U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:21 AM

22,533 posts, read 24,120,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So how does one answer that question? It's a nice position to be in but "Nah, I'm good." or "I dunno." seems like a dumb answer.
You can always say that you appreciate working for a company that cares about employees as a whole person, and a boss who keeps the lines of communication open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:41 AM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Bosses ask that? Not in my world.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 AM

13,677 posts, read 13,575,490 times
Thanks! I was just asking because My friend thought I was nuts for not asking for more, lol. I made it very clear that I loved my job, was grateful for it and was happy to have him as a boss. The changes I would ask for to make life perfect are no plausible, but it’s good to know I have some capital if any thing comes up. Once I make some changes to my house, I may want to ask for some office equipment (like a standing desk) or something.

And yeah, I know how lucky I am. This was never a job I expected to love, but I totally do.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,933,728 times
This is not the time to ask for perks or office equipment, he's putting it out there to ensure you're as equipped mentally, physically and emotionally with everything you need to perform your job at the highest level, which reflects positively on him to his managers. Maybe a good time to suggest a process improvement like "Hey, rather than having 5 people submit separate TPS reports, could the lead submit one request and have the other 4 simply sign off on it via Salesforce?"

Old 07-03-2019, 01:43 PM

15,725 posts, read 26,748,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Said no boss ever.......
Maybe you work for the wrong employer.

I have had Directors and VP's ask me what would make my life better at work. I also love what I do and love how things are working within our organization. I remember years ago after maybe a couple years working for the company, the CEO asked me if there was anything that would make my work more productive. I told him I needed a new key machine as we were still using one that was over 30 years old. At the time I was the Hospital Locksmith. He approved the purchase on the spot.

As recently as January I had been asking for an office space. I was sharing a portion of a maintenance shop with two other people. I had a new position, a nice increase in pay, and no office. I was offered an office by my boss.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 PM

4,719 posts, read 4,013,639 times
Since you already have flex time & work remotely in place, is there any education/course/workshop to take or professional membership to have-- that would benefit you?

Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,575,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Since you already have flex time & work remotely in place, is there any education/course/workshop to take or professional membership to have-- that would benefit you?
Not really. They already pay for that stuff. But maybe I will ask to go to an additional conference this year. Working from home, my networking is sadly lacking. I'll raise it with my boss on Monday, but when another coworker and I pushed to go to an event earlier this year that would have cost very little, we were told there was no budget for that. So... Who knows?

Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 PM

9,123 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I had my review today. My boss was very complimentary and emphasized my importance to the team. Then he asks me (as he does at every review) what he can do to keep me happy in my work. TBH, I love my job. I make 6 figures, work from home, and can ditch out to take care of my father or run an errand any time I need to. I take a lunchtime nap almost every day. I work with a GREAT team of people I genuinely like and look forward to talking to, and I adore my boss. My job can be a bit boring with occasional highly stressful moments, but it had a lot of variety and I'm finding it pretty doable after more than a decade. I told my boss all of this.

My friend was like "Ask for flex time or a paid sabbatical" but I already really have flex time and can't seem to use up the more than 30 days of vacation I already have. And I know what our corporation is willing to do and what it's not willing to do - paid sabbatical is not something in its repertoire. And "more money" is something I know isn't going to get corporate approval - as it is, I'm pretty sure the management is very fair in how it doles out bonuses. I can't ask for more responsibilities as I'm pretty maxed out, and I don't want a title change.

So how does one answer that question? It's a nice position to be in but "Nah, I'm good." or "I dunno." seems like a dumb answer.

If I were to be completely truthful, my answer would be, to stay out of my sight and never talk to me.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 388,694 times
"As your boss, what can I do to keep you happy?"
Gee. The railroad's down at the end of the street; why don't you jump out in front of the next moving freight train, imagines me at virtually every review when this crap comes up.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 AM

801 posts, read 770,649 times
I know my chain of command, I know DAMN well who butters my bread/who signs my paycheck, so just LINE me out, let-up on the reins a little & leave me the hell alone, to do my job.

(but keep the door open, in case I have questions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or