Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 02:29 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,321,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDauphin View Post
I saw that same video about quiet quitting. It was very interesting and eye opening. Here is the link if anyone is interested in watching it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YfJV12Xyo

I noticed that lots of people in the comments were saying that quiet quitting is not new. I'm inclined to agree. I do think it has gotten worse post-pandemic. But what does it say about our society when for decades people have been disillusioned at work and have been doing the bare minimum? And what does it say about the future of the workplace if more and more people are starting to do this?
The work world is getting worse and worse. There are reasons for this as everybody knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 09:19 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,875 times
20 years ago we called it "going through the motions."

Old 04-13-2022, 01:09 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I'm consciously doing the bare minimum at my job right now. I'm responsive if anyone needs me for anything, but I'm pretty much certain now that this job isn't getting me anywhere close to the skills and experience I need for my long-term goals. So I'm trying to get my work done by 2-3 pm so I can have more time and energy for upskilling, portfolio projects, and job applications.

I think I would've made this decision even if the pandemic were having the opposite effect, and an economic crash was leading to higher unemployment and more selective employers. But the abundance of opportunities is certainly helping.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:28 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
NOW I remember the term: "Short-timer's Disease."

(Couldn't recall it; I must have "Old-timer's Disease."

Last edited by otterhere; 04-13-2022 at 02:11 PM..

Old 04-13-2022, 01:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Great movie. I have it in my video collection, and really need to watch it again.

Of course, there was no lame, quiet quitting or leaving on the part of the main character in the movie. He was fully confident in his ways. That confidence - even while avoiding work and the rules - is exactly what earned him respect.
Oh man, I would really, really, really love to do this. Of course my ending would be much different than this guy's; no promotion for me - Ha! But I'd wait until I'm ready to retire anyway (unbeknownst to them). Just to see their gobsmacked faces would be golden and a cherished memory in my dotage.

Sweet payback for the steady stream of steaming B.S. over the years! It's government, so yeah, an ever-flowing font of crapola....

Last edited by BijouBaby; 04-13-2022 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 08:02 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...all-it-instead

I just figured out that with the inflation reduction act I could get really good health insurance through the affordable care act thanks to the tax credit for FREE if my income was low enough, say $20-35K.

We're talking $1000 deductible and $2000 out of pocket costs. It really gave me something to think about as I have the spare income where I don't need to be a wage slave for a corporation, stuck working overtime based on their needs, which is my main issue with working full time... I'd rather simply work my scheduled hours, and that's it. I detest working 7 straight 12 hour days in a row because of someone's scheduled vacation.

I enjoy minimalist living. Heck, the idea of working my current job just 6 months a year to make half my pay is quite appealing to me.

I was going to start my own thread on "quiet quitting" but there was already one created, so I'll bump it. Lots of articles popping up in September about the movement which has a global component to it. I didn't see this wasn't in the Politics subforum though. It might provoke more stimulating discussion there.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-27-2022 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-27-2022, 10:13 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I saw a YouTube video on "Quiet Quitting."

It's about the concept of people who weren't able to be part of the "Great Resignation," instead staying at their job, but just "quietly quitting" at the job, by checking out mentally and just doing the least they can to not get in trouble or get fired. They don't care, and do just enough to not get fired.

The video made it sound like it was some new phenomenon.
I know people who've been doing that for yeeeears before Covid.

I guess when pendants or sociologists come up with a name for it, it's some new thing. Uh, not.

Have you quietly quit?
Do you know people who have?
Without reading all the responses I can say that heck, yeah, that's been happening for a long, long time.

When someone is approaching retirement it actually becomes necessary for them to step back and let others take on some of the work. They are there to answer questions and will be there to step back in just in case.

But I've also heard of people mentally checking out and doing the bare minimum to keep earning a paycheck. They view themselves as short timers who will be outta there soon and they really don't care what happens once they leave.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:23 AM

1,462 posts, read 659,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
This was covered in the movie Office Space. Peter explained all to The Bobs and they were amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_1lIFRdnhA

"You see, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care."
LOL! This never gets old. Thanks for posting this.

I kinda feel bad for Gen Z and Millennials. Quiet quitting has been around forever. We used to just call them *slackers.*

Old 09-27-2022, 10:35 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Quiet quitting has been around forever. We used to just call them *slackers.*
Misnomer.

You're not "slacking" if you're doing the job you were hired to do. You're just not overachieving.

"Quiet quitting" would be NOT doing your job for as long as you can get away with it and waiting to be fired.

Last edited by otterhere; 09-27-2022 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-27-2022, 11:11 AM

1,462 posts, read 659,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Misnomer.

You're not "slacking" if you're doing the job you were hired to do. You're just not overachieving.

"Quiet quitting" would be NOT doing your job for as long as you can get away with it and waiting to be fired.
*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment