Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:02 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry she lost her job, but she straight up LIED about her education to get it. Served her right.

Employers desire people with a college degree, and it's easy to get one, depending on the school you attend and its affordability for you. But if you apply yourself, you can get a BA degree, at least. Too bad the company wasn't smart enough to verify her degree before they hired her.

Lesson learned for all.

ps. even "nice" people are liars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 08:57 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yet most companies wouldn't hesitate to lie to their employees if it means a higher stock price, more bonus money for executives or mass layoffs to save them money. The double standard is sickening. SMH.
No one says life is fair.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
True.

But do they get to lie? I don't think so.

Telling someone "we'll keep you in mind for the future" may actually be a lie, but that would not be illegal for a number of reasons, the foremost is that they (seemingly) have already decided to not hire the person.

If an employer intentionally misrepresents to an applicant the job description, and/or requirements, I am pretty sure that is not legal.

If you aren't sure about that, start your own business, lie to all of your potential employees, hire the most intelligent, and see what happens.

Cheers.
Why is that a lie? Are they hiring person A without a degree while telling persons B, C, and D that they must have a degree? If the qualification is required across the board even though it might not necessarily be needed to do the job, then it isn’t really a lie. In many cases, companies may hire someone with the intention that they will be able to train people to move into higher level positions. It might be that the higher level positions require degrees and in the past they have hired people without degrees only to have them leave because there is no growth potential.

I knew someone who lied about a degree to get a job. He actually had dropped out of HS a week or two before graduation and I think he just had a GED. He told me it took them almost a year to figure it out back in the mid-‘90s. At the time, it was a really desirable company in the area, but you absolutely could not get in without a degree.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
You don't have to say you have or don't have in an interview if they don't ask. It's important to answer accurately in the job application. Because the hiring manager may not have a requirement but the job application simply validates your background. Years later if they audit your background you answered truthfully, they can't fire you for telling the truth even though a job requirement says so but the interviewer did not ask.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
How is telling potential employees a degree is required when it really isn't, not fraud?
Asking if you have a degree or not is pretty much black and white. Either you have it, or you don't.

Saying that I want someone with a degree is simply an opinion. Outside of certain occupations that require a license to practice (e.g M.D.), There is no standard with regards to job qualification.

An ad for a fry cook that says a degree is required is simply stating a preference by the employer that they would like to have someone with a degree for this job. The preference may be outrageous or make little sense. But it's hardly trying to defraud anyone.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:23 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
How is telling potential employees a degree is required when it really isn't, not fraud?
If the job description that is posted asks for a degree, that is the employer’s prerogative. If it’s for a job that in reality shouldn’t need it, that’s still the employer’s prerogative. It may be dumb as it will limit the number of applicants, but it is not fraud.

It’s also at the employer’s discretion to accept a candidate who may not meet all of the requirements.

Fraud means there is an intent to deceive for financial or personal gain. How is requiring a degree fraud?

Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm sorry she lost her job, but she straight up LIED about her education to get it. Served her right.

Employers desire people with a college degree, and it's easy to get one, depending on the school you attend and its affordability for you. But if you apply yourself, you can get a BA degree, at least. Too bad the company wasn't smart enough to verify her degree before they hired her.

Lesson learned for all.

ps. even "nice" people are liars.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I showed a few people who didn’t have a degree (but worried about their future marketability) how they could get a degree within a year for around $6-10K. I know this because I was one of those people and did it myself.

Even if you didn’t lie on your application, and got in despite not having a degree, it can limit your upward mobility later.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
I wouldn’t tolerate lies from any of my employees. Neither would I lie to my employees, which I have been told to do on more than one occasion. To my detriment I was told by a senior executive that the one thing he always knew he could count on from me was the truth. And no, that was not considered to be a positive attribute by this particular executive.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yep, it's all a terrible process. I'll agree with you there. Which is why you'll never hear me slapping anyone's hand for lying or embellishing a resume or in an interview to get ahead. Do what you need to do because that's what corporations do!

I'm mildly curious...when is the last time you held a job?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
True.

But do they get to lie? I don't think so.

Telling someone "we'll keep you in mind for the future" may actually be a lie, but that would not be illegal for a number of reasons, the foremost is that they (seemingly) have already decided to not hire the person.

If an employer intentionally misrepresents to an applicant the job description, and/or requirements, I am pretty sure that is not legal.

If you aren't sure about that, start your own business, lie to all of your potential employees, hire the most intelligent, and see what happens.

Cheers.

I'm not sure if it's true anymore (it's been awhile since I've worked in H.R.) but it used to be a requirement to hold on to resumes and applications for a determined amount of time. I want to say 2 years? I don't remember for sure) SOOO...they're not lying (technically) when they say they'll keep you in mind for the future. They'll keep your application on file...along with 500 other applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment