Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

In the same position I would have clawed my way into an exam asap. And corrected my resume.

Your error probably gave you an edge over someone more deserving of the apprenticeship. Do you see a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboyclub View Post
So, in May of this year, I thought I graduated with a Master of Science degree. I put it on my resume and started applying to hundred of places. I literally applied to about 300 places in about two weeks. I got some phone interviews and was accepted into an internship. At this time, they didn't ask for proof of my degree, and I honestly thought that I had it.

It wasn't until sometime in June when I realized I was not awarded my degree. The reason being the department head failed to tell me that I had to take a final oral exam to complete my degree requirements. He actually told me months before that I didn't have to take it. I didn't know what the heck to do. I couldn't schedule the oral because I had to attend the internship with very short notice.

I decided to go to the internship, because I did not want to cancel the only opportunity I got at a job just to take some test that someone I trusted told me I didn't have to take.

Fast forward about three months and I did good during the internship. The company that sponsored the internship wants to hire me and are now asking for proof of my degree.

I did not intentionally lie on my resume. I thought that I had the degree at the time I wrote it and sent it off. I completed everything but that one oral test. I am still trying to schedule that test for sometime next month. I even thought I could do it during the internship, but I was too busy.

I really want this job and I have to tell them that my degree certificate is not yet awarded until I take that oral exam, probably sometime next month.

Do you guys think I am totally screwed? Or, do you think it's not a huge deal? The job doesn't even require a master's degree. I am just worried about having said that I have it on my resume. I should have came clean during the internship, but nobody asked about it.
Personally I wouldnt hire you for being so careless and negligent. The company HR most likely wont hire you citing policies. But if they really liked your performance and you as a person, they can still waive off and hire you by giving some concessions. As a company they need good people than some piece of paper. ( But if they decide to lay you off at a later date, these points would still be on record and used against you )

Last edited by shanv3; 09-07-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 12:35 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
I was in a similar situation where our graduating class was told repeatedly that we did NOT need a certain class to graduate THAT semester. Fast forward half-way through the semester and OOPSIE well, we did need the class -- affected a whole group of students. The dept scrambled to cobble together a 2-day a week class to get us the requirement as May rapidly approached ... but if you were on student loans? Well, they weren't available to pay for that 3-credit graduate level class.

Fun times.

Do what you need to get through it and forget about finger pointing. The school will not take any responsibility for the mistake. Just it done and get on with.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 10,502 times
We all have different experiences. Even during my BS, I was never really assigned an advisor. The reason being was because I double majored and minored in three different subjects. I would just speak to a random professor from whatever department I was currently in and told them to take the advising hold off of my account. Then, I would choose my own classes and do my own thing. This was easier to do in undergrad, because there is a nice digital system you can access that automatically tells you what you need to do. That didn't exist in grad school and I similarly was never really assigned an advisor. I took classes from three or four different departments and kind of did my own thing. I followed what I found online. However, this time around I received faulty information when discussing my degree with someone who I considered as one of my advisors. I would talk to him occasionally about my degree and future plans. On paper, my true advisor is the dude that funded my RAship, but this guy was in a different department than the one my degree was being awarded. None of the meetings I had concerning my degree were lengthy or very thorough.

So far, I don't think they are going to rescind the job offer. I am going to take the oral test as soon as I can. My degree will be awarded in December, assuming I don't fail the test.

Last edited by gameboyclub; 09-07-2019 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 02:03 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboyclub View Post
We all have different experiences. Even during my BS, I was never really assigned an advisor. The reason being was because I double majored and minored in three different subjects. I would just speak to a random professor from whatever department I was currently in and told them to take the advising hold off of my account. Then, I would choose my own classes and do my own thing. This was easier to do in undergrad, because there is a nice digital system you can access that automatically tells you what you need to do. That didn't exist in grad school and I similarly was never really assigned an advisor. I took classes from three or four different departments and kind of did my own thing. I followed what I found online. However, this time around I received faulty information when discussing my degree with someone who I considered as one of my advisors. I would talk to him occasionally about my degree and future plans. On paper, my true advisor is the dude that funded my RAship, but this guy was in a different department than the one my degree was being awarded. None of the meetings I had concerning my degree were lengthy or very thorough.

So far, I don't think they are going to rescind the job offer. I am going to take the oral test as soon as I can. My degree will be awarded in December, assuming I don't fail the test.
Excellent news - best outcome possible!
Congrats.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:28 PM

285 posts, read 204,381 times
Welcome to real life/working world, gameboy. The real game is on!

Keep up the hard work, I'd still see what HR says. Do the exam and put all this nonsense behind you. Enjoy your work and find some passion in it too.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Well, as long as it worked out in the end.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:21 PM

351 posts, read 271,631 times
I would just refuse the job opportunity until you get your degree, or if you already started working for them then maybe they will just forget about it or you can just show them a copy of your transcript which shows all the classes you took and GPA.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Excellent news - best outcome possible!
Congrats.
He only "thinks" they wont rescind the offer.

Where I studied, if you passed in June and awarded in OCtober, that means you failed some courses. OP says he has some "oral" test but no one knows if he has to take to complete any other full course itself! I dont find his story convincing.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
So they didn't notice their classmates attending graduation being handed a diploma and they couldn't walk on graduation and didn't get a diploma? Didn't notice all the parties being held for graduation? The signs in people's cars? Their family and friends didn't attend and asked about their graduation either? They are taking on huge debt for student loans and don't even bother to read the college bulletin which contains all these procedures. This must be some institute of higher learning this happens to a LOT of people as you claim.

So how many of your classmates applied for jobs and failed a background check because they didn't actually graduate from the college they thought they did?
You seem to have this weird idea that actually graduating and getting your degree is synonomous with signage, walking, parties, etc. That's not how it works.

First, you can walk knowing you have 1 or more classes left (many time walking is only in June and some people have one more semester, but want to walk). Second, parties and signs in cars doesn't mean you actually applied for your diploma (aka they check everything before they say yes, you finished, we'll send out a diploma). Third, you don't actually receive your diploma WHEN you walk (well, we didn't at least and IIRC, I didn't get mine for a few months).

Maybe nowadays kids are babied and hand-held with the amount of notifications, reminders, checklists, etc, etc, etc, but when I went to school, I recall one reminder during a class. I only knew about it because I had heard stories about it AND I like to be thorough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment