Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 12:01 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

^No. Anyone over 62 gets the discount. It isn't means tested for assets or income.

If you "feel terrible" because you can perfectly well "afford" to pay full price, then don't use the discount.

It may not be a direct analogy, but to me that'd be the same as someone who can well "afford" to retire feeling guilty for holding a job that someone else could use more.

Neither case is exploiting a policy or contract in one's favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 02:11 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe off-topic, but does taking advantage of "senior pricing" for movies count? I am 65, perfectly active and healthy, and feel terrible when I punch the "over 62" button.
Have you been paying full price for movies from the age of 18 to 61? You've paid into the system then, right?

Old 11-12-2022, 06:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I am being told I don't have assigned office space. I informed my manager-to-be that I am not set up for any work from home...

This is not cool. I am having to constantly explain that I do not work from home. I should not have to do this.
Because with the sole exception of MY former employer, working from home at least PT is now the norm.

I'm not sure how you can inform an employer "I do not work from home." Everybody can work from home.

Seems your recourse would be simply to secure a job that requires you to be onsite - if you can find one!

It may have to be some kind of public-facing job and may even require retraining, but it may be worthwhile.

Perhaps something in the medical field? I can't recall offhand what it is you currently do.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-12-2022 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-12-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
WFH would require either a space that I am not using for anything else (which costs money), or a willingness to sit in an extremely uncomfortable posture for hours on end.

I am a minimalist who doesn’t want to pay for more housing than I need. Even if I had to work from home 2 days a year, it would end up being either expensive or uncomfortable.
Don't you live alone? For some reason, I got that impression. I think you exaggerate how onerous it would be to WFH. I did it for a year and half slumped in my bed with my kitty by my side and my laptop balanced on an old inverted dishrack on my other side (to cool it). Not ergonomically ideal, but it sure didn't kill me...

You truly do seem to have a WFH phobia, and I think you admitted as much at one time.

Maybe seek documentation from a psychiatrist and claim an actual disability under ADA?

I honestly get it. As a single person living alone, my preference now that I no longer have a pet who needs me at home would also be to go into the office just for the social contact, but I think a hybrid arrangement would work fine even for me.

I agree with others that considering how important this is to you, it's really strange that you wouldn't specifically ask about it in the interview!

Last edited by otterhere; 11-12-2022 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-12-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
How was this guy teleworking? Sounds more like he was just staying at home. To be teleworking you actually have to work.
As for the OP, maybe your "slacker" friend had a lot of personal time off to burn off before he retired. I know I had nearly a year of accrued leave that I ended up being monetarily compensated for but, in hindsight, wish I had used up over the years instead. That may be at least partially what he was doing. Unless you work in HR, you wouldn't be privy to the details. I can't imagine him calling coworkers and gloating over doing something "illegal."

Or he could be like the old employee who died at his desk and wasn't found for three days.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-12-2022 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-12-2022, 07:21 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^No. Anyone over 62 gets the discount. It isn't means tested for assets or income.

If you "feel terrible" because you can perfectly well "afford" to pay full price, then don't use the discount.

It may not be a direct analogy, but to me that'd be the same as someone who can well "afford" to retire feeling guilty for holding a job that someone else could use more.

Neither case is exploiting a policy or contract in one's favor.
I opened a new thread, "Taking Advantage" of Senior Discounts When Healthy & Employed, because I can see, from this and another response, this merits one.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe off-topic, but does taking advantage of "senior pricing" for movies count? I am 65, perfectly active and healthy, and feel terrible when I punch the "over 62" button.
Why in the world would you feel terrible about utilizing something for which you legitimately qualify? They're not asking if you're perfectly healthy and active; they're asking if you're over 62. If you feel for whatever reason you don't deserve it or are somehow taking something away from someone else by accepting it, simply don't cop to being over 62; problem solved. I just hope you won't feel guilty about going on Medicare when you're 65 or SS at 70! Also, I'm not sure a merits a separate thread, because I've never heard of anyone else having this problem, but okay...

Old 11-12-2022, 08:11 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
You can handle a pandemic without making the mitigation measures permanent.

In pre-COVID times, employers did not pressure employees to work from home this frequently. It's almost 2023 and just about every other aspect of society has returned to normal. Except that I seem to be unable to gain the freedom that I had before the pandemic - the freedom to simply assume I could always work in the office full-time and it would never be an issue.

That is what I want to have back. If I can get that back, then I may be willing to forgive it all and not be so opposed to following health measures in the future.

It isn't the fact that people didn't know how to respond to the virus that I am upset about. It is the fact that they lied about it being temporary.
It's been past two years since the height of covid.

Most that have WFH/Hybrid policies are no longer doing it as a "mitigation measure". Most are doing it as the result of a cultural change.

No officials lied to you. They say thing can go back to "normal" - and they can. Companies are simply choosing NOT to.

You're hoping/expecting that we simply go back in time. Which is fine. But society as a whole has changed. And anecdotally, your preference is in the minority. So most don't share your perspective. And because of that, you would be helping yourself more if you stated those preferences when you interview or look at new opportunities.

And realistically speaking - the opposite would be the same too. Anyone who has a strong preference for hybrid/remote work arrangements should also state them.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:24 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
Why is this topic so important? Why do we care about people who milk policies?

Old 11-12-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Why is this topic so important? Why do we care about people who milk policies?
The OP is clearly bothered by this person; I'd consider it more of a rant!

But the WFH resister's story is pretty interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment