U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
 
44 posts, read 18,692 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

I wouldíve never expected to see myself in this position when I graduated college. Ever since I graduated nothing that Iíve wanted for myself has happened. In 2016 I graduated with a bachelors degree is criminal justice (big mistake). I was in a rush to find a job before 6 months because thatís when my student loan payments started.

I ended up applying and getting a job with TSA and Iíve been here ever since. I hate it here, and everybody hates us. I canít tell you how many times Iíve been called names or racial slurs here. Iíve been severely depressed. In hopes of getting out of here I completed the Paralegal program in December of last year, but I failed the certification exam (because Iím stupid). Now I donít know what my next steps should be. Thereís nothing at my current job that will translate well to other positions.

I have no experience doing anything and Iím scared of being in this current position forever. Any tips or words of advice for me?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 1,935,246 times
Reputation: 2863
You do have experience.

Working with the TSA, could open doors for a stronger position.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,332 posts, read 63,728,647 times
Reputation: 33837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic781 View Post
In 2016 I graduated with a bachelors degree is criminal justice.
(then) I was in a rush to find a job before 6 months when my student loan payments started.
...getting a job with TSA and I’ve been here ever since. I hate it here, and everybody hates us.
So leave. Soon.
Quote:
Now I don’t know what my next steps should be.
To find ANY OTHER job so that you can leave this one. Soon.
Just don't leave this one before you find something else.

Quote:
Any tips or words of advice for me?
When you were 14... what did you want to be when you grew up?
How about when you first went to college?

Either of those are about as good as any other choice at this point and NO! you don't have to do anything CJ related in any way
....but it wouldn't hurt one bit to shift into some other Federal job if you can manage that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
 
3,850 posts, read 2,226,677 times
Reputation: 10545
You have a secure federal job with a good retirement . Whats the problem? You could go to work for the private sector and be treated even worse and get thrown to the curb the minute some executive whats an extra yacht or Ferrari . LOL


Theres plenty of opportunity at various agencies in the public sector once you're in. And you're only 25. LOL. Try 36, and spending a decade underemployed (or laid off because of mismanagement, greed or facility closings) in the private sector with a college degree working for idiots with NO college education and can hardly operate a Microsoft program . Thats far worse.

You have it far better than most people believe me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
 
Location: on the wind
8,047 posts, read 3,459,180 times
Reputation: 27430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic781 View Post
There’s nothing at my current job that will translate well to other positions.
Yes there is. You just aren't seeing it. You are hoping that all you need to do is make ONE job jump and land exactly where you want to. Not the way it works. It takes multiple strategic jumps to accomplish. You are wallowing in all the negative aspects of the current work and not reminding yourself of what this job actually makes possible. I don't think you know what you really want to do...in an ideal world without the current job in mind, the failures that have happened, what motivates you? Where do you want to go and what will it take to get there? What don't you have now that you need? Focus on that, and start researching what skills/abilities/applied experience do you need in order to reach that ideal. Even if it takes roaming around on USAJobs, picking position descriptions out of a hat and reading what they require...do SOMETHING to jump start your imagination.

Add up the positives:

You have a permanent position (I assume) within the federal government. This gives you access to job vacancies non-status applicants don't have. I'd start identifying what specific aspects of your current job you don't want or can't do ...is it the direct contact with travelers? Well, look into becoming a supervisor or shift manager instead. Show your interest in managerial tasks or training. Ask about professional training programs that may be available. Show some initiative, make sure your supervisor/manager knows what your interests are. Again, supervising other TSA agents may not be your ideal, but becoming an experienced supervisory person in a federal agency opens other doors into other agencies. Why not study and take that paralegal exam again? What's stopping you? Discouragement. Get over it and try again. You are not going to get through life without failures so deal with that.

An example: OK, you don't particularly like the "airport security" type work. However, you could possibly translate that eventually into a park ranger position somewhere...that series is connected into the whole homeland security realm. You now have a security/LE background and education. Use it as leverage to become qualified for something else in LE. And, once you get into a managerial level in LE you could leave the LE aspects behind. It won't happen right away. You have to have a longer range view...not the NEXT job but the one three steps beyond.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 01:42 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
 
44 posts, read 18,692 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So leave. Soon.
To find ANY OTHER job so that you can leave this one. Soon.
Just don't leave this one before you find something else.

When you were 14... what did you want to be when you grew up?
How about when you first went to college?

Either of those are about as good as any other choice at this point and NO! you don't have to do anything CJ related in any way
....but it wouldn't hurt one bit to shift into some other Federal job if you can manage that.
To be honest, when I was younger criminal justice was something I was heavily interested in. I knew I didnít want to be a police officer, but I wanted something to do in that field of study. I just really have no idea what I wanna do and Iím getting older and I feel like itís time to figure it out soon.

Iíve thought about being an administrative assistant, but I donít have the experience for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You have a secure federal job with a good retirement . Whats the problem? You could go to work for the private sector and be treated even worse and get thrown to the curb the minute some executive whats an extra yacht or Ferrari . LOL


Theres plenty of opportunity at various agencies in the public sector once you're in. And you're only 25. LOL. Try 36, and spending a decade underemployed (or laid off because of mismanagement, greed or facility closings) in the private sector with a college degree working for idiots with NO college education and can hardly operate a Microsoft program . Thats far worse.

You have it far better than most people believe me.
I know I have it better than a lot of people, but I still donít think itís healthy to work in this type of environment. Aside from how weíre treated, I have to deal with a schedule change every 6 months and since itís based on seniority Iím never able to get the shift that I want. I kid you not I went from going into work at 4:30 am, to going in at 11:15 am, and tomorrow I start my new shift which starts at 1 pm. I want stability and a job that I donít hate going into everyday.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
 
44 posts, read 18,692 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes there is. You just aren't seeing it. You are hoping that all you need to do is make ONE job jump and land exactly where you want to. Not the way it works. It takes multiple strategic jumps to accomplish. You are wallowing in all the negative aspects of the current work and not reminding yourself of what this job actually makes possible. I don't think you know what you really want to do...in an ideal world without the current job in mind, the failures that have happened, what motivates you? Where do you want to go and what will it take to get there? What don't you have now that you need? Focus on that, and start researching what skills/abilities/applied experience do you need in order to reach that ideal. Even if it takes roaming around on USAJobs, picking position descriptions out of a hat and reading what they require...do SOMETHING to jump start your imagination.

Add up the positives:

You have a permanent position (I assume) within the federal government. This gives you access to job vacancies non-status applicants don't have. I'd start identifying what specific aspects of your current job you don't want or can't do ...is it the direct contact with travelers? Well, look into becoming a supervisor or shift manager instead. Show your interest in managerial tasks or training. Ask about professional training programs that may be available. Show some initiative, make sure your supervisor/manager knows what your interests are. Again, supervising other TSA agents may not be your ideal, but becoming an experienced supervisory person in a federal agency opens other doors into other agencies. Why not study and take that paralegal exam again? What's stopping you? Discouragement. Get over it and try again. You are not going to get through life without failures so deal with that.

An example: OK, you don't particularly like the "airport security" type work. However, you could possibly translate that eventually into a park ranger position somewhere...that series is connected into the whole homeland security realm. You now have a security/LE background and education. Use it as leverage to become qualified for something else in LE. And, once you get into a managerial level in LE you could leave the LE aspects behind. It won't happen right away. You have to have a longer range view...not the NEXT job but the one three steps beyond.
Thank you for this post. Tonight Iím gonna write down what I like and dislike about my job and then find positions that based off of that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
 
3,850 posts, read 2,226,677 times
Reputation: 10545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic781 View Post
To be honest, when I was younger criminal justice was something I was heavily interested in. I knew I didn’t want to be a police officer, but I wanted something to do in that field of study. I just really have no idea what I wanna do and I’m getting older and I feel like it’s time to figure it out soon.

I’ve thought about being an administrative assistant, but I don’t have the experience for it.



I know I have it better than a lot of people, but I still don’t think it’s healthy to work in this type of environment. Aside from how we’re treated, I have to deal with a schedule change every 6 months and since it’s based on seniority I’m never able to get the shift that I want. I kid you not I went from going into work at 4:30 am, to going in at 11:15 am, and tomorrow I start my new shift which starts at 1 pm. I want stability and a job that I don’t hate going into everyday.


You're already in the system. It sounds as your issue is as simple as applying to a new Job on whatever website you're agency loses. You have stability. (You have a federal job) Just find a job with better hours.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
 
17,790 posts, read 10,749,137 times
Reputation: 29863
Getting experience when I have none
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
 
44 posts, read 18,692 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I posted that months ago, and I took the advice in that post (volunteered, paralegal program) and I’m still in the same place so.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top