Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 07:03 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,182,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
That’s why I am asking. I am a nurse. I take this test on the computer. It asks me if I’m transgender. What does that have to do with me taking a test, on the computer? I am beyond baffled.
If you are a nurse I am surprised that you are surprised. Didn’t you study this?

Whatever is in people’ s heads - the bodies work according to what nature intended.

There are biological differences between men and women. And I don’t mean genitalia - it affects everything.

For example:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...e-heart-rates/

Here you go - now you know why “they” ask the question - it isn’t to violate the privacy or to discriminate against the transgendered - which your question implies.

It is a necessary question for a diagnostic evaluation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 07:37 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
You guys are still misinterpreting the question it seems. The OP is a nurse. This test is a test on the computer to test her/his ability TO READ EKGs. This is not an EKG test of their own body. In other words, the OP is answering questions, via a keyboard, about random EKGs shown on a monitor. The transgender question does NOT relate to a patient, but to the gender of the nurse taking this skills test. How could gender of the person taking a computerized test of their EKG reading skills be affected by their own gender? Why would the testing entity need that info? The correct answer on a test is the same regardless of the test-takers gender.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:06 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
contrary to popular beliefs, according to c.m.m.s. statistics, humans born with female genitalia have higher incidents of heart disease and heart attack. an f-2-m or woman who has never transitioned will still have a higher likelyhood of heart problems than a m-2-f or man that has never transitioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You guys are still misinterpreting the question it seems. The OP is a nurse. This test is a test on the computer to test her/his ability TO READ EKGs. This is not an EKG test of their own body. In other words, the OP is answering questions, via a keyboard, about random EKGs shown on a monitor. The transgender question does NOT relate to a patient, but to the gender of the nurse taking this skills test. How could gender of the person taking a computerized test of their EKG reading skills be affected by their own gender? Why would the testing entity need that info? The correct answer on a test is the same regardless of the test-takers gender.
thanks, i assumed it was becuz emergency room personnel would have to have healthy hearts to lift patients and do their jobs; else, they would add more strain to the e.r. if they had a cardiac event while working.

o.p., were there any other demographic questions being asked like gender, gender preference, race, ethnicity, religion, veterans status, handicap status, ... maybe it is part of equal opportunity employment surveys ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-10-2022 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-10-2022, 09:32 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,182,976 times
Quote:
Sorry - read it too fast..
There gotta be more to the story then…

The OP should ask their administrators why - there could be a simple explanation.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:36 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,256,403 times
Quote:
That’s why I am asking. I am a nurse. I take this test on the computer. It asks me if I’m transgender. What does that have to do with me taking a test, on the computer? I am beyond baffled.
Because despite all the laws prohibiting bias against practically ANYTHING, the goverment still wants to know. Baffled me for my entire life in federal employment.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:01 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
If you are a nurse I am surprised that you are surprised. Didn’t you study this?

Whatever is in people’ s heads - the bodies work according to what nature intended.

There are biological differences between men and women. And I don’t mean genitalia - it affects everything.

For example:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...e-heart-rates/

Here you go - now you know why “they” ask the question - it isn’t to violate the privacy or to discriminate against the transgendered - which your question implies.

It is a necessary question for a diagnostic evaluation
I take this test on a computer. The question asked is if I am a transgender. They have absolutely no reason whatsoever to ask me this. Totally unrelated to a test I am taking on the computer.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:02 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
I'm confused.

A very small % of the population are trans.

It almost sounds like this is related to a study. Are they wondering if trans nurses are more or less likely to apply/ignore knowledge of differences between male & female EKG's? I can't think of any other reason why it would matter what the gender of the interpreter is.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes! Am I not wording this properly? Your explanation is spot on.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
There are multiple reasons it might be asked. IF you needed some kind of care based on your test results, medical professionals need to know this. Companies, including hospitals, are aware they need to address people properly. It's not a big deal.
Yeah, it is a big deal. Me being transgender or not has absolutely nothing to do with me taking a skills test on a computer. Absolutely nothing.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:08 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
Yes! Am I not wording this properly? Your explanation is spot on.
No, you're not.

I didn't get this: This test is a test on the computer to test her/his ability TO READ EKGs.

From what you wrote.

Quote:
Yeah, it is a big deal. Me being transgender or not has absolutely nothing to do with me taking a skills test on a computer. Absolutely nothing.
Then don't answer it and voice your objections to your employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment