Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

I hope your writing/language skills are not represented by your posts.
You complain, point fingers at coworkers, talk about management, claim you are underpaid/overworked/underappreciated and very good. But you are still there. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I personally think you should quit whinnin n start working......$3000 on a $38000 base is a DAMNED good raise.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:21 PM

82 posts, read 377,695 times
exactly! why am i still here? that's the question i've been asking MYSELF too!!!
i think for someone my skills,educational background, financial experiences, i should be getting paid more.....!!! i dont' know what my problem is?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I hope your writing/language skills are not represented by your posts.
You complain, point fingers at coworkers, talk about management, claim you are underpaid/overworked/underappreciated and very good. But you are still there. What am I missing?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
exactly! why am i still here? that's the question i've been asking MYSELF too!!!
i think for someone my skills,educational background, financial experiences, i should be getting paid more.....!!! i dont' know what my problem is?!
You're problem - and this is not meant as an insult - is that you are "a whiner". Once you get this label, it is very hard to get rid of. Sometimes, you have to leave a company and start over to get rid of that stigma.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
You should never play "dog catcher" to the boss unless he is paying you more than the slackers- whos work you are being asked to do. I used to play that crap too and I would get all kinds of DOG assignments because the boss knew I would not complain loudly and I would do them. But when the new boss took over, I quit doing all the dog work that others did not want to do. They are paid the same rate I am and they need to do their dog assignments. If I have to work in the middle of the muddy woods or in a bad neighbourhood after dark, so should you!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You should never play "dog catcher" to the boss unless he is paying you more than the slackers- whos work you are being asked to do. I used to play that crap too and I would get all kinds of DOG assignments because the boss knew I would not complain loudly and I would do them. But when the new boss took over, I quit doing all the dog work that others did not want to do. They are paid the same rate I am and they need to do their dog assignments. If I have to work in the middle of the muddy woods or in a bad neighbourhood after dark, so should you!

i'm still doing that "dog" assignment hahaha..........
it's riduculous... they expect more from me 'cause they know i won't complain and just do the work

Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
It's called 'paying your dues'. The first few years in any business/occupation require learning which is accomplished by working hard. You're lucky they trust you to get things done, that means (and your excellent raise) they are noticing you.

You have to remember financial services can be high pressure not to mention there have been thousands of people let off in that field recently. My son works in a similar type company and now after about 8 yrs makes very good money. However, from the get go he has worked 24/7, seven days a week often sleeping in his office for days on end or not sleeping at all, and still does.

You have to define to your boss (and yourself) what position you are aiming for and act like it. If what you are doing is secretarial work there will be a cap on that as far as pay. If, on the other hand you are bringing in lots of high paying customers, you need to tell your boss that giving you meaningless work is costing him money. The last thing you want to be is labeled a complainer but you don't want to be stepped on because you're a female either. Sometimes the day to day can get in the way of planning in a business structure. Make your wishes known.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 05-16-2008 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Spoken like a true B/A

Every job description in our companey ends with "and any other duties as deemed necessary by management"

Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Spoken like a true B/A

Every job description in our companey ends with "and any other duties as deemed necessary by management"
haha, you are so right about the "and any other duties as assigned by boss" hahahahaa......watever..........
i reallyhope my hard work pays off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm a very motivated person and i like to make this a career and not just a JOB!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM

It will...but it takes time and it's true, you may have to move to get more money......employers have a set image in their minds with respect to the value of a job and it's next to impossible to change it......I have to explain this to my employees at least once a week....which is hard because I also think they as well as my boss and myself are woefully underpaid for what we do....oh well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment