Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 01:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,236,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
where i work, it is policy that any donations of cash are "voluntary."
there are also policies in place that do not allow employees to accept gifts over a certain $ amount in the workplace .

my own personal policy is to not give donations to anyone who makes more money than i do.
people who make more can pay more.

what does sit well with me, is when supervisors or leadership pay out of their OWN pockets for parties or meals. that increases morale and productivity.

there was a doctor and researcher at a medical center where i worked who was one of the most gracious people i ever worked with. she published and travelled internationally, and every time she took a trip anywhere (which happened often, several times each year) she brought back gifts, not for everyone but for the people in the office who were the clerks and secretaries. and not crappy gifts either like keychains or mugs. Nice gifts.

unlike another boss i had who made about 4 times what the clerks made, that boss expected the clerks to buy her chocolate on a regular basis "if they wanted a good performance review." she was serious.

i have found that people where i work objected far more to being asked to bring food and dishes for potlucks in the work place (than being asked for $ donations). they were quite vocal about it. we basically said if they want a meal then pay for food and bring it in. many supervisors / leadership started doing this. it worked out well.
At the bank I worked for, we had a woman who was an over sharer. If something was going on in her life we knew about it whether we wanted to or not. But she was genuinely a nice person, and a very good worker.

But a lot of the people in our upper management were extremely sanctimonious, and worried constantly about how it would look to other people and affect the business. (this is after a well known decade of wonderful alcohol and drug fueled parties with great debauchery. So they got to have their fun, but we’re not allowed to have any. )

Well the over sharer got her self knocked up during a one night stand. That she did out of pity. I did say she was an over sharer.

And she wanted to keep the baby, she was thrilled. An upper manager decided to throw her a shower because we all heard over sharer had a four-year-old and didn’t think she was going to have anymore children so she gave away all her baby things. And I really liked the oversharer, so I popped in a good amount of money when the envelope came around. But everybody else? Followed the company line of this was a horrible thing and we should not be approving of it.

Well, the upper manager adored over sharer, used her own money, bought a bunch of other stuff and made a nice little shower for this girl. Hopefully she never knew the truth because that would’ve been just really sad. But that actually was one of the things that made me start taking a stand at that place for other things. Management really overreached a lot there.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:08 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,339,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
If you want to give money then do it, if not, don't. Don't worry about how others look upon you.
Assuming this isn't some every-week type of deal, do you REALLY want to be the one person on your team who doesn't donate $10 for a gift for your boss at his/her wedding? Or not sign the card that goes along with the gift? Or not donate flowers when someone's spouse passes away? As nauseating as it can be at times, this is part of the "game" you must play in Corporate America if you really don't want to be thought of as the anti-social penny pincher at your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 01:14 PM

16,273 posts, read 8,099,489 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Assuming this isn't some every-week type of deal, do you REALLY want to be the one person on your team who doesn't donate $10 for a gift for your boss at his/her wedding? Or not sign the card that goes along with the gift? Or not donate flowers when someone's spouse passes away? As nauseating as it can be at times, this is part of the "game" you must play in Corporate America if you really don't want to be thought of as the anti-social penny pincher at your job.
Something else to add to this is that since we've gone remote the way to make these donations is via venmo. I don't use venmo for ANYthing. I have no reason to set up an account then connect my banking details so i can donate $10 to a gift.

I was sent a venmo link to donate last week and I didnt do it. Oh well. Somehow i doubt whoever set this up is taking tabs on who didn't contribute. I guess I could look bad if they did some type of card...but I wasn't send a card link. I also know the person makes more than me...too bad so sad.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:33 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,339,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Something else to add to this is that since we've gone remote the way to make these donations is via venmo. I don't use venmo for ANYthing. I have no reason to set up an account then connect my banking details so i can donate $10 to a gift.

I was sent a venmo link to donate last week and I didnt do it. Oh well. Somehow i doubt whoever set this up is taking tabs on who didn't contribute. I guess I could look bad if they did some type of card...but I wasn't send a card link. I also know the person makes more than me...too bad so sad.
Well, if you don't have the app to donate then you have a built in excuse. Still, depending on what the donation was for, I may send something on my own if it was appropriate (a card for a death in the family, a birth, etc.) but only if it was for someone I knew well or worked with directly.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:35 PM

21,875 posts, read 12,922,974 times
Quote:
Sad, but true -- especially now that we're all supposed to be "one big, happy family" and "team players."

I was nearing retirement, however, so I didn't care. I am also naturally impervious to societal pressure.

If we all resisted, it would end, but then that's the case with so many things, and yet we never all resist.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:43 AM

16,263 posts, read 10,388,882 times
Yeah it's a bad look to refuse to donate when everyone else is. That should be obvious.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:42 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,851,518 times
I would usually contribute but it was not that often and I would put in usually nothing more than $5. As far a United Way, we could specify what charities we would donate and I did appreciate that. Since I tithe at my church , I never gave a lot to UW as we also give to other charities on our own.

Old 10-07-2021, 12:34 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,628,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Obviously there can be exceptions, but the general rule of thumb has always been, gifts can be given DOWN on the hierarchy, but not up.

Probably for the dual reason that the boss makes more money, and no one wants to risk being a brown-noser
Yeah, I found this out when I gave our very generous boss/owner a book on the history of Las Vegas after he had sent us all there for 3 days of debauchery/spas and so forth. I wanted to show my appreciation. I got reprimanded for it! An announcement was made: "No gifts to the boss".

I hated being hit up for gifts for others since we worked seasonally. My birthday was in the off season so I missed out, as did several others. So that was a one-way street.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:48 PM

21,875 posts, read 12,922,974 times
I notice gift cards are being requested more and more lately. I also notice that it's extremely hard to find gift cards in denominations under $25.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:15 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:

Yeah well $10 is ok. $100 plus every couple of weeks? out of pocket? Not ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment