Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 08:06 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,413,201 times

Advertisements

As othrs alreeady said, that's up to a doctor, not your employer. Get a second opinion if you don't think you should be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 08:19 AM

93 posts, read 49,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What kind of injury do you have?

I was not treated correctly at the comp doctor, no MRI or xray. I blew out my bottom disk in my spine. I was then light duty doing things like cleaning lunch tables which threw my back into spasms but I didn't know it at the time. I'll never work again because it trashed my back.

I screwed myself by quitting before I found my own neurologist who got me an MRI showing my blown disk.

Even though I got my MRI before quitting, with my results right after, I couldn't prove it happened at work after quitting so lost the fight about 10 years in.

If you're not happy with working, speak to the doctor to put you out. Find your own diagnosis if need be.
A strain on upper back and neck and left arm.. I saw the doctor and this clown doctor didn't even want to do any x-rays like he is supposed to be some kind of magician. The fool just walked in the room and told me describe the problem. He didn't even check my back or arm, nothing. Eventually the clown did x-rays and said nothing was broken or fractured, etc... He is a nurse practitioner. Next time I will see the real doctor.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:28 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,301,186 times
As other said, go back to the doctor/nurse practioner asap and mention the meds are making you drowsy and you are having issues working while drowsy. Ask for first available appt with the doctor. Also mention to the doctor that light duty isn't allowing you to ice and heal.Tell them where it hurts and how working light duty causes issues. Even if driving to work is causing problems to do pain and being drowsy. Then stop talking and wait for the doctor to answer. If the meds cause you to be drowsy, they might say not to drive. How can you drive to work/back and be safe. Not good. Bring this up to the doctor

If you don't tell the doctor your issues, they'll never know.

If you quit your job, you'll likely be like anyone else that quit - you'll have no job.

Workers Comp rules force the company to attempt to get you back to work into light duty if possible. The company has to follow the workers comp rules about this. The doctor is the one that identifies whether you are able to work light duty or not. If you go back to doctor and talk about the problems you are having, perhaps the doctor will change things up for you.

I think the Workers Comp Insurance carrier has a list of approved doctors so you have to use their list. If you switch, then you probably need to find another doctor that is approved.

If you feel you are not treated fairly, you can look into talking to a workers comp attorney. Tell the attorney about your current claim and issues and ask if their services are covered (no cost to you) per the open workers comp claim. Often attorney fees are covered by the claim per state laws but there could be limits on the amt the attorney can charge. Sometimes getting an attorney helps because they know the rules and they can advocate for you.

Workers comp pays for time off work related to the claim - usually at 66 2/3 of your base pay, but this can differ for each state.

Rather than quit, perhaps consider calling in sick and saying the pain is very bad, then try to get doctor appt asap and ask doctor how to handle the days you cannot go to work due to pain or drowsy. Tell doctor you dont know how workers comp works and do you just call in sick or how does that day off get administered to workers comp rather than your sick time(or non pay).

Try to be careful and not get addicted to the pain meds. It's a real issue even for people that are just trying to get better due to injury. Not sure what meds you are on, but seriously, be careful.

Last edited by Variable; 08-29-2022 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
As other said, go back to the doctor/nurse practioner asap and mention the meds are making you drowsy and you are having issues working while drowsy. Ask for first available appt with the doctor. Also mention to the doctor that light duty isn't allowing you to ice and heal.Tell them where it hurts and how working light duty causes issues. Even if driving to work is causing problems to do pain and being drowsy. Then stop talking and wait for the doctor to answer. If the meds cause you to be drowsy, they might say not to drive. How can you drive to work/back and be safe. Not good. Bring this up to the doctor

If you don't tell the doctor your issues, they'll never know.

If you quit your job, you'll likely be like anyone else that quit - you'll have no job.

Workers Comp rules force the company to attempt to get you back to work into light duty if possible. The company has to follow the workers comp rules about this. The doctor is the one that identifies whether you are able to work light duty or not. If you go back to doctor and talk about the problems you are having, perhaps the doctor will change things up for you.

I think the Workers Comp Insurance carrier has a list of approved doctors so you have to use their list. If you switch, then you probably need to find another doctor that is approved.

If you feel you are not treated fairly, you can look into talking to a workers comp attorney. Tell the attorney about your current claim and issues and ask if their services are covered (no cost to you) per the open workers comp claim. Often attorney fees are covered by the claim per state laws but there could be limits on the amt the attorney can charge. Sometimes getting an attorney helps because they know the rules and they can advocate for you.

Workers comp pays for time off work related to the claim - usually at 66 2/3 of your base pay, but this can differ for each state.

Rather than quit, perhaps consider calling in sick and saying the pain is very bad, then try to get doctor appt asap and ask doctor how to handle the days you cannot go to work due to pain or drowsy. Tell doctor you dont know how workers comp works and do you just call in sick or how does that day off get administered to workers comp rather than your sick time(or non pay).

Try to be careful and not get addicted to the pain meds. It's a real issue even for people that are just trying to get better due to injury. Not sure what meds you are on, but seriously, be careful.
I am done with the medication. I will go to an orthopedic doctor and most likely go to physical therapy. They did x rays and nothing is fractured or broken. It's just a strained on upper back and neck and left arm.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:09 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,137,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin2021 View Post
I am done with the medication. I will go to an orthopedic doctor and most likely go to physical therapy. They did x rays and nothing is fractured or broken. It's just a strained on upper back and neck and left arm.

So, it was exactly as the NP diagnosed, without X-Rays.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
So, it was exactly as the NP diagnosed, without X-Rays.
The doctor said yesterday that it's a strain and will have to see orthopedic doctor and go to physical therapy.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:35 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,951,536 times
Quote:
The doctor said yesterday that it's a strain and will have to see orthopedic doctor and go to physical therapy.
Did you ask for a modification to your work restrictions? Afterall, that seemed to be your original complaint that you had to work when you felt working was making it harder to heal.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did you ask for a modification to your work restrictions? Afterall, that seemed to be your original complaint that you had to work when you felt working was making it harder to heal.
The doctors want me to ice it throughout the day and also use biofreeze which I can't due to being at work. I tried biofreeze at the job but it only made the worker I was working with really mad because it smells even though I only put a little. I work 12 hour shift. The doctor said light work is the only restriction he can give. It's almost like it's impossible to receive workers compensation and be out of work at the same time.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:28 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,951,536 times
Quote:
The doctors want me to ice it throughout the day and also use biofreeze which I can't due to being at work. I tried biofreeze at the job but it only made the worker I was working with really mad because it smells even though I only put a little. I work 12 hour shift. The doctor said light work is the only restriction he can give. It's almost like it's impossible to receive workers compensation and be out of work at the same time.
Your health care professional can certainly place a time, task or severity restriction on your light duty. They can limit work to only a certain number of hours a day, they can limit the physical/mental task you are allowed to do, or they can set medical stop order for pain.

They can do all that if it's in your health care recovery best interest. Or, they can just be lazy and do the minimum or leave you on the tundra for the polar bears.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:39 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,739,666 times
You can refuse light duty but then WC will stop your payments.

If you need the Biofreeze per doctors orders, then speak to HR about that and your coworker can suck eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment