U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 767,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I have never been particularly passionate about one thing and have not found my calling. (I know I should have it figured out by now).
Your mission, should you decide to accept it:

* Take a Myers Briggs test. Many of them are online for free.
* Find out your personality type from the above.
* Google "jobs for ISTJ's" (or whatever your personality type.

Then you have SOME IDEA what direction to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 08:14 PM

85 posts, read 20,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Your mission, should you decide to accept it:

* Take a Myers Briggs test. Many of them are online for free.
* Find out your personality type from the above.
* Google "jobs for ISTJ's" (or whatever your personality type.

Then you have SOME IDEA what direction to go.
I did. I have actually taken multiple personality tests. According to Myers Briggs I am an ISFJ. From what I have read we are the helpers or defenders. I started college in 06 and changed my majors several times. I actually went to school for nursing, but did not complete my degree. Right now I am kind of lost. I would have thought by now I would have had my life together. I did want to accomplish a goal of completing my 4 yr degree. Sadly, it will only be in General Studies. I guess I am pretty pathetic.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 PM

663 posts, read 204,881 times
Most of what you find in the private sector are creative thinkers, ambitious people who want to move and shake the world with their brilliance. They think and dream big, and eventually become job makers themselves. When I was young the last place I wanted to be was with the state but I was young and thought higher of myself. These days, young crowds from India, China, and Mexico pretty much rule the state hiring. So if you're a white American, it's a futile battle at this point, at least from what I've seen in CA.

Another heads up, the state are known for lobotomizing people, so watch out. If you happen to have your dreams come true and actually land a state job and make it through the minimum period you have to serve in order to become vested, your soul will be sucked out of you along with your brain and any social skills. Oh, but you'll have a pension guaranteed.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,946 posts, read 5,345,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Most of what you find in the private sector are creative thinkers, ambitious people who want to move and shake the world with their brilliance. They think and dream big, and eventually become job makers themselves. When I was young the last place I wanted to be was with the state but I was young and thought higher of myself. These days, young crowds from India, China, and Mexico pretty much rule the state hiring. So if you're a white American, it's a futile battle at this point, at least from what I've seen in CA.

Another heads up, the state are known for lobotomizing people, so watch out. If you happen to have your dreams come true and actually land a state job and make it through the minimum period you have to serve in order to become vested, your soul will be sucked out of you along with your brain and any social skills. Oh, but you'll have a pension guaranteed.
While I worked enough years in the private sector to appreciate the upsides of government employment... this is dead-on. For the most part the monotony doesnít bother me, there are days where I feel like Winston Smith from the movie adaptation of 1984: the endless banks of cubicles, chained to a a chair with catheter and IV coffee drip. Okay, I exaggerated a bit. But itís the kind of environment where an ambitious go-getter will slowly die inside a little each day. Thankfully, I am not an ambitious go-getter.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 767,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I did. I have actually taken multiple personality tests. According to Myers Briggs I am an ISFJ. From what I have read we are the helpers or defenders. I started college in 06 and changed my majors several times. I actually went to school for nursing, but did not complete my degree. Right now I am kind of lost. I would have thought by now I would have had my life together. I did want to accomplish a goal of completing my 4 yr degree. Sadly, it will only be in General Studies. I guess I am pretty pathetic.
https://personalitymax.com/personali...isfj-defender/

Quote:
ISFJ Career Matches
People with the ISFJ personality type may find satisfaction with the following careers which tend to match well with their Defender personality.

Administrator
Career Counselor
Child Care
Police Officer
Church Worker
Clerical Supervisor
Counselor
Medical Doctor
Social Worker
Actor/Actress
Counselor
Human Resources
Medical Technologist
Office Manager
Shopkeeper
Researcher
Scientist
Senior Manager
Early Childhood Development
Librarian
Nurse
Auditor
Bookkeeper
Business Analyst
Health Service
Homemaker
Writer
Military
Accountant
Administrative Assistant
I would recommend auditor, tons of government auditor jobs out there.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:29 PM

81 posts, read 45,170 times
I’ve only been with the government for three years but, I can see my current benefits outweigh what I got in the private sector, better rate increases, more days off, more sick and vacation days, and (as of yet) no threats of layoffs which happened quite regularly when I worked for corporations. Back then I never even considered retirement because I didn’t think it was an option, now I can actually make decisions about it. No job is perfect and working for the state was never in my plans but, so far, it’s been better than I expected.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM

11,392 posts, read 8,640,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
If it is unionized, usually there is a built-in step movement that employees will get pay raise every 2-3 years at 3-4% even though there is no promotion. And new contract will be negotiated between the government and union every 3-4 years which usually guarantees pay raise matching inflation.
Not exactly. The raises are built in. anyone can Google the pay scale. The union doesn't have much strength at least in my organization where it's illegal to strike. I'm very happy with my career - and I'm at the end of it. But I chose to move around to move up.

OP maybe facilities. I'm a helper. I love it. Mgmt

Old 07-10-2019, 09:25 PM

57,415 posts, read 55,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Why settle for a 35k government jobs? There are state/federal jobs where people make 70k, 80k, 100k+ and they don't have PhD's or MD's or JD's, etc., some don't even have Master Degrees.
Huh, I made $100K+ when I retired, and I didn't have ANY degree. (Public transportation agency.)

That likely wouldn't happen now, but years ago they used to promote people from the clerical ranks into management when they took on work above their level and made themselves indispensable. Now there are no clerical ranks, and you need a degree just to get the job the clerks and secretaries used to do.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 PM

85 posts, read 20,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
https://personalitymax.com/personali...isfj-defender/

I would recommend auditor, tons of government auditor jobs out there.
Homemaker sounds good.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM

5,517 posts, read 3,455,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh, I made $100K+ when I retired, and I didn't have ANY degree. (Public transportation agency.)

That likely wouldn't happen now, but years ago they used to promote people from the clerical ranks into management when they took on work above their level and made themselves indispensable. Now there are no clerical ranks, and you need a degree just to get the job the clerks and secretaries used to do.
No doubt, my Dad barely graduated High School, served in the Navy during Vietnam for 4 years, never went to college, started off as a meter reader for a local gas and water utility back in the 60's after getting out of the Navy and slowly worked his way up the customer service ranks and eventually became management and was earning $120k+ when he took early retirement at the age of 58 back in 2004. While he never worked for the government he ended up with a great pension and medical for the rest of his life, he'll be 73 in a weeks and has no regrets whatsoever for his career choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment