U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 AM

3,492 posts, read 1,594,226 times

Advertisements

If my boss were to ask me that, I'd feel like most people on this thread do: "Stay out of my way and let me work, but be available for questions."

But since you gotta brown-nose these days, I'd ask for training on whatever I'm curious about. For example, if I'm already handling Active Directory, but occasionally run into roadblocks with printer setups, I'd ask for training on managing a print server. As opposed to always asking my boss to authenticate the printer's MAC address. It'll make my job slightly easier, and makes me look good to the boss. (I work in IT, hence the terms.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 07:46 AM

3,989 posts, read 3,212,294 times
I dont see a thing wrong with being completely happy and satisfied with your work. Saying that affects more than just you, as your supervisors will be happy they are doing their job keeping you happy...and happy employees are good employees.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:41 PM

761 posts, read 636,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I had my review today. My boss was very complimentary and emphasized my importance to the team. Then he asks me (as he does at every review) what he can do to keep me happy in my work. TBH, I love my job. I make 6 figures, work from home, and can ditch out to take care of my father or run an errand any time I need to. I take a lunchtime nap almost every day. I work with a GREAT team of people I genuinely like and look forward to talking to, and I adore my boss. My job can be a bit boring with occasional highly stressful moments, but it had a lot of variety and I'm finding it pretty doable after more than a decade. I told my boss all of this.

My friend was like "Ask for flex time or a paid sabbatical" but I already really have flex time and can't seem to use up the more than 30 days of vacation I already have. And I know what our corporation is willing to do and what it's not willing to do - paid sabbatical is not something in its repertoire. And "more money" is something I know isn't going to get corporate approval - as it is, I'm pretty sure the management is very fair in how it doles out bonuses. I can't ask for more responsibilities as I'm pretty maxed out, and I don't want a title change.

So how does one answer that question? It's a nice position to be in but "Nah, I'm good." or "I dunno." seems like a dumb answer.
The boss is also looking for feedback.

So what I mean is, you don't need to force this into an being an opportunity to get more. You sound like you're already happy so use this time to let your boss what you like best about what you do have, things that help your productivity, what perks to prioritize keeping around if conditions change in the future and the department is forced to cut back. I think telling your boss what you liked was the right move.

If you're wondering about what you could've done differently... if you don't like defensive postures, then think forward 5 years. You know how small things can chafe until they become major problems? Try to find one or two of those and address them now. Or at your next opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or