Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:55 AM

439 posts, read 423,381 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure the logistics of getting a new job, quitting my current job, and selling my house all at once. Has anyone done this?

I'm almost thinking it would be easier to just up and move and then job hunt! Of course, I have good experience, references, MBA, CPA to go on- and I also have the potential to work in a small niche industry that pays well and very few people nationwide know how to do should it take some time to find the perfect accounting/management job.

Of course, I could also accept a job, move, and then sell the house but paying rent and a mortgage makes me cranky. Right now my area is a sellers market-homes are selling and fast-but I am not planning my move until summer 2020. Lots can change!

I am open to both private and state employment, there are benefits to both, but I know the time line for state hiring is weird.

Anyone care to share their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
I am trying to ...
As your comments don't mention having to consider the needs/desires of a spouse or children...
#1 is DO NOT QUIT YOUR CURRENT JOB (yet)
#2 is to sell the house. Get the best price you can but sell asap.
#3 is to decide the 2 or 3 best locations to move to balancing the personal vs professional aspects.
#4 is to EXPECT to work some sort of get by job so you don't spend down savings.

Pick the best of 3 towns and Go. Extended stay for the ~week needed to secure the get by job.
House share NEAR that job. Then work. Make some new friends and contacts. Stay busy.
And keep working through the better job search/application process.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I've looked for jobs across the country several times, but I usually had some idea what area I was even interested in. Every time, I looked for, applied for, and landed the job first, then dealt with the move. For one thing, knowing where I was headed helped reduce the unknowns, the decisions, and helped all the other stuff fall into place (COL, options for housing, what the area can and can't offer, etc). I also knew what my budget needed to be and whether it was even feasible to accept the job.

Of course if you are comfortable quitting, throwing a dart at a map and hoping for the best....

Old 07-03-2019, 02:13 PM

439 posts, read 423,381 times
I should have said that I have identified Columbia SC as my #1 choice. Followed by the Atlanta area and some areas of TN and FL. I am really wanting a slower, smaller city

I won't move until next summer mainly due to not being done with the CPA until 2020. I also want to work one more tax season in public accounting out here (I also have 6+years of private accounting experience). I also have some things to get done around the house before selling.

I do have the advantage of, like I mentioned before, income in a weird industry that few can do. I am already "known" nationwide and can get to work tomorrow if needed LOL! However, it is very tiring, physical, and while I enjoy it to a point, not what I want to do for a career.

I like to look at options well in advance. Oh, and I am single. Two dogs, two cats. Just me and my zoo.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure the logistics of getting a new job, quitting my current job, and selling my house all at once. Has anyone done this?

I'm almost thinking it would be easier to just up and move and then job hunt! Of course, I have good experience, references, MBA, CPA to go on- and I also have the potential to work in a small niche industry that pays well and very few people nationwide know how to do should it take some time to find the perfect accounting/management job.

Of course, I could also accept a job, move, and then sell the house but paying rent and a mortgage makes me cranky. Right now my area is a sellers market-homes are selling and fast-but I am not planning my move until summer 2020. Lots can change!

I am open to both private and state employment, there are benefits to both, but I know the time line for state hiring is weird.

My employer hires people out of state. They will even cover the movers and the flight. People just apply at the job portal. Our newest FTE came from the Midwest to Texas. I moved 250+ miles away by applying online. The interviewers flew into town to interview other job applicants. I also interviewed by phone and landed a job without a face-to-face interview.

I have many friends and family that relocated for work. Many of them relocated with no experience, after graduating college. They applied first, got the job, and decided on an apartment later. Apartments will give you a lease with an offer letter as proof of income. I highly doubt any leasing office will approve you based on you employment in another state.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
I am in the same situation.
Although I'm finding it extremely hard to get anyone respond to my online job applications, or even to my LinkedIn contact requests. At least at large companies (>10000 employees), while the smaller ones are more likely to talk to me.
Large companies seem to be ruled by HR departments with an agenda that prohibits "strangers" being hired into high skilled positions, those are reserved for internal promotions of medium-skilled people. Some companies would have hired me for positions that require a fraction of my skills while reject me for the better match jobs, or would only hire me on a temp contractor basis which lacks job security. Guaranteed job security is a required pre-condition of moving, for any established professional. My search is based on Florida so far.

My plan:
1 find a job,
2 interview and travel
3 accept a written job offer, ask for 30 days.
4 hand in notice at current employer, give a green light to my realtor, arrange moving containers, car shipping and other stuff
5 rent a studio in an extended stay america hotel/condo for 1 month and ongoing up to 4 months, pay weekly.
6 show up for work
7 drive around neighborhoods on evenings and weekends, find a nice one and nice houses
8 buy a house
9 get the container delivered there from storage.
10 buy more furniture.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:

I have been in this position a number of times, and they are not actually simultaneous. I have always done it in the following order:

(1) Accept new job
(2) Quit existing job/get rental in new location
(3( Sell existing house

These can happen in close proximity to each other, but doing them in a different order or "simultaneously" is a level of chaos and uncertainy I'm not prpared to undertake.

Ypu ar right, there is some overlap here in paying rent and a mortgage, but seriously, it is worth it to pick something that works for you other than out of sheer desperation.

If you are lucky yu have an existing support network in the target destination that can put your up for a month or two whole you get sorted. But that gets harder as you get older and yu have more than a suitcase owrth of stuff you are trailing behind you.

The best I have done is an overlap of about a month and a half, and I felt pretty happy about that given that I
was happy about hwere I moved and the purchase price of the home I moved from. I honestly think I was lucky.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Beware: Employers discriminate against out of state workers. They don't want to pay relocation costs nor run into "issues" with the relocation that cause them to miss their start dates.

Unfortunately, this leads to a ridiculous situation where you have trouble finding an apartment (no job? Pay 6 months in advance please!). But employers' ridiculous demand for local people only causes this issue.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:

The logistics of doing this are easy.

You apply for a job you like, that has good compensation, and you have already done your homework to find out what it costs to live there. They will pay relocation if they are interested in hiring you and it is a good company. Then as part of your relocation package you negotiate. Last time I got six months of rent covered which was used for a furnished townhouse. During that time we sold our home out of state, after it closed we put an offer on a home near the new job. Then we moved into the new home.

Don't quit your job and just move out there, it is going to make you look like a flake and puts you in a weak negotiation position. Plus you will miss out on the chance of a relocation package. They aren't going to offer that if you already moved out there.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Beware: Employers discriminate against out of state workers.
Never had an issue with this and we have moved from one state to another each time and a relocation package was offered.

I get e-mail from recruiters several times a week for positions that are over a thousand miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment