U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 02:39 PM

40 posts, read 12,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, if you haven't committed to the trip, and you're relatively new on the job, guess you're working on the 26th.
I mean is it that bad to switch with someone? My boss has no problem with it.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:53 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
I understand. Does it make me look bad asking a coworker to switch?
Not necessarily. We all know things can come up at the last minute. This wasn't one of them. Your coworkers probably have their own plans set too. You may give them the impression you aren't a great planner (deciding to go on a trip without checking on your working days). In this situation I'd postpone the trip a day and work. You haven't committed to the trip. You have been committed to working that day. You might need to use such a favor with coworkers or your boss for something more important. Don't squander it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-02-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not necessarily. We all know things can come up at the last minute. This wasn't one of them. Your coworkers probably have their own plans set too. You may give them the impression you aren't a great planner (deciding to go on a trip without checking on your working days). In this situation I'd postpone the trip a day and work. You haven't committed to the trip. You have been committed to working that day. You might need to use such a favor with coworkers or your boss for something more important. Don't squander it.
I understand. I didnít think it was a huge deal, honestly. My boss said he had no problem with it.

Would this be any different if I did fully commit to vacation?

Old 07-02-2019, 05:57 PM

9,204 posts, read 8,293,143 times
Is this to Myrtle Beach? I think Allegiant flies there from Pittsburgh.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:03 PM

689 posts, read 250,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
I understand. Does it make me look bad asking a coworker to switch?
Of course you don't look bad asking your co-worker to switch shift with you. At my workplace, people do this all the times. Somebody may say no, someone may say yes. You don't know until you try. And you do this favour for your co-worker someday too, if someone needs to switch.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Of course you don't look bad asking your co-worker to switch shift with you. At my workplace, people do this all the times. Somebody may say no, someone may say yes. You don't know until you try. And you do this favour for your co-worker someday too, if someone needs to switch.
People on here are telling me I will make myself look bad, and I need to pay my dues. I don't know what to do.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:32 PM

689 posts, read 250,633 times
Just do what many posters told you, and mine too (post #11). Go to work on July 26th, and go on your vacation after work or the day after. You can change your vacation, but you cannot not to show up for work. Otherwise, you will be fired. No more wondering, no more discussion. People gave you all the advice already. You can choose to go for your vacation on July 26th and not to show up for work and when you come back, you don't need to show to work at all.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 PM

931 posts, read 256,090 times
Will someone please explain these "summer hours" to me? I never heard of it before about a year ago, but allegedly it's very common?

Do people still get paid for the extra hours they don't work, or do they have to take leave/make it up later? If the former, I just can't imagine why an employer would pay people to cut out early, as if it's extra vacation time.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 PM

1,810 posts, read 313,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Will someone please explain these "summer hours" to me? I never heard of it before about a year ago, but allegedly it's very common?

Do people still get paid for the extra hours they don't work, or do they have to take leave/make it up later? If the former, I just can't imagine why an employer would pay people to cut out early, as if it's extra vacation time.
The jobs I've had with summer hours, you get paid for it. It's just a perk for when the workload is less. My current job has two hours off on Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. If you want to take the entire Friday off, you take 6 hours of PTO and 2 hours toward Summer Friday, so you still get paid for 8 hours.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Just do what many posters told you, and mine too (post #11). Go to work on July 26th, and go on your vacation after work or the day after. You can change your vacation, but you cannot not to show up for work. Otherwise, you will be fired. No more wondering, no more discussion. People gave you all the advice already. You can choose to go for your vacation on July 26th and not to show up for work and when you come back, you don't need to show to work at all.
Thanks. Iím not just gonna skip work, I was just trying to figure out if trying to switch was a viable option. Kinda sounds like not. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or