Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 04:33 PM

990 posts, read 543,252 times

Advertisements

You could get your masters degree so you can teach at community college. Or take night school until you figure out something else that interests you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 06:50 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I've been a teacher for 5 years now, but I get irritated with some of the high school kids sometimes and some of the parents at times. I'm thinking I'd like to do work where I could work alone and travel more, but still make decent money. There is a chance I stick with teaching even though I'm bleh about it, if only because I don't really know what else to do. It just seems like I spend a lot of time at work to be so lukewarm about it at best and often irritated at worst.
All I can say is, be really frugal and it will set you free. There is nothing wrong with wanting to explore other careers. Almost anyone can do it if they cut their living costs down, especially the big ticket items like housing and cars.

You can have almost anything you want, but you can’t have everything you want. Pick what matters most to you, then sacrifice as needed to fulfill your dream!

Old 10-07-2022, 10:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Quote:
Most of the other jobs I'd consider will require going back to school, and I cringe at the thought of spending a lot of time and money training myself for another career only to dislike the new career too.
You shouldn't have to spend a ton of money on another career before you decide whether you like it or not.

It sounds like you need to take an aptitude test (a proper one, not just some free internet test) to start. Then perhaps see if you can shadow someone in the suggested occupations to see what their day-to-day life is like.

Most people spend a significant amount of time dealing with email, sitting in meetings, preparing reports, reading reports, and editing reports. Most educated corporate-type jobs fall into the category of 'non-exempt'....meaning employers can demand unlimited overtime without compensation, and there is no job security. Spend a few days shadowing other careers like this, and you may decide that teaching isn't so bad after all.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:46 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
All I can say is, be really frugal and it will set you free. There is nothing wrong with wanting to explore other careers. Almost anyone can do it if they cut their living costs down, especially the big ticket items like housing and cars.

You can have almost anything you want, but you can’t have everything you want. Pick what matters most to you, then sacrifice as needed to fulfill your dream!
Yeah, that's what I always believed. That's why I have a cheap house on a 15 year mortgage and a car with good gas mileage. My only regret is I didn't keep the car I had 2 trade-ins ago. Its similar to the car I just traded-in for last year, except if I had kept the car from 2 trade-ins ago, it would have been paid off by now. I guess I just have to wait 4 more years until this car is paid off and not make the mistake of trading cars again for 20 years or so. This car is a Prius. They are supposed to last a long time.

I can also eat more oatmeal and other nonperishable bulk food like rice and beans.

Last edited by Magic Qwan; 10-08-2022 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-08-2022, 08:31 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I always believed. That's why I have a cheap house on a 15 year mortgage and a car with good gas mileage. My only regret is I didn't keep the car I had 2 trade-ins ago. Its similar to the car I just traded-in for last year, except if I had kept the car from 2 trade-ins ago, it would have been paid off by now. I guess I just have to wait 4 more years until this car is paid off and not make the mistake of trading cars again for 20 years or so. This car is a Prius. They are supposed to last a long time.

I can also eat more oatmeal and other nonperishable bulk food like rice and beans.
What keeps you from working a part time job to pay down on your debts?

Old 10-08-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What keeps you from working a part time job to pay down on your debts?
Depression and fatigue, mostly. After I do my take-home work from being a teacher, I mainly just want to sleep. If I did a secondary part time job, it would need to be something pretty mindless that didn't take up a lot of mental bandwidth and didn't make me take home work with me.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:22 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I've been a teacher for 5 years now, but I get irritated with some of the high school kids sometimes and some of the parents at times. I'm thinking I'd like to do work where I could work alone and travel more, but still make decent money. There is a chance I stick with teaching even though I'm bleh about it, if only because I don't really know what else to do. It just seems like I spend a lot of time at work to be so lukewarm about it at best and often irritated at worst.

Do you have student loans? If so, I recommend you stick it out until you qualify for public service loan forgiveness which is equal to 10 years of payments. You're half way to debt cancellation if your 5 years of work qualifies.

Old 10-09-2022, 01:47 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I was briefly a special ed teacher, then swtiched gears to SLP (speech-language pathology), which of course involved more schooling.

On the teacher discussion board I belong to, WHAT ELSE a teacher can do was the million dollar question! There's still no definite answers really. It's whatever else people want to/can do.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I should add for the people PM'ing me that I had a full ride scholarship for undergrad, so I have no student loan debt, currently.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I should add for the people PM'ing me that I had a full ride scholarship for undergrad, so I have no student loan debt, currently.

If you're talking about the comment I "sent you" that was not a private message, it was a rep comment. I usually rep people with my comment

I guess good for you for having no student loans, you can do whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was briefly a special ed teacher, then swtiched gears to SLP (speech-language pathology), which of course involved more schooling.

On the teacher discussion board I belong to, WHAT ELSE a teacher can do was the million dollar question! There's still no definite answers really. It's whatever else people want to/can do.

What other jobs do teachers usually qualify for seems to be the million dollar question if the OP wants to use the schooling they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment