Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times

Advertisements

I just got my performance review after 60 days and it wasn't great. I didn't even know I was having one until day. It made me look like I wasn't learning fast enough and doing everything exceptionally well. While my boss is knowledgeable, she is is not a good teacher. She skips around in her teaching and she is has a robotic type tone, very disconnected.

I feel like I'm gonna get the boot, because I have only 30 days to score well on what I have learned and score well on what I will be future trained on.

I need some advice on where to go from here. The job has some perks, but I am at loss. I just don't know what direction to go in and my confidence level is dropping. I know, given enough time I can learn it and do it well, but I probably won't be as fast as they want me to be.

Advice please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 05:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Teacher? What is this school? Fine, are you taking notes and reviewing them each night?

Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Brush up the rez, start looking asap.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Brush up the rez, start looking asap.
I hate to do that, I really want this job to work out because I know that I can do it. The manager doesn't like me though.Its so difficult to find the right fit.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:43 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
I just got my performance review after 60 days and it wasn't great. I didn't even know I was having one until day. It made me look like I wasn't learning fast enough and doing everything exceptionally well. While my boss is knowledgeable, she is is not a good teacher. She skips around in her teaching and she is has a robotic type tone, very disconnected.

I feel like I'm gonna get the boot, because I have only 30 days to score well on what I have learned and score well on what I will be future trained on.

I need some advice on where to go from here. The job has some perks, but I am at loss. I just don't know what direction to go in and my confidence level is dropping. I know, given enough time I can learn it and do it well, but I probably won't be as fast as they want me to be.

Advice please
Here are a few pointers for you:
  • Have a notebook with you, write down the things your trainer tell/show you to do
  • Watch your trainer to do the work carefully
  • Ask your trainer to let you do the work yourself after watching him/her showing you. Ask questions if you don't understand or don't know how to do something - don't be afraid
  • Make a list of Things To Do for yourself from the time you come to work till the time you finish the day
  • Each evening study and memorize your notes and Things To Do list
  • Try to be mindful, which means to pay attention at this moment, don't worry too much about the next moment; that will distract you from the job you have to do right now, and therefore you cannot do it well
  • Don't worry too much. Experience will come with time
I wish you luck, to do your job well and to be able to keep your job when you like it and/or need it.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:59 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post

Advice please
If you have an evaluation where you meet and exceed expectations in every scored category and receive an overall score of unsatisfactory, you need to move on from that employer.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Seems like this is more and more common these days. They hand out pink slips like candy now.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
[*]Don't worry too much. Experience will come with time[/list]
Highly unlikely that most these days will be given enough time to adapt and learn. More often than not they'll be fired just when they start getting the hang of things.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:36 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Did you get to provide input on your review? As a manager, I always asked the employee what they felt they needed to do their job better. If you can get specifics on your performance that would be very helpful.

As someone else mentioned, it might be time to move on if it's not a good fit for you.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Take what they say to heart and try to improve but also understand they may already be working on a paper trail to get you fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment