Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
In general, lateral moves are great. However, after 8 years I would personally be more inclined to seek a promotion? It all depends on your goals. Is it to climb the ladder, or simply to expand your skillset and avoid boredom?
My current department offers little room for growth. It's like many places where you have to wait for someone to die or retire.

Yes, I am bored in my current role, and I do wish to expand my skillset. Ideally, though, I'd want the new department to bump my salary up by 5-10%. Seems unlikely, though, considering that the COL increases I've received over the last 8 years have likely put my salary considerably higher than the starting pay for the new position. That's why they're probably going to suggest a lateral change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:09 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I've always considered a lateral move one in which the pay grade/ salary is the same.

I wouldn't go for less money.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My current department offers little room for growth. It's like many places where you have to wait for someone to die or retire.

Yes, I am bored in my current role, and I do wish to expand my skillset. Ideally, though, I'd want the new department to bump my salary up by 5-10%. Seems unlikely, though, considering that the COL increases I've received over the last 8 years have likely put my salary considerably higher than the starting pay for the new position. That's why they're probably going to suggest a lateral change.
Then it is not a lateral move.

In my opinion, one should only change jobs if you obtain some sort of advantage, there is no reason to change without a personal benefit. Lateral moves, by which I mean comparable pay and title, should only be considered if it gives you a personal benefit, such as increased job security, shorter commute, escaping toxic situation, or similar.

Promotional opportunity may be a reason to change jobs, but as it is nebulous and not guaranteed, I would need something else in addition to justify a move.

More money, better title (which can realistically lead to more money), job security, professional development and better benefits are generally the reasons to move in my opinion.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM

OP here.

This is going to be a tough decision.

The new job will entail different responsibilities, which is sure to break the boredom/keep me challenged.

However, I may be working considerably harder for the same money if it ends up being a lateral transfer. One of the duties? Managing a publication, which the hiring manager herself said is a big responsibility.

My biggest fear is being more stressed and losing the freedoms my current position affords (e.g., long lunches, leaving for appointments, taking vacation whenever I please).

Considering my wife and I are trying to start a family, I may kick myself later for leaving such a comfortable job.

If I had to choose between being bored and stressed, I would select the former.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:09 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
OP here.

This is going to be a tough decision.

The new job will entail different responsibilities, which is sure to break the boredom/keep me challenged.

However, I may be working considerably harder for the same money if it ends up being a lateral transfer. One of the duties? Managing a publication, which the hiring manager herself said is a big responsibility.

My biggest fear is being more stressed and losing the freedoms my current position affords (e.g., long lunches, leaving for appointments, taking vacation whenever I please).

Considering my wife and I are trying to start a family, I may kick myself later for leaving such a comfortable job.

If I had to choose between being bored and stressed, I would select the former.
In that case, I would just stay in the current role.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
In that case, I would just stay in the current role.
I would as well. I've seen a lot of your similar threads. You don't seem to want to upset the apple cart too much.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM

I wrote to the hiring manager this morning letting her know I've decided I do not wish to move forward in the process. I thanked her for taking the time to meet with me.

I wrestled with the decision over the weekend and realized that if I have to think about it so much, it just isn't for me.

Out of respect, I apprised the lady who referred me for the position of my decision before informing the hiring manager.

Here's the funny thing: The lady who referred me ensured me that I would not be working harder if I took the job. But upon informing her of my decision, she admitted that after making her own lateral move to that department, she finds herself working a lot harder for the same pay.

It's almost as if she wanted me to leave partly to validate her own decision to make such a move. Maybe deep down she's not all that happy where she is.

My current position affords me too many freedoms (late lunches, flexibility for vacations and appointments, no deadline pressure) that I was afraid to lose. I focused so hard on the work itself and not enough on the good things I have.

I'm going to seek out ways to grow/be more assertive in my current position. It's going to be interesting to see what happens once my boss retires. If whatever happens isn't to my liking, it'll be time to find a new company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment