Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:25 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theroadnottaken View Post
No, I just am scared of being identified. I will say it involves a disability and accommodations being rejected. I want 80k to leave fully. They also offered a letter of reference. Their monetary compensation is peanuts. As of now I have not filed a claim with the EEOC.
then file the EEOC claim. It seems like they are not going to pay you 80K if it's been this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 02:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I worked with a guy (Federal govt., non-union, fairly high level job). He had a drinking problem and was involved with all sorts of time falsification. He should have been fired. Was on admin leave for close to 18 months. They brought him back but decided he was such “damaged goods” he needed to transfer to another city. But they didn’t send him some place horrible...they sent him to a city which was ideal for his favorite sport. Think something like Florida or Arizona for a golf nut.
Yeah once it goes back past the time that time cards can be edited (something like 2 months for many time entry systems) it's egg on the face of the employer, as much as the employee.

If you're lucky enough and solidified in your job with enough tribal knowledge and connections that it would hurt more to replace you than keep you on... good on you.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:09 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Not administrative leave but I've had a number of co-workers over the years who had some really ugly life event happen that didn't qualify for disability insurance who were kept on payroll for a month or a couple of months while they gave their full attention to that other issue. Kid with a big health problem. Death of spouse. Parent with dementia. I had a month like that 4 years ago when my stepfather had his health event and my mother with dementia had to get moved to assisted living. I'd check email and that was about it.

I don't recall "administrative leave". Ever. You're either working productively or you're terminated. There might be a severance deal with a contract and "laid off" instead of fired to avoid any wrongful termination suit.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 3,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
then file the EEOC claim. It seems like they are not going to pay you 80K if it's been this long.
Well, they just brought up the severance a few weeks ago. They did not offer it the entire time.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:46 PM

403 posts, read 272,949 times
Quote:
Well, they just brought up the severance a few weeks ago. They did not offer it the entire time.
You're also eating into what they would pay you to go away. With an active EEOC claim, it's more likely they'll keep you active until that's put to bed (you'll likely lose, people like to think the ADA can do a bunch of stuff, but it can't - it will slow them down though).

File the EEOC, then get cracking on the job search. You best outcome would be to find a new job and have an offer in hand right after they give you their best and final "peanuts" offer.

Or go on SDI, if you're actually disabled and cannot work.

As for the letter of reference, that is completely and totally meaningless. I've had people come to me with those and the first thing I ask (unless it's a long distance relocation) is "Well, why aren't you still working there?
It's fun watching those mental gymnastics.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMan View Post
Union or Non-Union?
Union, maybe if in a state that allows public service to organize. Any other industry (private sector) would go w/o until it was deemed they were eligible for back-pay.

Non-union, once again w/ public service probably being the only scenario where this can happen.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM

403 posts, read 272,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Union, maybe if in a state that allows public service to organize. Any other industry (private sector) would go w/o until it was deemed they were eligible for back-pay.

Non-union, once again w/ public service probably being the only scenario where this can happen.
It could happen with an extremely disorganized, risk-averse, entity as well.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:07 PM

9 posts, read 3,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMan View Post
You're also eating into what they would pay you to go away. With an active EEOC claim, it's more likely they'll keep you active until that's put to bed (you'll likely lose, people like to think the ADA can do a bunch of stuff, but it can't - it will slow them down though).

File the EEOC, then get cracking on the job search. You best outcome would be to find a new job and have an offer in hand right after they give you their best and final "peanuts" offer.

Or go on SDI, if you're actually disabled and cannot work.

As for the letter of reference, that is completely and totally meaningless. I've had people come to me with those and the first thing I ask (unless it's a long distance relocation) is "Well, why aren't you still working there?
It's fun watching those mental gymnastics.
I think they meant a letter of reference for my personnel file basically saying I left in good standing, it also says they cannot make any disparaging remarks. In all honesty, I really was not a bad employee. I just pissed the wrong people off. If I were to find a job while being on leave wouldn't they be able to find out about it? Also this company really does not like to pay unemployment claims.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:39 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
I think they meant a letter of reference for my personnel file basically saying I left in good standing, it also says they cannot make any disparaging remarks. In all honesty, I really was not a bad employee. I just pissed the wrong people off. If I were to find a job while being on leave wouldn't they be able to find out about it? Also this company really does not like to pay unemployment claims.
Do you mean start working elsewhere getting a paycheck from the new employer while still on leave? That's fraud.

If you mean, you put your resume out there and interview for a job while on leave, I don't see how they could know unless you tell them yourself.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:40 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
For starters, I did not do anything wrong or atrocious, however I do not want to go into detail. I thought for sure I was getting fired but my company presented me with a Compromise, Release Settlement Agreement which I have not signed because I do not agree to the settlement amount. I have always been a good employee, but I am wondering when they are finally going to drop the axe when they see I won't sign. It is going on 4 months now... I mean I enjoy being at home and still on payroll but it is tiring.

Thoughts
Come on, this is anonymous. Spill the beans. What did you do? What do they think you did? What did you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment