Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 06:53 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

Please share your experiences.

In a nutshell:

I've been in the same role for almost 11 years. I'm 37 and work in a department of 7 -- four of whom are set to retire in the next few years. After pushing for a promotion in my dept and getting nowhere, I applied for several available positions in other departments within the organization. One of them offered less than what I currently make and would have ended up being a lateral move, so I passed.

Last summer, I applied and interviewed for a more senior role that would have been a step up, but I didn't get it. And a month ago I applied/interviewed for two positions within the same department -- I figured it'd better my odds -- and got the first rejection today.

As my daughter is a little over 9 months old, there's no question I'm looking for stability first and foremost -- and my company has provided just that. It's been a huge disappointment when it comes to growth, however.

I'm not learning any new skills, and the ones I currently have are being under-utilized. The 4 coworkers nearing retirement are extremely old school; they're pretty much settled and counting down the days until retirement.

The lady I report to now is the department head; she inherited me after my direct supervisor of 9 years retired. As an AVP, she has too much on her plate to dedicate time to mentoring me and has trotted out excuse after excuse everytime I've asked whether I could get a title change/pay boost to account for those tacked-on responsibilities.

She agreed I deserve one, but hasn't done anything to move the needle. She's really seemed tone-deaf to the whole thing, probably assuming I'll stick around forever. (The foursome mentioned above have each been with the company 25-45 years.

Is this the kind of environment that a 37-year-old should work in?

I'm in the interviewing process as we speak for a job with a different employer. It's possible I could go from $67,000 to 90,000ish should I get it. My current employer lets us work from home twice a week, but the new employer allows WFH only on Fridays.

I've been yearning for a change in scenery for awhile now. Working on the same projects -- with the same people -- for so long is killing my soul. And, yes, I'm already doing side projects, but my day job isn't giving me the intellectual satisfaction I crave.

I'd be taking something of a gamble here, but isn't it better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something and be left wondering what could have happened?

One of the 4 older folks I mentioned earlier told me that he could have gotten further in his career had he left many moons ago, but he got too cozy. If I were in my 50s or 60s, I'd love to be in my current job. But I just don't feel I'm ready to settle yet, and my biggest fear is to be left here with no clear path forward once all of these folks hang their hats. All I know is that I've hit a major dead end in this company.

Thoughs? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 08-27-2022 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 06:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Leave. You've tried to move up in the company without success. Imagine not taking the chance and being in the same place 20 years from now.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:44 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Time to go. They've shown, both directly through your attempts to move up, and indirectly through others who didn't move up that they simply don't promote people. Continuing to spin your wheels will leave you in this same place with these same issues when you hit 50.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:38 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Leave. At your age and life stage you should be taking every opportunity to increase your income and acquire new skills.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:18 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Your post has no substance to it.

It's just describing trite generic movements within a nameless corporate job and industry.

If you ask generic questions, you get generic answers.

For instance, here would be a post with substance...

"I've been an ICU nurse for 6 years and I make very good money, but it's burning me out and it's too difficult. How would going to be a nurse at an adult day care facility and taking a pay cut change my life?"

Or...

"I've spent 4 years working for Fidelity as an analyst and I'm thinking of going into Mechanical Engineering."

Or...

"I've been doing XX for XX years and I'm 37 years old and it sucks. What can I switch into?" Even that has more substance.

I mean... based on the vague nature of you post, a vague answer would be... "Sure, put out resumes and you can get a job you love doing something different making 50% more money, have a more impressive job title." I mean, sure why couldn't you right?

Last edited by jobaba; 08-28-2022 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 09:32 AM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Years ago, I left a nice position after a larger company acquired us. The acquiring company mentioned that there would be imminent “changes”, but offered no specifics. I thought I would get “laid off.”

A few weeks later, I received a call from a recruiter, about joining a start-up. I interviewed and received an offer, with higher compensation than my current role.

I resigned and joined the start-up. After being at the start-up for a month, I realized that I made a big mistake. The start-up was a disorganized disaster.

I tried to come back to my old position, but it already had been filled. You live and learn!

Old 08-28-2022, 11:26 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Years ago, I left a nice position after a larger company acquired us. The acquiring company mentioned that there would be imminent “changes”, but offered no specifics. I thought I would get “laid off.”

A few weeks later, I received a call from a recruiter, about joining a start-up. I interviewed and received an offer, with higher compensation than my current role.

I resigned and joined the start-up. After being at the start-up for a month, I realized that I made a big mistake. The start-up was a disorganized disaster.

