Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 05:26 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

MOUNT HEALTHY, Ohio — The latest interest rate hike hits a sore spot for Ohio restaurants. Two-thirds of restaurant owners said they took on new debt since the COVID-19 pandemic began, according to Ohio Restaurant Association data published this month. Still, a 96-year-old in business for decades is serving up optimism.

Despite his need for waitress help and rising food costs, Angelo Rallis is calm. A & A Restaurant charges no more than $10 for any item. Most are belly-filling platters too. Rallis preps, cooks and cleans everything by hand. He gladly works 12-hour days, seven days a week.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...ifts-every-day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 10:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Yea that kind of work ethic is almost dead...

I call it live to work. My mom was like that. It didn't really matter what the type of work was either really, she just worked and never complained that much.

She was 1st generation immigrant just like that guy. The irony is that you raise your kids to live a 'better life' and they lose that work ethic.

Either they want 1) a lot of $ to work as few hours as possible and/or retire as early as possible or ... 2) a job with greater meaning. Which, I am more guilty of #2.

I always plan to 'work'. Whether I can make money off that pursuit is another question. I don't plan to 'retire' but society may retire me.

But I think Gen X especially, they just want $ and don't want to work for it.

But, much respect for that guy.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:32 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I call it live to work. My mom was like that. It didn't really matter what the type of work was either really, she just worked and never complained that much.

She was 1st generation immigrant just like that guy. The irony is that you raise your kids to live a 'better life' and they lose that work ethic.

Either they want 1) a lot of $ to work as few hours as possible and/or retire as early as possible or ... 2) a job with greater meaning. Which, I am more guilty of #2.

I always plan to 'work'. Whether I can make money off that pursuit is another question. I don't plan to 'retire' but society may retire me.

Eh, maybe it's because I'm Gen X, but I don't think that working 12 hours days, 7 days a week is really that admirable, unless your job is your entire life. I want to work enough to pay my bills and allow me to live comfortably, but the notion that you have no work ethic unless you drop dead on the job is capitalist brainwashing. For this particular gentleman, if he is enjoying his life as-is and it gives him a reason to get out of bed every morning, great, but that's his choice.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-22-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-22-2022, 10:41 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I think it's pretty sad. I've got plenty of things to do besides punch a clock every day when I retire. That said, it might be the only thing keeping this guy alive. He would probably die if he stopped working.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Eh, maybe it's because I'm Gen X, but I don't think that working 12 hours days, 7 days a week is really that admirable, unless your job is your entire life. I want to work enough to pay my bills and allow me to live comfortably, but the notion that you have no work ethic unless you drop dead on the job is capitalist brainwashing. For this particular gentleman, if he is enjoying his life as-is, great, but that's his choice.
The numbers to me were just 'representative'.

He owns the business so he probably likes being with the customers.

Read the story and keep in mind, as an owner, he is not only working and doing actual tasks, but he is keeping the prices down.

Owners and execs I know angle themselves into that position so they can work less, do less ACTUAL work, charge as much as they possibly can, and make more money.

So ... yes, I would require more of a balance as well, but what he's doing is nothing less than admirable.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:21 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
He's probably one of those, when do does decide to retire, he will be dead within a few months.

I know it sounds crazy, but maybe his continuing to work at the ripe old age of 96 is keeping him alive?

Old 09-22-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
He's probably one of those, when do does decide to retire, he will be dead within a few months.

I know it sounds crazy, but maybe his continuing to work at the ripe old age of 96 is keeping him alive?
I also think with that kind of job, there's so much more of a direct correlation of 'go to work, do your job, your work produces a result'

I mean, dealing with the endless corporate tape of a corporate job with a vague mission beyond increasing profits and the stresses of clients who have to pay large invoices ... that's so much different.

Ironically ... those are usually the jobs that are derided. Hardly anybody ever looks at it that way.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:25 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Eh, maybe it's because I'm Gen X, but I don't think that working 12 hours days, 7 days a week is really that admirable, unless your job is your entire life. I want to work enough to pay my bills and allow me to live comfortably, but the notion that you have no work ethic unless you drop dead on the job is capitalist brainwashing. For this particular gentleman, if he is enjoying his life as-is and it gives him a reason to get out of bed every morning, great, but that's his choice.
It's not only Gen X... I'm a Boomer, and I agree with you: work to live.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It's not only Gen X... I'm a Boomer, and I agree with you: work to live.
Of course 95%+ people want more life, less work.

That's why it's a news story...

You don't hear on the news ... 45 year old man wants to make more money for less hours and less responsibility and stress, and work from home, and retire as early as possible...

Old 09-22-2022, 08:04 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I really agree with what you're saying, that a lot of us are pushing to find that better job. That all said, I admire this guy for what I suspect is a good work ethic, and that he MUST really care about this restaurant! I kinda wish I could visit this diner, for myself. Since restaurants like this, are diminishing in this world sadly to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment