this business had a set schedule that was only adjusted for reasonable things like people calling out sick, going on vacation or leaving.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,135,231 times
If its a 24/7 business, you will have to work varying hours. Overnight included. My job is like this. Though after a few months where I had an outstanding performance review they asked what I preferred. It was given to me, but changed once people quit, got sick etc. So I'm right back to where I was.

I would say find out the shift times, and see how you could manage your life for each. Commute, child care if it applies, spouse and other responsibilities. If the stress is not worth the money or you will never have a preference for your schedule, think twice about this.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 16,652,835 times
I recommend you pass on this "opportunity". As I once told a friend: recruitment is like a courtship, employment is like a marriage. Communication is essential in a marriage.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:58 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
I interviewed for a job, was offered the job, went 4 hours away to visit the company and meet some of the people... but one question remains.

What will my schedule be? I told them I would have a hard time accepting a role even locally without knowing what my schedule would be.

The employer refuses to tell me, saying they can't guarantee a schedule given the "nature of business."

"Then I cannot accept a job with you, given the nature of your business."

Maybe they're trying to say "We cannot guarantee you'll always start at 8AM and be done at 5PM" But then, they should be willing to expand upon that, and say "Every other Wednesday you'd have to start earlier because..." or "Our peak season is April to June, and we work more then, but compensate for that with..."

But, too often, a refusal to talk about this means "We expect you to start early, end late, and come in on weekends." So, if a probing question or two doesn't elicit a favorable response, we return to my initial comment.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:04 PM

2,731 posts, read 871,625 times
[quote=metty85;55559643]I interviewed for a job, was offered the job, went 4 hours away to visit the company and meet some of the people... but one question remains.

But I've worked in this business for two other companies. They never had any problems telling me my hours - long before offering me the job.

Would you uproot your life for a job 4 hours away without knowing the schedule you'd be expected to work?[/QUOTE]

No, I would not. If you are seeing flags this early on, keep searching.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:42 PM

3,959 posts, read 1,688,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
If its a 24/7 business, you will have to work varying hours. Overnight included. My job is like this. Though after a few months where I had an outstanding performance review they asked what I preferred. It was given to me, but changed once people quit, got sick etc. So I'm right back to where I was.

I would say find out the shift times, and see how you could manage your life for each. Commute, child care if it applies, spouse and other responsibilities. If the stress is not worth the money or you will never have a preference for your schedule, think twice about this.
It doesnít even seem like the OP can get them to pin down whether it is a set shift. If you canít even get them to tell you whether youíll be working the same shift from week to week (e.g. it is a hospital but you might work overnights this week and days the next), that might not be manageable. At least if someone has night shift or second shift all the time, they can work out child care and other things accordingly. Thatís nearly impossible when you donít have a set shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or