I tried to come back to my old position, but it already had been filled. You live and learn!
I worked for two start-ups prior to my current role with a large organization so I know what a pain they can be.

The company I'm interviewing with is large and well-established.

It isn't motivating at all when the people amongst you are just counting down the days until retirement.

As I alluded to earlier, if I were in their age group, I'd be wholly content. But I'm only 37, in the prime of my career.

I have a lot of PTO saved up, but luckily I'll be able to cash it all out when I leave. My wife and I don't intend to resume vacations until my daughter's old enough to remember them, so I think cashing out works best for us. It precludes my losing the time for not using it. Plus, at the new firm, I'd have health insurance and 2 weeks of vacay from day 1.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:34 AM

2,000 posts, read 760,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Please share your experiences.

In a nutshell:

I've been in the same role for almost 11 years. I'm 37 and work in a department of 7 -- four of whom are set to retire in the next few years. After pushing for a promotion in my dept and getting nowhere, I applied for several available positions in other departments within the organization. One of them offered less than what I currently make and would have ended up being a lateral move, so I passed.

Last summer, I applied and interviewed for a more senior role that would have been a step up, but I didn't get it. And a month ago I applied/interviewed for two positions within the same department -- I figured it'd better my odds -- and got the first rejection today.

As my daughter is a little over 9 months old, there's no question I'm looking for stability first and foremost -- and my company has provided just that. It's been a huge disappointment when it comes to growth, however.

I'm not learning any new skills, and the ones I currently have are being under-utilized. The 4 coworkers nearing retirement are extremely old school; they're pretty much settled and counting down the days until retirement.

The lady I report to now is the department head; she inherited me after my direct supervisor of 9 years retired. As an AVP, she has too much on her plate to dedicate time to mentoring me and has trotted out excuse after excuse everytime I've asked whether I could get a title change/pay boost to account for those tacked-on responsibilities.

She agreed I deserve one, but hasn't done anything to move the needle. She's really seemed tone-deaf to the whole thing, probably assuming I'll stick around forever. (The foursome mentioned above have each been with the company 25-45 years.

Is this the kind of environment that a 37-year-old should work in?

I'm in the interviewing process as we speak for a job with a different employer. It's possible I could go from $67,000 to 90,000ish should I get it. My current employer lets us work from home twice a week, but the new employer allows WFH only on Fridays.

I've been yearning for a change in scenery for awhile now. Working on the same projects -- with the same people -- for so long is killing my soul. And, yes, I'm already doing side projects, but my day job isn't giving me the intellectual satisfaction I crave.

I'd be taking something of a gamble here, but isn't it better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something and be left wondering what could have happened?

One of the 4 older folks I mentioned earlier told me that he could have gotten further in his career had he left many moons ago, but he got too cozy. If I were in my 50s or 60s, I'd love to be in my current job. But I just don't feel I'm ready to settle yet, and my biggest fear is to be left here with no clear path forward once all of these folks hang their hats. All I know is that I've hit a major dead end in this company.

Thoughs? Thanks for reading.
Personally, I wouldn’t consider 67k after 11 years very cozy.

Time to move on. Let them dangle one carrot in front of you that may fall through, I understand business needs, etc can change, but when the second carrot falls through, it’s time to move on.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:39 AM

178 posts, read 115,674 times
Could you wait out until those people retire? With the size of your department decreased, surely some movement could happen for you (not 100% certainty, of course).

If something kills your soul, nothing else matters. Your soul should be the most precious thing to be looked after.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:33 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
As my daughter is a little over 9 months old, there's no question I'm looking for stability first and foremost -- and my company has provided just that.
A yearning for stability, militates against making changes, if what you already have, is sufficiently stable.

Quote:
...I'd be taking something of a gamble here, but isn't it better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something and be left wondering what could have happened?
No! A particularly awful thing, is to have pursued an unforced change, only to find the new position to be inferior to the old.

Quote:
... If I were in my 50s or 60s, I'd love to be in my current job. But I just don't feel I'm ready to settle yet, and my biggest fear is to be left here with no clear path forward once all of these folks hang their hats. ...
You're only 13 years away from being 50 yourself. But the biggest question is, "once all of these folks hang their hats", will their positions become available, for a comparative youngster like you? There are several alternatives. One is, that a person who's presently 55, will remain on the job, even at 70 or 75. Then there's no vacancy for such a one as you, to then fill. Is there currently such a trend? Or, once the elders leave, their places might be filled by hiring from outside of the company. Is that currently happening? If neither of these are true, your feature is perhaps quite OK in this company.

There are worse things in life, than a staid and uninspiring reliability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment