Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:32 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Recently, was looking at possibly applying for disability due to my lung issue. But looking at what you have to do just to get it, I've found a couple of jobs that might be possible even with limited lung capacity.

Hopefully it can work with my SS so time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
So, what would happen if you got hurt on this job, while drawing disability?
If you're hurt through no fault of your own, and you are permitted to work though receiving disability, you'd receive WC which is different than disability.

If you don't exceed earning limits, you're OK with that, it's not going to affect your disability, receiving WC.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:47 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Default SS Benefits while working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Recently, was looking at possibly applying for disability due to my lung issue. But looking at what you have to do just to get it, I've found a couple of jobs that might be possible even with limited lung capacity.

You should read SSA's booklet re "How Work Affects Your Benefits"

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

Old 09-11-2022, 07:56 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Of course you can.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:03 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

SSDI means you can no longer work your old job, not that you cannot work any job. SO for instance a piano player may lose his job if he is missing a finger, but still may be able to do other jobs, ( such as driving) but still qualify as a disabled. As piano player as he lost a finger.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:04 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
I Google'd it and I also called SS for them but I like to hear from real people as well.

SSDI rules are posted on their website. Personal and employer-provided plans have different conditions depending on the plan and the state's laws where it was written. Unless you have an own-occupation policy, which most people don't, you will likely have the monthly benefit reduced by the amount you earn while working. You need to read the policy to find out.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
SSDI means you can no longer work your old job, not that you cannot work any job. SO for instance a piano player may lose his job if he is missing a finger, but still may be able to do other jobs, ( such as driving) but still qualify as a disabled. As piano player as he lost a finger.
Yes, my previous job had me standing 8 hrs, walking various times. But talking with others, and the driving job, I know that I've paid into government benefits, but just feel that if I can do "Something" I should try before saying "OK, I'm disabled"

Not an ego thing, just as it's easier to apply and get a job, instead of going through 5' deep of paperwork.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:28 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
To the question of Medicaid, that varies by state. Here in NY you can earn up to just over $18K before becoming ineligible (taxpayer filing singly). After that, they will subsidize health insurance premiums if you get a job that provides health insurance, up to a certain income level (ISTR it's around $50K). But I suspect this is one of the more generous states in that regard. E.g. Mississippi would be a totally different story.

BTW Medicaid here is quite generous. No premiums AND no deductibles -- just copays. And it includes vision, dental, and quite good mental health care. The tradeoff is bureaucracy, long waits to talk to an actual human, etc. But I got my disabled stepson signed up with about 2 or 3 hours of filling out online forms.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:22 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
If you are disabled you are disabled. If you are capable of holding down a job, you are not disabled enough not to work. The fraud is out of control.
A company where I used to work, I had met co-workers telling me they draw S.S. while working part-time. They weren’t even close to retirement age and looked perfectly fine. What also really irritated me was they’d get better shifts and days off although I had more seniority & worked full-time. I eventually quit that job.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:40 AM

377 posts, read 274,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
If you are disabled you are disabled. If you are capable of holding down a job, you are not disabled enough not to work. The fraud is out of control.
Yep. Disability is abused by the vast majority. Most jobs out there today are non physical jobs where you can work from home or behind a desk. Its not like a farming economy we had 100's of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment