Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 03:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

If you REALLY would like to do this trip, then just let them know ahead of time, ASAP. It shouldn't be a big deal. We had one person get sick just starting, and the company let her go into negative PTO. She recovered, ended up breaking even, and is now positive PTO, and working a regular schedule just like any other employee.

Another case, a coworker planned out a honeymoon a year in advance. He ended up getting laid off from his last job, but managed to get a new one such that the start date is 1 week before he leaves. He explained that to them, and they were fine with that. They worked out some arrangements for not having enough PTO (either negative PTO like the previous employee, or LWOP/leave without pay).

This will also give you some insight if you have one of those types of employers where they "guilt you" or don't really let you use vacation days/PTO, or they're the type that works around YOUR vacation schedule.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:46 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
This is exactly why before an offer was extended, I asked if there were any plans in the works that would require the candidate to miss work during their first 60 days of employment. Not saying a pre-planned vacation would be a dealbreaker, but it certainly could be depending on work load, project timelines, etc.

My personal feeling is that a new employee should not expect to be granted time off for non emergency situations. As a new employee, there is a lot required to get you up to speed. Training must be scheduled, for example. What do I tell the trainer, to come back in another week and hopefully the new employee will be here to receive your training? The on-boarding process is dependent on many people from multiple departments all doing their job. Hard for that to happen if you aren’t at work.

In the OP’s case, as a hiring manager I would likely rescind the offer, especially since having interviewed several other candidates I know there are people who want the position and likely more than one of them will not be asking for time off so soon.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Well Ron you must be pretty ridiculous and Im sorry for anyone who works for you. It’s two days.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,446 times
Just call in sick that day. Tell them you stood in line at Popeyes for 3 hours and they ran out of sandwiches so you got into a shootout over the last chiggun sammich. They'll be impressed. Or a UFO abduction. That one always works.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is exactly why before an offer was extended, I asked if there were any plans in the works that would require the candidate to miss work during their first 60 days of employment. Not saying a pre-planned vacation would be a dealbreaker, but it certainly could be depending on work load, project timelines, etc.

My personal feeling is that a new employee should not expect to be granted time off for non emergency situations. As a new employee, there is a lot required to get you up to speed. Training must be scheduled, for example. What do I tell the trainer, to come back in another week and hopefully the new employee will be here to receive your training? The on-boarding process is dependent on many people from multiple departments all doing their job. Hard for that to happen if you aren’t at work.

In the OP’s case, as a hiring manager I would likely rescind the offer, especially since having interviewed several other candidates I know there are people who want the position and likely more than one of them will not be asking for time off so soon.
Most employers recognize that new employees have lives before applying. This is also a relatively good economy and if a company starts out by saying they are not going to let you take preplanned vacation, when you might have already paid for flights, etc., that reflects poorly on your future experiences with the place.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:38 AM

Yeah I mean I’m slightly anxious about this but it’s 2 days and I just got the offer on Thursday then they sent the official offer letter Friday afternoon. I didn’t even think of it until Friday night in terms of these two days I’ll need off. It is bad timing because my start date is oct 7th, Columbus Day is a holiday then the next week I’ll need the 18th and the 21st off. But it’s not
really my fault either. I’ve been an applicant to the job since June.

I will just let them know tomorrow, apologize and said i completely understand if I don’t have enough time accrued and will have to take the days unpaid. This is an annual trip I take with my family and I don’t think I should have to cancel because a new job came into my life.

I’m surprised by the number of people who think things like this should be discussed in interviews. A planned vacation shouldn’t eliminate someone as a candidate. Should I also have said hey I have a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old and there will be times I’ll be coming in late or need to leave early or take the day off because of them too?

It’s two days.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I really dislike responding to posters like the OP because they are never interested in genuine advice about their situations. They post just so they can vent and accept those that support their line of thinking.

Never is this more true than when the OP claims surprise at the numbers of people who mention bringing up vacation during interviews. That's news to me because not one person on this thread advised as such, and not one link I posted advised this either.

What has been advised is that one should bring up vacation plans during the negotiation phase after a firm job offer. It's clear people like the OP are trying to game the system and will never get it. Anyone that thinks it's perfectly acceptable to never mention vacation plans even after negotiating a job offer, clearly lacks the basics of common professional courtesy. Anyone that thinks it's ok to tell a new employer about vacation plans at the last minute will never get it. The fact that people like the OP continue to ask this question clearly indicates they know in their gut they should have been upfront instead of trying to game the process.

No one here is saying that one should cancel pre-planned vacation due to a job offer. We get it, life happens. However, no matter how people here try to spin it, there is zero reason for a new employee to hide vacation plans that happen within a few days or months of hire. That is plain rude, and don't even try to say otherwise. Respect and courtesy goes both ways

Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yeah I mean I’m slightly anxious about this but it’s 2 days and I just got the offer on Thursday then they sent the official offer letter Friday afternoon. I didn’t even think of it until Friday night in terms of these two days I’ll need off. It is bad timing because my start date is oct 7th, Columbus Day is a holiday then the next week I’ll need the 18th and the 21st off. But it’s not
really my fault either. I’ve been an applicant to the job since June.

I will just let them know tomorrow, apologize and said i completely understand if I don’t have enough time accrued and will have to take the days unpaid. This is an annual trip I take with my family and I don’t think I should have to cancel because a new job came into my life.

I’m surprised by the number of people who think things like this should be discussed in interviews. A planned vacation shouldn’t eliminate someone as a candidate. Should I also have said hey I have a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old and there will be times I’ll be coming in late or need to leave early or take the day off because of them too?

It’s two days.
The main thing you want to do is be professional.

You have made repeated comments about how long the job search took, as if because of that they owe you these two days because, well it's ONLY two days and they made you wait SO long to find out if you got the job.

Drop that line of thinking and just be professional. Email the supervisor and say something like, "I am very much looking forward to becoming part of the team on Oct. 7. I did want to let you know that I had an out-of-town trip planned that would require me to be out of the office on the 18th and 21st, but other than that I will be ready to go as discussed. Thank you."

All they really care about is being made aware so they can plan accordingly and don't schedule a training session or something on those other two days.

What you're asking is not that unusual. But your reasoning behind it sounds bit entitled, and that's what you need to change.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Omg. Yeah that me gaming the system with my 2 days off. Is two days off really even a vacation?

I will be respectful by alerting them of the two days I need off on Monday. That’s better than letting them know when I show up on October 7th.

The job I’m leaving is actually very flexible with vacation. I was suprised to see so many people come on board and take a week or two vacation shortly after. Not sure my new place is the same but I guess I’ve been lucky in that places I’ve worked are pretty flexible.

Again this isn’t a 2 week or even one week vacation here.

If I was supposed to say as soon as I got the offer oh yes I accept but I’ll need to take two days off shortly after starting then my bad, I truly didn’t know that was the time to bring it up. To the HR recruiter on that note. I haven’t even verbally spoken with my hiring manager yet. He did email me congratulating me and let me know he’d be in touch closer to my start day. I will ask his permission about these two days as I mentioned tomorrow.

But no, I didn’t realize i needed to bring up my need for two days off when I was presented with an offer. I’ve never been in this situation before.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 AM

I know I shouldn’t keep mentioning how long this process took and it has nothing to do with the time I need off. For all I know they might be extremely flexible of time off like my current company. The time off policy is generous but new employees are always under scrutiny. This isn’t ideal I know but I also don’t think it’s that big a deal. I think they’ll be able to carry on without me for those two days. There is a part of me that wants to be there but my DH booked this trip and we can’t get the deposit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment