Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 01:37 PM

271 posts, read 295,630 times

Advertisements

Leaving my current company this Friday, had my exit interview with my manager this morning. My relationship with my manager has been cordial over the years, after answering some basic questions like why are you leaving, how do you feel about working here for the past 5 years, we started talking about other things.
During our conversation, my manager told me they are in the process of determine if a new program will happen or not. The big boss wants it to happen, some of the people that work under him have different opinions. If the program does happen, every thing will pretty much stay the same, if it doesn't happen, there is a good chance that some people will get laid off, if it takes a long time(a year or even 2 years) to determine if the program needs to happen or not, during this time, some people will be let go and when they actually start the new program, they will hire some new people to work on the program.
After talking with my manager, I privately shared the news with some of the coworkers that im close with. My indian friend, who is on H1B visa, wasn't all that thrilled after hearing the news. Basically, if the program doesn't happen, and he gets laid off because of it, he only has 30 days to find a new job that will sponsor his H1B visa, otherwise he has to go back to his home land. My chinese friend, he comes from a middle class family, his parents paid his tuition when he was getting his master here in the states. After learning the news, he said he doesn't mind to go back to China, but admits even if he decides to go back, he wants it to happen on his term, not because he gets laid off from his employer and could not find a job within 30 days.
Basically, some of the people that work in my group has their job or not, whether they can still receive a paycheck every 2 weeks, or if they can stay in this country legally or not, purely depends on whether the upper managements decision on whether the new program will happen or not. If the new program doesn't happen, some people from our group will get laid off and their life will be changed in a pretty traumatic way. Brutal.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 PM

740 posts, read 455,774 times
If you think that's brutal? Try 1099. Every month we start off with a negative each and every month. At least W2 people start off at $0. We have to overcome our expenses first and then we can worry about a paycheck.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
I agree. W2 leaves you very little freedom.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Your title should read as an HB1 visa person, not a W 2. Yes, working for a living is hard. And I do feel sorry for those who may be exploited on a visa program.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
You know whats brutal is that 70% of companies do not need to keep employees at all. I haven't worked a W2 job for years and the last time I had a W2 was in 2014 and I only lasted 1.5 years and went back to being a 1099 consultant.

American corporations have gotten what they want, technology and regulations have all made keeping employees optional.

It's easier and better to hire temps/consultants at will. They will never fight with you or argue back. You don't have to spend money training them nor demand your workers learn something new. They don't have to pay the $15-30k benefit cost per workers. People forget that the passage of the ACA means the cost of retaining workers just went up by 20-30%

Contingency workers are huge business, I make easily 1-2.5x the salary of a worker that performs my duty. I don't invest my emotions into my client's environment. I often hear the FT workers whine about getting dumped on new work without their say. I knew workers where they unsuccessfully asked for raises for 3 straight months. I told them the best thing to do is to look for new job before you ask for a raise. There is not a single employer that would give a raise even deserving unless you show that you are not staying.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
This has more to do with visa programs than being a W2 employee. I agree it can be tough if you have that kind of visa where you depend on a job to keep your immigration status.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Where I've been the H-1Bs weren't necessarily paid less, but had to stay, even in bad working conditions. A citizen could just bail out when they find something else, but it's not nearly as easy for a visa holder.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
Leaving my current company this Friday, had my exit interview with my manager this morning. My relationship with my manager has been cordial over the years, after answering some basic questions like why are you leaving, how do you feel about working here for the past 5 years, we started talking about other things.
During our conversation, my manager told me they are in the process of determine if a new program will happen or not. The big boss wants it to happen, some of the people that work under him have different opinions. If the program does happen, every thing will pretty much stay the same, if it doesn't happen, there is a good chance that some people will get laid off, if it takes a long time(a year or even 2 years) to determine if the program needs to happen or not, during this time, some people will be let go and when they actually start the new program, they will hire some new people to work on the program.
After talking with my manager, I privately shared the news with some of the coworkers that im close with. My indian friend, who is on H1B visa, wasn't all that thrilled after hearing the news. Basically, if the program doesn't happen, and he gets laid off because of it, he only has 30 days to find a new job that will sponsor his H1B visa, otherwise he has to go back to his home land. My chinese friend, he comes from a middle class family, his parents paid his tuition when he was getting his master here in the states. After learning the news, he said he doesn't mind to go back to China, but admits even if he decides to go back, he wants it to happen on his term, not because he gets laid off from his employer and could not find a job within 30 days.
Basically, some of the people that work in my group has their job or not, whether they can still receive a paycheck every 2 weeks, or if they can stay in this country legally or not, purely depends on whether the upper managements decision on whether the new program will happen or not. If the new program doesn't happen, some people from our group will get laid off and their life will be changed in a pretty traumatic way. Brutal.......
Yes, that's brutal.

But they knew what they were getting into.

H1-Bs are are only two 3 year visas renewable once for a total for 6 yeas total, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment