Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 07:14 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
My question is greeting people in the morning and saying bye when you're leaving work. It seems awkward to just say "good morning" or "see you tomorrow" when leaving every day. Especially to the same people everyday. Normally I try to come up with something else like a comment or something, but what do you normally say?

I was just talking about something similar the other day w/ a person or two. I personally DO daily w/o fail. It's the professional, cordial thing to do & it's not awkward just saying "GM" or "Have a good evening" as you walk out the door. But, I'll put other suggestions below.

My boss is strange & moody. Each day, you don't know what you'll get. Every once in a while, she says "Good morning!" or mostly "Hey Team!", but mostly just starts talking & may not even reply back when you ask how she is...really no way for any boss to be.

In the mornings, there's not much else to say other than "Good Morning". I try to change it up a bit too & say:

- Morning!
- Happy Friday! (when it's Friday of course)
- Happy Monday (every once in a while)

If you want to be known as the peculiar person, say:

- Top of the morning!
- Good day!

When leaving, I try to say different things & not be a robot saying the exact same thing. I'll say:

- Have a good evening!
- Till tomorrow!
- Enjoy your evening!
- Have a nice night!
- See you tomorrow!
- See you later!
- Have a great weekend OR Enjoy your weekend! (when it's Friday of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 08:14 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Yes. I say "hi" to people when I see them. Even folks on the street that I make eye contact with.

In the office, I'll usually go and chat with the folks I'm really familiar with. But will certainly say "hi" where appropriate.
And the same when I leave.

In the past, when we were all in the office, I'll actually walk around the offices or cubicles of those I've been working with to say "see ya" when I leave.

I don't see a huge deal either way.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
As the manager, I wait until people have been at their desk for 15-20 minutes, then will stop by and say good morning, ask how they are doing, and if they need anything. I wait so that I don't appear to be checking to to see if they are on time, because that's not a concern. I leave before they do, and about 15-20 minutes before I take off I'll go around and ask each one of they have any questions or problems before I go. Then yes, I wish them a good night.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:56 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
My question is greeting people in the morning and saying bye when you're leaving work. It seems awkward to just say "good morning" or "see you tomorrow" when leaving every day. Especially to the same people everyday. Normally I try to come up with something else like a comment or something, but what do you normally say?
Awkward? Why? I would consider it more awkward and oddball say nothing when you come into contact with another person. Can you explain why being friendly and open to others feels strange to you?

Any coworker who came and left the office in grim silence every day would not be someone I would support at work, recommend to others, or even want to work with. And in my experience, they don't last very long in most workplaces, because people will find ways to eliminate them.

If you hate people, go be a lighthouse keeper.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:13 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I was just talking about something similar the other day w/ a person or two. I personally DO daily w/o fail. It's the professional, cordial thing to do & it's not awkward just saying "GM" or "Have a good evening" as you walk out the door. But, I'll put other suggestions below.

My boss is strange & moody. Each day, you don't know what you'll get. Every once in a while, she says "Good morning!" or mostly "Hey Team!", but mostly just starts talking & may not even reply back when you ask how she is...really no way for any boss to be.

In the mornings, there's not much else to say other than "Good Morning". I try to change it up a bit too & say:

- Morning!
- Happy Friday! (when it's Friday of course)
- Happy Monday (every once in a while)

If you want to be known as the peculiar person, say:

- Top of the morning!
- Good day!

When leaving, I try to say different things & not be a robot saying the exact same thing. I'll say:

- Have a good evening!
- Till tomorrow!
- Enjoy your evening!
- Have a nice night!
- See you tomorrow!
- See you later!
- Have a great weekend OR Enjoy your weekend! (when it's Friday of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As the manager, I wait until people have been at their desk for 15-20 minutes, then will stop by and say good morning, ask how they are doing, and if they need anything. I wait so that I don't appear to be checking to to see if they are on time, because that's not a concern. I leave before they do, and about 15-20 minutes before I take off I'll go around and ask each one of they have any questions or problems before I go. Then yes, I wish them a good night.
That is nice, smart and wise.

I used to have this manager who was a tyrant, bully and snob. She never said good morning, how are you to employees, except to her higher-ups. She treated most of employees like they were nothing, except the ones who kissed her behind. When she was here, the environment was so chaotic. Employees got fired and quit left and right Many employees became almost like she was. The company had to have quite a few in-service sessions about bullying and how to stand up against them.

I have a leader, who is one of the top of the company, who is very humble and caring for employees. He always greets employees with good morning and how are you doing? He does really listen and give good advice to someone who comes to him regarding some issues.

I remember one time he told me that at every workplace there are problems, conflicts and friction among all ranks. When you face those issues, try to seat back, inhale deeply and exhale and learn to be professional. Don't react foolishly. That can make the situation worse. It's like pouring gas on the fire. It is so true. I'll remember this forever. I really look up to him and respect him.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:39 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Well, I don't know if I used the exact words "Good morning" or "Bye". I worked in a work area with about 65 people in cubicles and offices just in my part of the building, so saying it to everyone would be silly, if not impossible. I say "Hi" or "Good morning", or "Hey Bill, how's it going?" or something like that, to folks passing in the aisle or hanging near the water cooler or coffee pot if I go that way. I say "Good night" "Have a good one", or "See you tomorrow", or whatever to anyone I pass on my way out, but we all worked different schedules as we could arrive anytime between 6:30 and 8, and leave 9 hours later.

It seems a little rude not to say hi or acknowledge my co-workers if I'm within 3 or 4 feet of them.

I liked it when higher ups like department heads or the CEO would pass me in the hallway and say "Hi, (my name), how are you doing?" or something like that, acknowledging me by name. It made me wonder how they remember the names of so many employees.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-01-2022 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 12:09 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Common courtesy is expected for all communication internal and external.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:13 PM

689 posts, read 639,447 times
I either say "Good morning!" or "Hello!"

Old 11-01-2022, 07:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,871 times
I wish people would say less.

I currently occupy a desk adjacent to the primary walkway of a small office, and I arrive considerably earlier than everyone else. I'm easily an hour into my work and on task when people start wandering in and want to strike up a chat. They don't walk around and interrupt others, it's just me that is expected to greet (and adios) the entire office.

Many studies have established that even these simple interruptions derail a person's concentration by 15 minutes or more. Imagine having your focus interrupted more than a dozen times every morning for something as worthless as 'hi'. If you're going to break my concentration, at least make it for something important.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:30 PM

1,864 posts, read 841,146 times
no, and the point is, good morning is a question, but you already know the answer, so why ask.

i work alot at night like 2am, they will always ask good morning, no its still freaking night time, morning is when the sun clears the trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment