Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

I don't want to quit because we need the money and it's close to my house. (And the economy is so bad, I don't know when I will get something else).

My husband's only response is "get another job and stop b****ing." (no sympathy).

It's not simply do this and this every day. It's a matter of millions of variables. I did have a good training (more than at any other job) but I still feel like what I am doing is impossible to learn in a month.

I've had good replies here. Some of you have said, 'they know it's a hard job' so just do the best you can.

Problem is, there isn't one boss, or twenty, more like the whole 'organization' as we serve a bunch of various 'clients.' Each one has a unique problem. Plus on top of that I have daily paper work, phone calls, mail to process and 'administrative biweekly' duties. I am simply swamped and burned out.

The people who are the 'bosses' of the office just kind of chuckle when I say I can't get a handle on it. The head guy laughed today and said, "You'll get it...in 4 or 5 years.."

The HR person says, "Call so and so (woman out on leave) if you get confused." (no way).

Our office is kind of an entity upon itself..I am getting help from the board members but I still feel like ???

I am working through an agency so I can always call the owner up and speak to her.

I come home so tired and still have homework and Mom stuff to do (and a lot of housework). I also feel like if I fail or quit, I will constantly run into these people in my town. (I still look for jobs but it's hard to find good ones).

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Decide if you simply cannot handle the job, if you can't, then quit. If you can, then keep on. It WILL get easier.

Now for the housework. Just do what you absolutely must and let the rest go. Look at it as if you were taking a vacation from the house. Do the minimum until things begin to look better at work. And, needless to say, your husband should be helping with the house. If he doesn't, he isn't much of a man, is he!!! After all, you are helping him by earning a salary. The alternative is getting by on just what he makes.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
^^^
I agree.

There is no job in the world that is worth stressing over, especially a temp job. Decide if it is worth what you go through.

The funny thing about housework is that no matter how much of it you do there is always more. Your husband can help or he can live with whatever you get done.

It doesn't sound like you are getting much support at home. We are here for you.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks for replying. It means a lot, because I am having a bad day.

My husband does help with the housework. He works nights so when he gets up he does laundry or errands and cares for the puppy. I do seem to always walk into a few hours work though. I walk in and it's wham..homework, then dinner, then tire out the dog, then a million little things.

I have to say I admire women who can do it all. It's only been a month and I feel like I am barely juggling it all, if you know what I mean.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I became self employed almost two and a half years ago. What I do is very dependent on people having disposable income, so I have not been making the $$$ I would like to. I got a job about a year ago, almost identical to what I was doing before I went into business for myself. I could not believe how it effected me. I was exhausted all of the time, my acid reflux came back with a passion, and after about a month I decided that it was not worth the money.

It is much harder when you have been out of that kind of environment. I used to work 50+ hours a week, do all of the housework, care for the animals, and do whatever else needed doing. Now I can't handle 40 hours and the laundry. So, I temp here and there and do without a few things that I don't really need.

My husband, who has quit more jobs in the 11 years that I have known him than most people will have in a lifetime, would like for me to be bringing home the big paycheck again. He encouraged me to leave the stress behind. So, we skip some things. I guess our priorities have changed over the years.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
The job I currently in is similar to yours. Luckily they told me there was a learning curve of about six months. If there is someone in your office that seems to have a handle on it, pick their brain, take them to lunch and talk about how to ease your stress.

I am sure it is stressful, but try to let it not freak you out that you know how to do everything. I highly doubt they expect you to. Do what you can, to the best of your ability, the rest will come in time.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
From your post above, it sounds like the office is kind of relaxed. If they are indeed making those comments to you when you say you feel overwhelmed. I think you should give it more time. There are a lot of things to consider besides "needing" the money, one is that you have been out of the workforce for a while and that in itself is a HUGE transition. You had your routine down as your job as a mother, and this routine now is different. It sounds like they feel your work is acceptable or they would not be making those relaxed comments to you. I think you are being too hard on yourself. I do not know what kind of job you have but can suggest that maybe prioritize your goals for the day, what is due at the end of the day, week, month, and take it one day at a time.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM

116 posts, read 448,655 times
This sounds like a place I worked at in the past. I started looking for a job while still working there, and when I found another job I didn't give them any notice and left.
Good luck to you.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks very much for the sensible advice.
I do think some of it is stress 'just working.' The other part is that it's hard being a temp--the lady across from me is helpful but runs hot and cold...I hate people like that.

It's actually a wonderful 'environment' as far as respect from 'management' because it's in the hospitality business. I am constantly asked by HR 'how I'm doing' or 'feeling.' They have nice corporate events, several pleasant perks.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
I would call the agency and ask them to try and place you somewhere else. Stay there while they are looking. The agency makes money off you so they wouldn't want you to quit so they would (or should is probably the operative word) look for something else. I don't know if there is a specific time that you have to work there contractually before they can pull you out. If there is, you would have to wait that time out so that the agency does not get in hot water with the employer. Try also not to burn your bridges with the temp agency, especially if there are not too many of them in the area. You also don't want to get a reputation with others as word does get around in a small circle.

Now as far as your DH is concerned, please try to tune him out. Mine was that way before under the same circumstances. I think I have mentioned this in another thread of yours. However, I just yell back at him, since like you, I was also in charge of other Mommy stuff including the laundry, his laundry as well. I am not advocating complicating your married life anymore than your general life is already stressed out but perhaps you need to push back a little, in a way that is comfortable for both of you. Each couple have their thresholds and levels of tolerance.

Hang in there. Something will break...it did for me, and it will for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment