Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:22 AM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Obviously if someone opts out of paying into a union they shouldn't receive benefits from collective bargaining. I started by saying that. To repeat myself, unions should not force someone at a particular company to join.

Unions should be a choice to someone at a workplace. Not a strong armed "join or you don't get the job". Until they do that, they won't be treated with respect. If unions can't survive without the money from people they forced to join, they are a racketeering scheme, they aren't anything useful in a practical sense.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post

Unions are great for the lazy, the stupid, and the inept. .
Very true.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:02 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Obviously if someone opts out of paying into a union they shouldn't receive benefits from collective bargaining. I started by saying that. To repeat myself, unions should not force someone at a particular company to join.

Unions should be a choice to someone at a workplace. Not a strong armed "join or you don't get the job". Until they do that, they won't be treated with respect. If unions can't survive without the money from people they forced to join, they are a racketeering scheme, they aren't anything useful in a practical sense.

They are a choice. Nobody has to join a union any more than they have to apply at Pizza Hut. So whatcha whining about?

Old 07-07-2019, 12:07 PM

The choice should be all states should be RTW.

Then those that wish to join, can. Their colleagues who opt not to work right along side them.

Janus was just the start. Court cases will follow - on private sector unions.

Same wonderful SC associates.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:20 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
They are a choice. Nobody has to join a union any more than they have to apply at Pizza Hut. So whatcha whining about?
It seems you didn't actually read my post first. That's fine, but please try to read it first, then respond. Unions should be a choice to someone at a workplace. Not a strong armed "join or you don't get the job".

Saying "just don't apply to the company" if you don't want to be unionized is like knowing the mob is shaking down local businesses as part of a racketeering scheme, and your answer is "just don't open a business in that neighborhood".

I'll repeat myself, so you can respond to the point I made. Unions should be a choice in every workplace. If unions can't survive without the money from people they force to join, they are a racketeering scheme, not something useful.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 PM

515 posts, read 359,867 times
I've heard all the anti-union stuff my whole life. Companies don't want unions because they want to consolidate wealth and power. Look at income inequality in America. How did that happen? By convincing people to not band together and negotiate for better wages, benefits, and conditions. Of course there are problems with unions. Some are no good. Same with companies. But step back and think about how real change happens. Take the teacher strikes across the country in 2018. For the most part they were successful, and they got raises and reductions in class size. Would that have been possible without banding together for change? No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E..._United_States

Old 07-07-2019, 01:19 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:

This must then include any scheduled salary increases and negotiated performance increases. I've observed instances where people who were in non union administrative jobs did not get raises for five years.

Quote:

If you look at the Salaries in the right to work South, I rest my case.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I've never needed, or wanted to, "communicate with management collectively". I'm capable of standing on my own two feet.

No, they don't, except for the lowest common denominator.

No, they don't.

Wrong. Except, again, for the lowest common denominator.

I don't know anyone who's ever been fired for taking maternity leave.

Wrong. Discipline becomes more complex, and then non-existent. The lowest common denominator thrives while those who work for a living suffer.

You mean like in every other job? Wow.

No, they aren't. Workplace shootings are usually at union shops.

So does every other job.

Unions are great for the lazy, the stupid, and the inept. Anyone who is capable of working for a living is far better off doing just than than mewling to a bunch of crime bosses who are buisily feathering their own nests. Unions are a rotting leftover of failure and corruption from the past, and the sooner they're dead the better off we'll all be. Oh, except for that darn lowest common denominator again...

Your hatred of unions goes beyond obvious.
You've either been well indoctrinated to hate unions or perhaps you don't have the academic credentials to qualify for unionized positions. Many doctors are in unions. You can hardly call them lazy or stupid when they are the very cream of our society. It has been my personal experience that there are fine hard working people in unionized positions.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
"Excellent" workers do not need any special "protection", and they sure don't want their salary clamped to the performance of the lowest common denominator. Anyone who claims to be an "excellent" employee who wants a union isn't so excellent after all.

Your opinions when it comes to unions are nonsense. Human nature includes jealousy. Jealous people in positions of power often attack and attempt to destroy the excellent. Your lack of life experience shows that you are not experienced enough to pass judgement on unions.

Even in union shops the cream rises to the top.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:56 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Your opinions when it comes to unions are nonsense.
Your lack of life experience shows that you are not experienced enough to pass judgement on unions.
So those of us that have been on both sides of the fence are being insulted for having REAL and VALID opinions about unions.

This thread is nothing but BS propaganda for an element of the workplace that has long outlived its usefulness.

Unions may be good for some workers these days (for reasons we can debate), but a lot more people seem to do better without them! And that is a pure fact that I've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment