U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:28 AM

959 posts, read 447,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I think most replies are just weighing the odds of two opposite notions:

At 24 years old, you have mastered your field. You know as much or more than nearly all others. You have not only mastered the technical part of your field (mechanics, was it?) but also the business-part, where compromises are necessary to make a profit and pay the bills. You - yourself - at 24 - have mastered these things.

Or - option 2 -

One or more of the people you have run across, or anyone here has run across, actually does, in fact, know more, do more, and teach more - more than you realize, more than you admit, and more than you're willing to see.

Is it not possible - even slightly - that someone somewhere in your field knows more than you? And when that guy tells you, "You're doing that wrong. Slow too!" will you just pack up and hit the road?

So the folks that follow orders are generally SMART ENOUGH TO REALIZE they may not have all the information required to make the best decision. It's not a "sheep" attitude in all cases, or a sign of weakness. It's simply a necessary step to the success of large groups that must work together.
If I wouldíve said I was 54 instead would that make me more credible? Because if youíre young you canít possibly know anything at all right? And the person thatís older always knows more, right? You probably think the guy thatís changed tires for 30 years is smarter than me just because heís older.

Fact is, thereís a right way and a wrong way to do things when it comes to mechanic work, and too many guys out there are hacks that donít take it seriously. I take my profession dead serious, and wonít stand for half ass work. I do things according to procedure and the way theyíre supposed to be done. Not saying thereís not shortcuts, but as long as the same end product is achieved and the same quality is done, thatís what matters.

And if someone came up to me and said that, Iíd tell them to GTFO of my bay and let me do my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:31 AM

105 posts, read 22,361 times
Ah - I think we're at the heart of it now.

You don't trust anyone, and you don't understand why anyone else does either.

This is totally your problem, no one else's. Don't project your paranoia on other people.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Ah - I think we're at the heart of it now.

You don't trust anyone, and you don't understand why anyone else does either.

This is totally your problem, no one else's. Don't project your paranoia on other people.
Like the country song says, ďIf you donít stand for something, youíll fall for anythingĒ and most people donít stand for anything because they donít really think about things, they let someone else do it for them. Thatís why they need someone to give them orders, because theyíd be lost without someone telling them what to do.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:04 AM

9,029 posts, read 8,447,613 times
Wow. OP wants more control over his actions as a mechanic and we are comparing to the Nuremberg trials!

Jimmy, you sound like a PITA employee. As a manager, I am not interested in having in depth discussions with every employer over every directive and expectation. It isn't because I don't have good reasons, it is because I don't have enough time to engage in complex discussions over every difference of opinion.

I agree with you to a point, in that there are right ways and wrong ways to do things. Sometimes mechanical problems take time. However, you also have to understand that running a shop requires overhead, and if enough business is not flowing through it, the bills don't get paid. Sometimes those things are in conflict with one another, that is just life.

Following simple instructions from your boss isn't always a life and death matter of principle. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to argue, from either person's viewpoint. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:59 AM

105 posts, read 22,361 times
Yep, stand for something. Injustice, cruelty, prejudice, abuse - all worth standing for.

Not getting the answer you want about what brand tool to use? Not exactly "falling for anything." It's your boss making the best decisions he can for the most profit in the least time. It's the only reason he's there. He is NOT there to please you.

Ever.

Never ever.

Ever.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yep, stand for something. Injustice, cruelty, prejudice, abuse - all worth standing for.

Not getting the answer you want about what brand tool to use? Not exactly "falling for anything." It's your boss making the best decisions he can for the most profit in the least time. It's the only reason he's there. He is NOT there to please you.

Ever.

Never ever.

Ever.
But he is there to please customers, correct?

Donít think a customer will be very pleased when they have to come back because their vehicle wasnít done right the first time because some crap for brains manager is more worried about speed than quality.

Those that put undue pressure on employees while simultaneously having no clue what it takes to get to a job well done is setting yourself up to fail. Thatís why I left my last shop.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM

3,916 posts, read 3,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
A person who says that tells me a couple of things:

1. That person is unable to think for themselves or question what they are told, simply if a person in charge said it, it must be true and the right thing to do.

2. They donít want accountability if they do something bad or wrong.

We need to foster an attitude of constantly questioning all authority and seeing whether it is righteous and justified or not. Blind obedience only benefits those in charge.

Thoughts?
I had a Taiwanese workmate who said on more than one occasion "Boss say 'do', I do. Boss no say 'do', I no do". Seemed like a cultural thing, and most working class people in various countries are brought up not to ask questions.

Look, if you're not making tons of money and there's no safety issue then I can see using the "just following orders" excuse. But if you are putting coworkers of the general public in danger then it's time to speak up.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I had a Taiwanese workmate who said on more than one occasion "Boss say 'do', I do. Boss no say 'do', I no do". Seemed like a cultural thing, and most working class people in various countries are brought up not to ask questions.

Iíd say the working class is raised to not ask questions because the people in power donít want a smart populace. They want people just smart enough to do the work they donít want to do, say yes sir/maíam, and do as theyíre told.

They donít want a populace smart enough to question them and see thru their BS, and people play right into it by choosing to be ignorant. Nobodyís gonna pull the wool over my eyes or **** down my back and tell me itís raining.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:00 PM

9,029 posts, read 8,447,613 times
Quote:
Iíd say the working class is raised to not ask questions because the people in power donít want a smart populace. They want people just smart enough to do the work they donít want to do, say yes sir/maíam, and do as theyíre told.

They donít want a populace smart enough to question them and see thru their BS, and people play right into it by choosing to be ignorant. Nobodyís gonna pull the wool over my eyes or **** down my back and tell me itís raining.
You don't think that management in most cases is working class? Trust me, I don't have the capital to live off of my investments for the rest of my life, so by definition, I am working class.

It isn't about peddling BS, that is a paranoid thought. It is about a division of responsibility.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:05 PM

6,702 posts, read 2,411,431 times
Quote:
Nah, while I know that everyoneís not going to agree, even those that do will be too scared to ďrock the boatĒ because youíre supposed to obey your boss without question. People in general are afraid to go against the grain and against what the majority says.

I'll still maintain that YOU aren't making an adequate argument, if you can't convince someone to see things your way. And telling people they're intellectually inferior to you just makes those people roll their eyes.

YOUR fight, YOUR circus isn't mine or anyone else's. It's YOUR job to convince people...and if you can't, it's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or