Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
You seem to have this weird idea that actually graduating and getting your degree is synonomous with signage, walking, parties, etc. That's not how it works.
Yes, of course, you are correct. It is a weird idea to assume that people who attend a college, are on campus for a couple of years or more can be entirely oblivious to any sort of concepts of what is going on around them including notices sent and conversations with fellow students, faculty and notices posted. Reading the college bulletin. Yes, a weird idea of mine indeed. People should just take whatever classes they want and walk out of there when they have enough claiming they have a degree with a diploma in hand. But wait, you must apply for graduation to get a diploma. Another weird idea, that people who have a college degree would not get a diploma either. Wait, let me check, yes, indeed I do declare I have a college diploma on my wall. Isn't that weird, how did that get there? Thanks for straightening us all out on this impeccable piece of logic.

As a hiring manager, I would certainly not be concerned if someone said they had a degree and it failed a background check, I will just assume some professional told them they met all the requirements and just waltzed off campus. I won't for a moment think the person is a liar or simply clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
He only "thinks" they wont rescind the offer.

Where I studied, if you passed in June and awarded in OCtober, that means you failed some courses. OP says he has some "oral" test but no one knows if he has to take to complete any other full course itself! I dont find his story convincing.
As I said in my first posting, this didn't sound believable. It sounded more like someone was floating a writer's idea for a story about a character.

But it was entertaining to see people come out of the woodwork in support for the ultimate slacker character who leaves a college thinking they have a degree without actually having graduated. And it was equally entertaining to see how others who are anti-higher education are quick to blame the college. It just feeds into their belief that someone else is holding them back.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
If I was the OP, I would have checked, double checked, and triple checked that I have everything. Ultimately, that's your responsibility at the end of the day.

Not sure why people are defending the OP when knowing everything at your college is basically college 101.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
If I was the OP, I would have checked, double checked, and triple checked that I have everything. Ultimately, that's your responsibility at the end of the day.

Not sure why people are defending the OP when knowing everything at your college is basically college 101.
in the old days, people would have listed the degree as in "progress with anticipated date"... and not feel the need to lie about having a degree they did not. Then if this situation comes up, they can say they are working with the college to fix it and will be corrected as soon as possible.

he listed he had a degree at the time he wrote the resume, when he did not in fact have it. It wasn't his anticipation of it or he would have wrote it instead. for whatever reason, people feel that they need to lie on their resume to get hired when simply telling the truth would get them farther

realistically, the HR will brush it off if the manager likes them enough... but a decade down the road, it will come back up and then OP will go through this again, then another decade and new manager, and repeat

Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:

When I applied for graduation, I had to meet with an advisor who went over my entire transcript and checked that I met all of the degree requirements, then he told me that I was all set and that I would be graduating on schedule. And this was for an undergraduate degree. I would imagine that there is much more scrutiny with graduate degrees.

The OP mentioned that the school's website clearly states that an oral exam is required to complete a master's. Why he would then believe a random professor (and by his own admission, he wasn't consulting any individual consistently) when he said that he didn't need it is beyond me. Professors can't waive degree requirements.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 10,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
When I applied for graduation, I had to meet with an advisor who went over my entire transcript and checked that I met all of the degree requirements, then he told me that I was all set and that I would be graduating on schedule.
That's exactly what happened, except the advisor was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
in the old days, people would have listed the degree as in "progress with anticipated date"... and not feel the need to lie about having a degree they did not.
I was told that I had the degree. I didn't deliberately lie about it.

It's obvious not everyone is spending the time to read what I have explained. I don't blame them, but why bother responding if you have not read and understood the problem?

Anyway, I had emailed the HR guy on Friday about what happened. He didn't respond to it. Today, I decided it was best to tell him face to face and make sure that he understands. So, I went into his office and told him. Surprisingly, he told me that it was okay. HE also told me to just get the test done as soon as possible and to not tell anyone else about this. For whatever reason, the HR guy is giving me a pass here. I am extremely lucky.

The test will be over with in October and I will get my degree in December. I feel like a complete jackass about it, but if you read what had actually happened, I think it could have happened to anyone.

This is the last post I will make. I wanted to let everyone know what happened. I didn't get this far in the application process simply because I put master's degree on my resume. I'm not a slacker or a total idiot. The HR guy must have saw something extra in me to let me continue, something that's not just a stamp on a piece of paper.

I have no doubt that I will succeed. Thank you guys for your criticism and reassurance. I know I messed up and did something stupid. Luckily, it didn't cost me my job.

See you guys later,
Gameboyclub

Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
I am curious - What field is the degree in?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboyclub View Post
Anyway, I had emailed the HR guy on Friday about what happened. He didn't respond to it. Today, I decided it was best to tell him face to face and make sure that he understands. So, I went into his office and told him. Surprisingly, he told me that it was okay. HE also told me to just get the test done as soon as possible and to not tell anyone else about this. For whatever reason, the HR guy is giving me a pass here. I am extremely lucky.
You have to apply for graduation in advance not at the end of your term. Oh well...

Yes, this would be an extremely lucky story if this were a 1970s made for TV movie. But in 2019 in real life, unless you are applying for a job bagging groceries I don't see how you can walk into the building where HR is to someone's desk and speak to them. There is security to prevent this at any good company now. Considering the competition of people who have degrees and know they have them, that certainly makes them much less clueless than someone who doesn't. I can't seen someone in HR risk pushing someone through without it.

This has been an entertaining thread, but it lacks credibility to be taken seriously at this point.

But it was fun discussing it.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:

I think half-way through the degree there wasn't a single fellow classmate that couldn't recite what was in the college bulletin.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I am curious - What field is the degree in?
You mean, you don't know? It was in Fiction Writing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment