U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 PM

128 posts, read 134,573 times

Advertisements

I filled out an application that asked do you have a relative working at where I was applying, and what is their name, relationship, and department.

I told the truth and said yes( a sister) and gave the info they asked for.

Was this bad?

I will not be working in the same department as them nor will they be a supervisor over me in any capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
It's often required that you disclose any family members working for the same company, as well as anyone who may have recommended you. I would not try to skip around the request/requirement.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:05 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I filled out an application that asked do you have a relative working at where I was applying, and what is their name, relationship, and department.

Was this bad?

I will not be working in the same department as them nor will they be a supervisor over me in any capacity.
Being truthful on a job application is usually better than lying. Consider...what did you gain if they find out you do have a relative working for them? Your relationship may not matter to them at all, but you'll be branded dishonest. Over a nothingburger.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:15 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
Some places give preference to employees family members. If not preference, in many cases it doesn't hurt.

If your sis is a good worker, YOU might be also.
And also unless you're estranged and she doesn't know...would your sister have you apply knowing you're a screw up, and could mess up HER reputation at work? No.

When applying, I think it's usually a plus to have a relative working there.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:18 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Some places give preference to employees family members. If not preference, in many cases it doesn't hurt.
It can go either way. A small company might be inclined to hire a relative for several reasons, not all of which are necessarily sensible.

But a big company wants to know if you have a relative who might be a supervisor or underling, or might become one, or might even be a co-worker in a sensitive role. Most 'inside jobs' on companies involve people who know each other well outside of work - very close friends, families or even spouses. So they want to know, and it's not necessarily any kind of downcheck unless there's a conflict.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 575,124 times
Some companies don't want relatives working for them at all. It's better to not get the job than to be fired over this.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:06 PM

4,646 posts, read 2,286,704 times
Quote:

You should always tell the truth.

Quote:
Was this bad?

It depends on company policy and also if they like your sister as a worker. If not, then it will probably hurt your chances.

I've worked at places that had no problem with hiring relatives, and other places that wouldn't touch any employee's relative with a ten foot pole. The ones that did usually kept them in different departments.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:01 PM

2,139 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
But a big company wants to know if you have a relative who might be a supervisor or underling, or might become one, or might even be a co-worker in a sensitive role.
'Tude got this one right.

If the relative is in a completely different line of business, then there isn't any issue. Example: you're applying for a job as a patent attorney while your relative is a director in manufacturing or export licensing or tax.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 PM

685 posts, read 157,221 times
Quietude is right.

I worked for a huge agency, and a relative applied there, was asked the same question as you, and they replied honestly. They got the job. We weren’t even working in the same division, but if they had lied, it would have been discovered and agency policy would have prevented them from being hired.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
It could go either way.

My dad referred to me to the hiring manager at the place he worked, which was my first job out of college. Some places will have outright bans on hiring close relatives for certain teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or