U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:35 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,124,480 times

Advertisements

if so, how have you/did you handle it?

specifically, anxiety related to public speaking and performance. anyone either overcome it or still have a successful career in spite of it?

let's discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 10:39 AM

1,795 posts, read 593,666 times
I've dealt with anxiety in general. Talk to a therapist. It's always going to be easier getting advise from a professional.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:08 AM

17,542 posts, read 10,437,068 times
Public Speaking Anxiety?

Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM

4,162 posts, read 1,177,713 times
In the mid 90's I had to give a presentation to our crew of about 20 people. Halfway through I started to get red in the face, breathe raggedly, mind racing, total panic attack. I wanted to get up and run away, but I kept my head down, read my notes word for word and made it though the presentation. No one ever commented on my state, so it probably wasn't noticeable. It's happened before, and I occasionally get panic attacks now, even though I've been retired since 2011. They only last for 20 to 30 seconds, so i can handle it. As I get older (65 now) I seem to get fewer and fewer. It's been at least a year since my last one. I've never talked to a therapist about it.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:49 PM

8,393 posts, read 11,227,389 times
Talk to a therapist. They'll probably prescribe Xanax or something similar. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:08 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,133,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
if so, how have you/did you handle it?

specifically, anxiety related to public speaking and performance. anyone either overcome it or still have a successful career in spite of it?

let's discuss...
I found that organization, preparation and practice in front of a friend helped immensely. I used to hate performing but now I don't mind it for topics I really know and care about.

When I say preparation, I mean the content of the performance/speech, not just rehearsing.

Decide what you want to say and write out an outline of the main points, not dozens of tightly scribbled note cards. You won't be able to read them. Keep the content simple and stick to what you really know so you won't get flustered if you have to ad lib or have to answer questions. Spend the time organizing the material and simplifying it. Pare down. Often the biggest worry speakers have is what to do if they forget something, misspeak, or run short on time. So, plan to cover less ground and take a little more time to do it. If you don't feel rushed, you are less likely to panic or misspeak. Better to have time left over than run late. It relaxes the audience which in turn can relax you.

If you have lots of material you feel MUST be provided, use handouts or CDs with backup material your audience can refer to later. It means you don't have to cover it...a big relief. Use visuals to make your main points...they can also help you stay on track.

If someone does stump you with a question, be honest and say you want to double check a reference before answering. Say you don't want to give them the wrong information. People appreciate accuracy and that you care. They'll give you a break. Say you'll be happy to check into it and follow up. Then do it.

When I say practice in front of a friend, I don't mean a bestie who will only say you are great or who doesn't know anything about the topic. I mean someone you respect who will be tactfully honest. You could end up with a great ally and mentor. Many people consider it a compliment to be asked.

Above all, remember that no single presentation is going to end the world (unless you are some high powered international peace negotiator...not likely is it?). People flub things. They are forgiven. Everyone in that room is human. Most people don't like standing up in front of an audience. You know the old "trick" about imagining them naked? Its a reminder that no one looks ideal at every moment.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-11-2019 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 07:52 AM

43,847 posts, read 42,466,196 times
Do you mean speaking to large groups of strangers, or regular in-office presentations?

Is public speaking a required part of your job? Maybe you should look for a position where that is not part of the requirements?

That's part of the "fit" that is so important.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 AM

328 posts, read 400,716 times
This is very common. I generally have trouble presenting in front of co-workers unless it's on topics that I'm passionate about. In such cases, I just power through it and the experience helps with other presentations. Anyways, keep at it and eventually you'll feel more comfortable. Join the Toastmasters if such a group is available at your company. A girl at my company came in as a senior associate, joined Toastmasters as an Officer, and it helped her to be able to speak up in meetings to impress management enough for promotions to Manager faster than her peers.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 AM

24,055 posts, read 17,905,479 times
On most days.

I chip away at things one at a time.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 AM

126 posts, read 48,408 times
I know of people who have taken public speaking courses or had sessions with a professional. I don't know what the cost, but one or two sessions might be really helpful and enough to teach you what to do to get in the zone so it doesn't cause anxiety - and will potentially make you a more effective speaker. I don't think there are many people for whom this comes naturally and people often develop over a period of time, so you're not alone.

I also think Parnassia gave you some great advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment