U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2008, 02:24 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,382,537 times

Advertisements

My performance at work has suffered ever since this went down. It may not be the only reason, however, my concentration sucks enough as it is. When adversity happens, like a screw job or behavior from a superior that is over the line, well, it messes up my mind. I am working on being stronger, but it's a work in progress.
I made an error on a type of airline reservation about one month (March) after I did this kind of airline reservation for the 1st time (almost 6 months after I started, 6 months being Feb.). My immediate supervisor, just went over it one on one with me and trained me briefly on this. At the time I was notified about the error the manager and the supervisor both knew about it happening.
There was nothing eventful that came out of that one in Feburary, at that time anyway. I think I signed that I read a bulletin on this kind of airline travel when I did the 1st one and made an error to it. However, it did not help that the immediate supervisor and another agent gave me incorrect info (should have been a "team" error). 2 days after I spoke with my supervisor though, about the one in March, my manager through an email, not a phone call, sent a angry letter to me, addressing the same subject. The lowlights, it said that since I signed a bulletin saying I understood the proceedure (I did, but that does not mean life happens) and asking me to write basically a mini essay on how I will avoid this from happening again. I was freaked out enough about the foulness of the letter I reported it to her boss who reprimanded my manager. Mind you, this is a type of reservation that most agents either decline doing or do maybe 3 times a year. My supervisor said my manager did not know that I was already talked to about it. One, I don't believe that and two, even if that is true, she should have checked with her before sending it out.
There were other in the past 4 months where I felt treated unequally by her. One time I was sent home since I was out of complaince on a bussiness casual day (we can wear whatever we want other wise). 2 others were out of compliance. I was the only one sent home to change.
Ever since then my performance has suffered (I still will try to improve as a matter of personal pride while I look for other employment) and I cannot stand talking to her and won't unless she tells me too. I really don't have that deep of a problem with any other leads/supervisors there, but she is #2 in the office.
She never apologized for the note in March.
Thanks, advice appericiated

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 05-12-2008 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: additional point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 PM

3,831 posts, read 5,732,195 times
It's hard to follow your post and know the difference between your manager and supervisor. It sounds like your manager had a problem with a mistake you made and wanted assurances from you that it wouldn't happen again. Her tone may not have been proper, but it doesn't seem like her request was too far out of line. Going straight to her boss about it may have brought some short-term satisfaction to you but I can't imagine you'll have any kind of decent relationship with your manager going forward, especially since your work performance has dropped off.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,382,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It's hard to follow your post and know the difference between your manager and supervisor. It sounds like your manager had a problem with a mistake you made and wanted assurances from you that it wouldn't happen again. Her tone may not have been proper, but it doesn't seem like her request was too far out of line. Going straight to her boss about it may have brought some short-term satisfaction to you but I can't imagine you'll have any kind of decent relationship with your manager going forward, especially since your work performance has dropped off.
I thought it was out of line since the supervisor already addressed it, a chain of command thing. If it was a different problem or record from what was previously discussed, well I could have accepted that.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 AM

3,831 posts, read 5,732,195 times
You said that the supervisor who dealt with it said your manager didn't know you had already been spoken to, so how would your manager have known? Again, the tone of her email may not have been right (I don't know why she wouldn't speak to you about it in person) but as your manager, her request still doesn't seem out of line. Even if somebody did tell her about it, she may have felt a responsibility to address it with you herself - for example a supervisor could have said to her, "Beenhereandthere made a mistake on that reservation - better make sure it doesn't happen again."

Regardless, the situation you now have is what you're dealing with. Your manager is probably walking on eggshells around you because she's seen that you're comfortable going above her head. Maybe she's afraid an apology will somehow be used against her. It's a bad situation for your office because the manager probably doesn't feel like she can address your current work performance.

I think if you want a better environment, you should speak to your manager and explain that you went to her boss because you were upset by her email, and concede that maybe it would have been better to speak directly with her first. That would provide an opening to clear the air while still getting your point about her communciations style across. That may or may not work, depending on how poor the relationship has become in the months since this happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment