Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times

Advertisements

Ok, just wanting to get some feedback here. I "dropped out" of corporate America almost five years ago. I was hoping somehow I would not have to go back to that kind of job and I'm still not sure I can.

So, I am late 40s with the five year hiatus on my resume. I have an MBA and am bilingual, so it's not like I don't have something to offer. I had a couple of great last jobs, but left the state and moved somewhere else to "drop out."

Any thoughts? I am kind of stuck and not quite sure how to go forward, what with the last five years being so "not working." Yes, I did do some volunteer work and still do and, yes, I did have a job at a domestic violence shelter, but these were not long stints. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Definately include your volunteer involvement. When I was a SAHM and then returned to paid employment, I included the volunteer work just like a paid position- you used marketable skills, you have contacts there that will provide references. And I bet if you looked at the board members of some of the nonprofits (if that is where you volunteered), you might find some who are in the same type business as you are looking to join.... you can bet if your resume crossed their desk and they saw where you volunteered, it would catch their eye.

And if you are changing careers from your corporate gig, I would just tell the truth during the interview- that you had the opportunity to take time off and you were able to step back and decide what you really want to do. I don't know of many folks who have been in the workforce for any length of time who wouldn't love to have that opportunity.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
To the OP - Put consulting down on your resume - making up a story in which you cannot divulge your client names due to confidentiality isn't ideal, but it is one way to handle your situation (I've seen it done successfully). Describe to prospective employers how you enjoyed consulting but decided to go back to work for corporate america to enjoy less travel and a more predictable income and work situation.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 14,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Ok, just wanting to get some feedback here. I "dropped out" of corporate America almost five years ago. I was hoping somehow I would not have to go back to that kind of job and I'm still not sure I can.

So, I am late 40s with the five year hiatus on my resume. I have an MBA and am bilingual, so it's not like I don't have something to offer. I had a couple of great last jobs, but left the state and moved somewhere else to "drop out."

Any thoughts? I am kind of stuck and not quite sure how to go forward, what with the last five years being so "not working." Yes, I did do some volunteer work and still do and, yes, I did have a job at a domestic violence shelter, but these were not long stints. Thanks.
Dear Movin'On:
I hear you loud and clear! I am 53 years young also a professional back ground, reentering corp Am is possible, yet I found for me... it to be so different I was floored. I hear that you are a person that loves to help others and obviously you are very good at it, we NEED people like you desperately. I also know that what you are doing is draining. I elected to work, but now I am working from home, setting my own hours and I have never been more happy. Gas prices are going up, I use none going from kitchen to office...

Any way I would be happy to share with you how I did this... it is kind of funny, I love GMA (Good Morning America) Tory Johnson is a frequent guest sharing how women can work from home etc. I took it seriously and here I am, I am earning a nice income and love helping others, and I still do.

If you are interested let me know! I will help you in any way that I can, I have been able to help many others successfully.

NO NO NO it is not MLM, not selling, not any of that. Promise!

Blessings,
Re-joyce

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM

133 posts, read 376,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-joyce View Post
Dear Movin'On:
I hear you loud and clear! I am 53 years young also a professional back ground, reentering corp Am is possible, yet I found for me... it to be so different I was floored. I hear that you are a person that loves to help others and obviously you are very good at it, we NEED people like you desperately. I also know that what you are doing is draining. I elected to work, but now I am working from home, setting my own hours and I have never been more happy. Gas prices are going up, I use none going from kitchen to office...

Any way I would be happy to share with you how I did this... it is kind of funny, I love GMA (Good Morning America) Tory Johnson is a frequent guest sharing how women can work from home etc. I took it seriously and here I am, I am earning a nice income and love helping others, and I still do.

If you are interested let me know! I will help you in any way that I can, I have been able to help many others successfully.

NO NO NO it is not MLM, not selling, not any of that. Promise!

Blessings,
Re-joyce
I'd like info on this. How do I get it?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the people lining up for jobs with a masters is frightening.
if the other language is spanish that is good.
if you get another one dont drop out again.
all this stuff is in fact age critical. with every year passing of non employment the
employer looks that much harder at you when you ask for a job.
what i am seeing so much of on CDF and in the long term unemployed is mega attitude
as a #1 barrier to employment.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
To the OP - Put consulting down on your resume - making up a story in which you cannot divulge your client names due to confidentiality isn't ideal, but it is one way to handle your situation (I've seen it done successfully). Describe to prospective employers how you enjoyed consulting but decided to go back to work for corporate america to enjoy less travel and a more predictable income and work situation.
Have to disagree. Listing "consulting" is a red flag for companies and recruiters and flat out lying about your "clients" is a non-starter. Be honest about what you've been doing. You wanted to step back and reassess your career. You took on some volunteer positions to "give back" a bit. If couched correctly, this will be more of a positive than a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment