U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:35 PM

645 posts, read 2,612,219 times

Advertisements

Most Employers I have come cross seem to get most performance with least cost to company for an employee. For example, eliminating free Coffee, water, broken HVAC, facilities, low raises, more work hours etc. It obvious the Employers are there to improve their bottom line.

I have heard there some great employers out there but I honestly think they almost non-existent. It usually won't make financial sense or help their bottom line.

Which leads to be wonder if anyone has actually come a cross an employer that work very hard to keep their employee happy. They take employee complaints seriously. For example, if say I need new super fast computer for work, they immediately get me one. And/or they give large raises plus happy to approve tons of vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 PM

2,387 posts, read 683,329 times
I wish such employers exist. If they did the CEO's bonus check would go down and that's why they're rare.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:13 AM

375 posts, read 84,449 times
My wife's current work place. A small mom and pop operation with around 25 employees. My wife's been getting good raises every single year since she started working for them. She's never had this kind of raises before. All the managers in that company have been with them for over 10 years or more. All of them make good money they refused to quit because they know they can't get another job that pays as well as they are currently being paid.

The owners seems to spread the wealth. My wife and I been to the owners' home, it was around 2500 sq ft. Nothing fancy, just an average home, so that tells me they weren't hogging all the money.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 AM

17,241 posts, read 10,169,578 times
When the boss asks "As your boss, what can I do to keep you happy?"

Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 AM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Define "happy". Getting free coffee isn't it IMHO. It is a lot more meaningful than that.

A very wise manager I had once often commented:

"It isn't my job to keep you happy. It IS my job to help you keep yourself happy."

Old 07-04-2019, 04:16 AM

1,664 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Most Employers I have come cross seem to get most performance with least cost to company for an employee. For example, eliminating free Coffee, water, broken HVAC, facilities, low raises, more work hours etc. It obvious the Employers are there to improve their bottom line.

I have heard there some great employers out there but I honestly think they almost non-existent. It usually won't make financial sense or help their bottom line.

Which leads to be wonder if anyone has actually come a cross an employer that work very hard to keep their employee happy. They take employee complaints seriously. For example, if say I need new super fast computer for work, they immediately get me one. And/or they give large raises plus happy to approve tons of vacation.
I have never seen a company pinch so hard they would eliminate coffee or not fix a broken HVAC unit. It takes over a year to train any new person into the type of job I have. We don't want experienced people to leave. Keeping people happy is best for the bottom line.

I've worked a lot of overtime this year (averaging 50-55 hours/week for nearly two months). I was told by multiple people above me to slow down because I would burn out, and was given 4 extra vacation days this year as a thank you.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:17 AM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I wish such employers exist. If they did the CEO's bonus check would go down and that's why they're rare.
What does one thing have to do with the other?

Old 07-04-2019, 04:20 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Where employers work very hard to keep employee happy?? No.

Where employers even cared about keep employee happy?? Not really.
Some places give lip service to it, others don't even bother with that.

If you're "happy" that's fine. But even if you're not, you're there to get your work done. Or find another job.

I've had a boss say point blank, if you don't like it here, this may not be the job for you. (Even as she said work hard and there could be advancement here.) Now I ask you (sarcastically of course) who with any modicum of self-respect would appreciate being talked to like that? The boss was honest. But that doesn't mean the way she said it was appreciated.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:53 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
I worked 38 years for such a company. Safety was always first . Key to. Safety is knowledgeable focused employees and best practice ways to do all tasks. Contractors told us they built in higher cost for our safety standards and processes. They expected those standards to change. They did not

Top performing employees were paid well above the competition offered and benefits were great with a generous 401k match AND a company paid retirement plan. Poor performing employees were separated appropriately and solid but slower it average performing employees enjoyed the safety and strong ethics policies as all did and we're getting the same great industry leading be edits. The middle of the road performer made good money too

They listened to employees with good ideas focused on helping the employee do their job. Cavities were top flight and directors and executives were rotated quickly so politics in s group were minimized. The staff worked hard it was their nature when the environment was tailored the way I described.

They are in an industry looked down on these days and only hired top 5 to 10% of graduating classes in leading engineering degrees. Their culture was not for a so some of these accomplished grads left on their own in first five years due to bad match with the culture.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:16 AM

111 posts, read 44,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

My employer* gets a lot of it right, but some rules can't be bent. Vacation is based on length of service, period. No one has the authority to grant more for any reason. If I can prove a need for equipment, whether upgraded computer or expensive lab item, I get it with no problem. I needed a double monitor and an expensive ($12K) piece of simulation equipment a while back. No problem, both were provided quickly. If my office chair is broken or compromised somehow? A new one appears within days. But, I have to prove the necessity for these things -- I can't have them without a valid business reason.

Large raises? Yes, they do this when necessary, either due to outside competition or exceptional business performance. My largest was about 22% during a year competitors were raiding our workforce. Other years I tend to average 2-5% with a decent year-end bonus (also contingent on an exact formula based on our overall profit/performance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It takes over a year to train any new person into the type of job I have. We don't want experienced people to leave.

This is the issue in our workplace. It's very hard to replace folks and we deal with a shortage of qualified people all the time. My job (when I applied for it) required at least a graduate engineering degree, 10+ years of verifiable experience in guidance software, flight controls, robotics, or AI (combined, not in each), and "strongly preferred" a Commercial Pilot's license.

So our managers try pretty hard to keep everyone happy. They're bound to stay within the limits of corporate rules but they do what they can.

*Disclaimer: I retired recently, so it's not really "my" employer anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or