U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 AM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times

Advertisements

The same nasty games that are played in private sectors are now played in public sectors the difference being unions have migrated from private to public employees so management gets away with less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 AM

9,027 posts, read 14,806,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It is more complicated than that. I have flipped back and forth between private and public sector jobs, as they both have their own set of pros and cons.

You need to ask many questions. Probably the biggest one is, are you willing to stay in your government sector career until you retire? That doesn't mean staying at your particular location, but it usually does mean staying in your federal, state, county, or city system. A pension does you little good if you don't retire from that system.

What are your pension benefits? Typically they are a percentage of final average salary times years of service. What are the details on yours?

For 401k, what kind of match are you looking at?

Are you going to contribute additional savings on your own, or are you likely to do the minimum?

Do you have career advancement potential?

What other benefits do you get with the government job, what are typical benefits in the private sector version of your industry, and what is important to you?

In that sense I would say private when I'm younger and save up my money, then public when I'm older. That is what I basically did, switching sometime in my 40s. (I'm 51)

Old 07-06-2019, 11:21 AM

1,371 posts, read 461,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Nothing is guaranteed anymore but a government job is the closest thing to it. While I think that the ivy league graduates will still snub their noses at government jobs, people from second tier schools will flock to them in record numbers. As the private sector (ivy league crowd) gets more exploitative of the rank and file, government jobs will become more competitive.
A Harvard law school graduate is my supervisor. First job out of college, we started together 8 yrs ago, she promoted last year. I was not and am not interested in supervising in this particular environment.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:29 AM

215 posts, read 89,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r03ix9A View Post
Idiots get hired, and keep their jobs because it's too much trouble/effort to get rid of them.
In my limited experience this is more of a problem in the public sector. After doing five years in the Army and then moving to a small private company, it was refreshing that, in the private company, people who were noticeably unintelligent and lazy actually got fired after a few months. Whereas frustratingly unproductive people hung around in the Army for years. Maybe it's better in civilian gov't jobs though.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:59 AM

3,755 posts, read 1,363,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I know this question has been asked a 1,000 times, but I am just curious. I am in my early 30 and have worked for the gov. for about 7 years. I guess I have gotten a bit spoiled with benefits pension etc. although I don't really make that much money. My question is if you were capable, would you rather have a gov. job making the above amount or a 50k job in the private sector. I am a bit scared because I have no clue how to manage 401ks etc and have not heard anything positive about them. Maybe someone else can shed some light on how they work.
Govt job due to stability for me.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:45 PM

6,837 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Nothing is guaranteed anymore but a government job is the closest thing to it. While I think that the ivy league graduates will still snub their noses at government jobs, people from second tier schools will flock to them in record numbers. As the private sector (ivy league crowd) gets more exploitative of the rank and file, government jobs will become more competitive.
Riley above provided a good breakdown, but the reality is, at least for professional positions, qualified people are not flocking to government jobs in record numbers. The only people flocking to government jobs are those who aren't qualified but believe in the "cushy government job" myth. I see a lot of those myths repeated often on CD.

I'm not claiming gov jobs are bad jobs, but they aren't the cushy job so many seem to believe. The qualification standards are high, expectations are high, and the rewards are more in the mission accomplished than great financial rewards. You will earn a decent pay in the government and you will do some amazing things. But you won't get rich.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
One thing to keep in mind about pension plans--the employee doesn't lose their cumulative contribution, even if they haven't reach the vesting period. The only exception I've experienced was a private-sector company I worked for early in my career, but that plan was 100% employer funded.

Then, if you reach the vesting period (usually something like five years or so), you keep your contribution, the employer contribution, plus earnings on those contributions. You just have to have a certain minimum years of service (like 20 years), or have been an "older" age when you started working there, in order to qualify for a monthly pension payout upon retirement.

It's not like you just lose out completely if you leave employment prior to the vesting period.
After 2011, my pension doesn’t have a vesting period. We used to have 5 years you can get employer contribution. If I want the employer contribution, I need to work another 30 years and retire to get it. Most pensions are getting rid of it. I can get my own contribution though.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
that's nice, does anyone ever plan to get fired/laidoff/rif?
We had a girl in the process of being fired, but chose to quit instead.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 PM

229 posts, read 27,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGuacomole View Post
I know this question has been asked a 1,000 times, but I am just curious. I am in my early 30 and have worked for the gov. for about 7 years. I guess I have gotten a bit spoiled with benefits pension etc. although I don't really make that much money. My question is if you were capable, would you rather have a gov. job making the above amount or a 50k job in the private sector. I am a bit scared because I have no clue how to manage 401ks etc and have not heard anything positive about them. Maybe someone else can shed some light on how they work.
50K no question, the $15K invested annually at 7% would never compensate for the difference in any government benefits, early retirement, etc.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:40 PM

3,753 posts, read 2,119,516 times
So many suckers that think they will last in the private sector these days. Did you live through the recession? You think meritocracy and your value will pay off? please... It doesn't anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment