Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:12 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,682,580 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! Hopefully someone could be of some help. Is anybody here a Respiratory therapist? I'm in the early stages of research of looking into a possible future as a Respiratory therapist. I just started research last night. But can you tell me about the job itself? What type of schooling is required. Woking against me might be the fact that i'm 38 with a full time job and no college at all. Basically went from HS to work for family. anyway please help me if possible.

Is college required? Trade school? How is the outlook of a Respiratory therapist? Easy to find work? How is the pay scale?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,027,794 times
I do know they make pretty good money and are always in demand...especially the home health ones. I used to work in hospitals..that's how I know.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 PM

18,657 posts, read 33,258,064 times
I think you can go to two years of community college and get some kind of tech certificate. To be a fully licensed R.T., it's four years of college.
I suggest looking up the national organization on Google and see what the requirements are. You are hardly too old, but in order to apply, you probably would have to take a couple of college-level courses, maybe Anatomy/Physiology or Chemistry. (It's the same for RN school).
RTs do make good money and there is a continuing demand. It's a tough course of study, from what I hear, and clinical work is part of it. That's not so much hard as it is time-consuming- you have to show up and do the learning and work, can't study it at home.
Good luck.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,495,311 times
Most medical jobs are mid level pay jobs, but you work your proverbial butt off for them. Most people won't tell you that...you will hear about all the gratification, etc., but it is hard work. If you are a self-starter, and like anatomy, like to learn, go for it. Try to secure a job while you are in clinicals, it is much easier that way, and if they like you, you have it in.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:15 PM

120 posts, read 481,158 times
It's a high paying job that doesn't require too much education. In the Boston area, there are RT's who make $27-30/hour right out of school (and by school, I mean an associate's degree), and by putting in a little overtime here or there (some hospitals give triple time), you can easily make $70-80k. And they are always in demand. I'm not saying it's an easy job, but it's not a bad deal considering the requirements.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:56 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,348,699 times
One thing to keep in mind if you are a family man is that you might have to work evenings, nights or weekends. There are some jobs in specialty clinics that are typical Monday-Friday hours, but hospitals are open 24 hours a day.

The pay is good, and the demand is high.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM

308 posts, read 1,614,595 times
Check out respiratory therapists in the Occupational Outlook Handbook (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos084.htm - broken link). It gives you information regarding education, salary, employment outlook, etc. You will need some college coursework before you can become an RT, so check out associate's degree programs (at a minimum) or even programs offered by nearby medical schools/centers for the requirements.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 21,672 times
I was 40 years old when I went back to college to be a Respiratory Therapist. I worked part time and attended school full time. School is very demanding, you have to give it your heart and soul. but after it is very rewarding. I work in the Catskill region of New York state, and it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I do not regret it for one minute. Good luck in your future ventures. Any questions please feel free to contact me.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 PM

756 posts, read 2,570,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
One thing to keep in mind if you are a family man is that you might have to work evenings, nights or weekends. There are some jobs in specialty clinics that are typical Monday-Friday hours, but hospitals are open 24 hours a day.

The pay is good, and the demand is high.
RT's in our hosp work 12 hr days from 6a-6p 3 days a week..
they are on medical floors, er icu and nicu(newborn intensive care)
also there are at every c-section or complicated delivery.
from what i understand they get to rotate....

its not really a 'tech' job....your it...
when the code is called you go and intubate.....its awesome.

very rewarding, savin lives and such.....
go to payscale.com to get a sense of salary in your region....
also go to monster jobs or any job listing to see the demand.

I know you have to renew your liscense in CA evry year...I think its abut 300$
very, very cool....you get to maintain the ventilators.
recover patients from oopen heart....work closely with the MDs and Nurses...

good luck
Nay RN

Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,270,226 times
Not wanting to hijack but what other jobs in the medical field would y'all say have similar options for hours... i.e. 12 hours 3x a week? Besides nursing and RT.

I have decided I want to work for the most $, the least days a week as possible, so I can actually live life outside of work. Novel concept, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment