Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 08:59 AM

984 posts, read 435,506 times

Advertisements

I'm friendly at work (my team is fully remote), but I share little of substance about my life. They know I have a dog because he's sometimes in the background, so I'll talk about him if asked. When we talk about "what did you do this weekend?" I'll mention something irrelevant. Oh, I made a great lasagna, my grandmother's recipe, and I'm really pleased at how it turned out. Took the dog to the dog beach. Whatever. Usually it's a lie anyway. Nobody cares what anyone else did 99% of the time.

I don't ask where anyone is going on vacation or anything like that. If I'm asked, I'll give a generic type answer. "Going to San Francisco, can't wait to try the Chinese food!" I don't really mention whether I'm visiting family or going on a girls' weekend or a romantic trip or whatever. None of their business. But I also don't make it obvious that I'm not sharing, and I smile on video when I say whatever I'm saying.

Just smile and play along and only share what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 09:13 AM

21,603 posts, read 12,665,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
OMG, yes! I remember a post here a while back where someone said they were forced into sharing a room with a colleague who they barely knew.

I simply would refuse. If they said it was mandatory, I'd tell them to fire me then and I'd have one heckuva lawsuit ready to roll if they went through with it.
Suing because you missed a mandatory function because you refused to share a free hotel room? Good luck with that. And most employers at "at will," so they're probably not going to give you a reason for firing you. However, I agree that whatever event, conference, seminar, or training such a trip would be for is no doubt silly.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:30 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,431,189 times
We don't do any of this. I meet buddies in the gym. Other than that, non essential chat when at our cubes or a frustrated exclamation (or cuss word from some) when an app doesn't work.

One girl one time pulled me aside and was concerned that I had an exercise/eating disorder. (One of those extra nosy mama bear types of people). I was complimented with that concern. I'll take it! Tell me again!

Other than that we don't do these silly things. I have experienced this in past jobs. I remember a work trip to New Orleans with Joyce....but that is on a past thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment