Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

To be honest people on this board have made me feel more nervous about it, I didn’t think it was a big deal ...
Then you need to stop coming back to this thread and focus on how you are going to give notice at your current company.

Pay attention to what is actually happening in your situation, not to the random extreme opinions that, frankly, ALWAYS show up as these threads live on.

You talked to HR a couple of times, and she didn't act like it was a big deal.

So again, be professional and just let your supervisor know as soon as you can. Relax and move forward.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
1. You always let the employer know ahead of time that you need two days off.
2. It sounds like you don't want the job.
3. You're being absolutely ridiculous now.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
1. You always let the employer know ahead of time that you need two days off.
2. It sounds like you don't want the job.
3. You're being absolutely ridiculous now.
I am letting them know ahead of time. I don’t even start the job for 3 damn weeks.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:47 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I think the Working From Home discussion might warrant its own, separate thread.

I have several thoughts on WFH -- first, if it is a Must-Have, then it must be mentioned in the interview. As a hiring manager, I would want to know. I suspect one reason that candidates don't bring it up, as someone noted up-thread, is that it communicates: I want to maximize my time out of the office. That is not a message that even loosy-goosy managers want to hear.

Some managers are extremely sensitive around WFH, others not. I've been in workplaces where the manager expects every person receiving pay (employees, contractors, even vendors) to be onsite every day during core hours (usually 9am until 4pm). I've seen people fired for porting their "7am until 3pm, no lunch" workday schedule to a new department. Some people are hardcore about office face time, and that is that.

I like my staff to be onsite 9am until 5pm, yet I am also okay with one day offsite per week. However, I need it well communicated and it needs to be adjustable (not the same day every week) depending on workload. I don't want other managers or worker-colleagues in other departments asking "where's Suzy?" because she has only told me of her offsite day this week. Suzy needs to make sure everyone who might need to know, knows where she is.
sounds like your company is not fully set up for remote work. companies that are used to wfh culture have employees logged in to a messaging program that allows instant message, video and voice calls, and meetings. so there is no question if an employee is online. if an employee goes "offline" without telling their manager, there will be consequences for that. at one company i worked at wfh was sort of new and standard protocals not established. i did not have ot log in to messaging program, so i could take a nap and wake up if i hear my email inbox sound or someone actually calls my cell phone.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Got the response from them : Thank you for letting us know! We’ll keep those dates in mind.
Looking forward to having you on the team!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Got the response from them : Thank you for letting us know! We’ll keep those dates in mind.
Looking forward to having you on the team!
LOL see?

Crisis averted.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
LOL see?

Crisis averted.
Lol hopefully they’re a little less judgey than some people here and aren’t thinking OMG why didn’t she tell us the moment the offer was extended!?? That’s it, big mistake with this hire. This is probably someone who is going to ask for time off constantly.

Truth be told I don’t take much vacation or days off to a fault. I’ve never been in this situation before. It is kind of crappy but job offers can be very fickle. I truly didn’t think I was getting this job the way things went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment