U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-15-2008, 12:09 PM

217 posts, read 739,616 times
Default Job offer...let current employer know

Question. I have a job that I really love. One of our fellow companies has offered me a job and has been recruiting me pretty hard the last few days. Is it wrong to let me current employer know that I am being recruited even though I have no intentions of taking the other job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,204,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster07 View Post
Question. I have a job that I really love. One of our fellow companies has offered me a job and has been recruiting me pretty hard the last few days. Is it wrong to let me current employer know that I am being recruited even though I have no intentions of taking the other job?
And your point would be....????? To show your current employer that you could be snagged anytime? Personally, I wouldn't unless you really want to take the job. If you're hinting for a raise, why don't you just come straight out?

Unread 04-15-2008, 06:02 PM

6,005 posts, read 7,567,844 times
I think this is tricky. This happened to my husband who was not getting paid what he deserved and his boss was just fired. He went into the GM and plainly stated "This company is trying to recruit me, I want to make sure A) my job is secure and B) I get paid what I am worth"

He got a huge bump in pay and job security.

Unread 04-16-2008, 01:33 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,919,130 times
Quote:
Only tell your current manager IF you are confident that you could be happy with another job. Even with the small possibility of actually receiving a raise from your manager in the attempt to keep you, there's a very real possibility that they will start looking for your replacement as soon as you finish your conversation with them.

I would look at this type of situation as a need-to-know basis only - your current manager doesn't need to know since you indeed don't want to take the job offer available at this time. Your manager also doesn't need to learn regardless of whether it is true that you're currently willing to entertain job offers (or seek them out). Letting them know these things is just a lose-lose situation, seriously.

Last edited by mbuszu; 04-16-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Unread 04-16-2008, 03:41 PM

7,050 posts, read 16,851,063 times
Never show your hand.

The only time you tell your employer about another offer is after your resignation.

Unread 04-16-2008, 06:18 PM

520 posts, read 1,251,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Never show your hand.

The only time you tell your employer about another offer is after your resignation.
This is the best advice in the thread.

Unread 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM

13,915 posts, read 15,162,847 times
Quote:
Are you going to take the other job? If not, no reason to PO your boss by telling him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment