Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

I keep being told I should move to Vancouver to learn more about the moviemaking business, but the cost living is so high there, that it's hard to find a job that is high paying enough to live there.

I keep being told by others just get any job you can, even if it means working at McDonalds or something like that, but working at McDonald's or a place like that doesn't pay enough for the cost of living in the places available there, even the less costly ones.

So I how is it that people who work at low paying jobs there afford to live there? The people working retail for example, or fast food, which doesn't pay much, must have a lot of money saved up to help pay the bills over the years, or something is not computing.

Is there something I am overlooking as to how I can live in a place like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 08:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
They live in cheap, crappy housing in not great neighborhoods with a long commute. And they share the house or apartment with roommates.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I keep being told I should move to Vancouver to learn more about the moviemaking business, but the cost living is so high there, that it's hard to find a job that is high paying enough to live there.

I keep being told by others just get any job you can, even if it means working at McDonalds or something like that, but working at McDonald's or a place like that doesn't pay enough for the cost of living in the places available there, even the less costly ones.

So I how is it that people who work at low paying jobs there afford to live there? The people working retail for example, or fast food, which doesn't pay much, must have a lot of money saved up to help pay the bills over the years, or something is not computing.

Is there something I am overlooking as to how I can live in a place like that?
When you cannot get a high paying job to live in a costly city, you need to work two three jobs. I know a few who worked one full-time and two part-time jobs. They just worked, worked, worked. They slept very little. Until they got a higher paying job, they quitted one or both part-time ones.

In addition, you need to find a roommate, so you don't have to pay so much for rent.

It's hard, but it's not impossible.

When I was in my 20s, I moved from a small town to a very big city, all by myself. I was scared at first, but I tried to be brave, and I was doing well eventually.

Now I consider my life is good. If I did not dare to move to that big city, I would be still in a small town; I might be able to get a good job, or might be not. But I did not want to live in a small town anyway. Usually, you have more opportunities in big cities.

Besides, from your posts that I read, I guess you are a male. It's easier for males to move anywhere than females because they are stronger physically. And if you are young and single, it's very easy. Just backpack and go. All you need is to have courage. Don't wait until it's too late.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:46 PM

Oh okay, well the problem with working say two or three jobs, is that if I want to learn more about the filmmaking business and get on sets, I will not have time to work three jobs, probably not even two, with all the shooting schedules I would have to attend.

Working on sets could pay too, but not sure if they would pay enough, especially if I am willing to volunteer to get on for some.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Oh okay, well the problem with working say two or three jobs, is that if I want to learn more about the filmmaking business and get on sets, I will not have time to work three jobs, probably not even two, with all the shooting schedules I would have to attend.

Working on sets could pay too, but not sure if they would pay enough, especially if I am willing to volunteer to get on for some.
So you have to live very frugally. Don't buy anything not necessary at all. Work hard, save money, go to school to upgrade yourself, or learn things provided from your workplace. Until you become successful, have a good job, then you can indulge yourself a bit.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Okay thanks, well when it comes to living in the average rent, I read that the average apartment is about $1230 USD per month, and that is not including food and utilities. But most jobs do not pay that per month, so that is the problem, even with being frugal, most jobs cannot pay the rent.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
They sling coke.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
It's easier for males to move anywhere than females because they are stronger physically. .
I disagree with this. I've moved all over the place by myself and it didn't require more physical strength than a man. It requires mental fortitude, which women have in spades.

As far as physically moving boxes, I moved my furniture and all of my boxes by myself my last move two years ago at the age of 61. Put box on dolly, move dolly, take box off of dolly. Not that hard. I prefer to hire people to do it, but didn't have the money this last time and I survived.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I disagree with this. I've moved all over the place by myself and it didn't require more physical strength than a man. It requires mental fortitude, which women have in spades.

As far as physically moving boxes, I moved my furniture and all of my boxes by myself my last move two years ago at the age of 61. Put box on dolly, move dolly, take box off of dolly. Not that hard. I prefer to hire people to do it, but didn't have the money this last time and I survived.
Bravo!

Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, well when it comes to living in the average rent, I read that the average apartment is about $1230 USD per month, and that is not including food and utilities. But most jobs do not pay that per month, so that is the problem, even with being frugal, most jobs cannot pay the rent.
Right, so you rent an apartment with below average rent. It will also have below average location and amenities. Then you share that. More likely you rent a room in an apartment that somebody else has the lease on.

You then get a job bartending or waiting tables, and another working retail or food service during the day. When you get a chance to work in a movie set, you quit the day job, and swap shifts on your evening job. When the shoot ends, you pick up another minwage job.

You eat the employee meal where you work, you but clothes at thrift stores, and you take the bus. It will be really hard, but that is what people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment