Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 05:24 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

When a Better Job Appears After Starting a New One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 06:05 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
For #3: will it be the same hiring manager or others interviewing you? If that's the case I'd drop that information in the form of a few questions. Ask what the next step is. Who will be interviewing you next? Is this a new role? Why is it open?

It could be that you were #2 last time and #1 didn't work out for whatever reason.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
For #3: will it be the same hiring manager or others interviewing you? If that's the case I'd drop that information in the form of a few questions. Ask what the next step is. Who will be interviewing you next? Is this a new role? Why is it open?

It could be that you were #2 last time and #1 didn't work out for whatever reason.
That's my thought and I want to dig in to it. I'm not sure who the hiring manager will be but the recruiter is different than last time. It's been over 6 months so there is a possibility someone didn't work out or they decided not to hire at the time. It was when the economic picture was starting to look grim so they may have backed off on hiring for the management role and made due. Given I met the team I'm sure given logistics that wasn't offered to many candidates so possible I was pretty close to getting it.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:01 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
1. The pay difference is huge. Normally I would not encourage rapid job hopping, but this would be an exception. In this economy, you simply have to look out for yourself, because a capitalist corporation definitely won’t.

2. Play politics. Find out a few things about the new company that inspire you, and emphasize those, using as many positive words as reasonably possible, such as “growth”, “opportunity”, “leverage”, “development”, “innovation”, etc. It is also good to discuss a few specifics about the role. You can mention salary also, but do not dwell on it. Salary should be a footnote.

For example, say “I took my current job at the time, thinking it was a stepping stone in my career that would enable me to get into A,B,C. I continued to seek opportunities since I would be quite interested in developing my career in the closely related field of D,E,F. I am inspired by the company’s culture that encourages X, Y, Z. Why not go for a company that values these, and pays well too?” or something to that effect. Do your homework and research the new company. Choose appropriate things to fill in for A,B,C,D,E,F, and X,Y,Z in order to sound plausible,qualified, and excited, while also being realistic. This may take some time to figure out, but it is well worth it. Put in the time, and be prepared for all interviews.

3. Don’t even mention it. If asked, simply say the truth but be brief and don’t continue the subject.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:55 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
I had somewhat of a similar, but different situation last year.

Last July, I left a job in academia where I did research for 4 years and moved 1,000 miles away, from State A to State B, for a federal job (my first time working for the feds), which I started in the middle of August.

Literally, at the end of my first week of work at my new federal job in State B, I get another federal job offer (which I interviewed for back in April of last year, the feds are notoriously slow!), one with more promotion potential and higher salary, so I ended up taking that job, which was another 1,000 miles away in State C!

I worked at that first federal job for 12 weeks in State B, then moved again to the better offer in State C.

In my scenario, I already interviewed for the other job months prior, but I still needed to get and pass a pre-employment physical for the second federal job.

My boss at the first federal job, was great and very understanding of my situation, at least on the outside, with excepting the second federal job, even though I just started working for him.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:38 AM

70 posts, read 52,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
1. Is it wrong for me to push for this other job after I just started at my current?
2. How should I discuss my reason for even taking the current job with the one I'm interested in?
3. How should I bring up that I already made it to the final round previously?

1. No, not wrong at all...
2. Not sure why that would even come up; don't bring it up.
3. Irrelevant. Each job announcement stands on it's own.

No guilt; go get the better job.
This. And I also wanted to wish you good luck, hope you'll get the job. Keep us posted!

Old 11-23-2022, 03:53 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
So I was out of work after a mass layoff since March. I accepted an offer for a position within a company and started work yesterday.

On Friday of last week, a company I previously interviewed for reached out for a HR Screen call. I really liked the company, role and salary was in line with expectations. The current company requires some Saturdays, full in office, pays about 30 to 40k less, and doesn't really align with my career goals. I was forced to accept it as I was bleeding money since unemployment ran out in September. I was making about 3 times what they offered me in my previous job before being laid off. I interviewed for the other company back in about May. I made it to the final round and met with team members I would have been managing. I'm not sure if the recruiter is aware that I have interviewed extensively before.

I was able to setup a time after I'm done with work in early December with the other company. My questions for you all:

1. Is it wrong for me to push for this other job after I just started at my current?
2. How should I discuss my reason for even taking the current job with the one I'm interested in?
3. How should I bring up that I already made it to the final round previously?

Getting this other job would make a huge difference in my life. With the current, I would be barely scraping by. With the other job, I would be comfortable money wise and working within a role that is more in line with my desired career path while allowing me to work from home in a hybrid model.

Thank you for your help in advance!
It's a business arrangement. A MUTUAL arrangement. They understand that.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Too may of these companies take too long to get back to applicants. You can't sit around twiddling your thumbs waiting. It really depends.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
I disagree on #3.

A few years back, I went five rounds of interviews, only to be told my salary expectation was too high. A few months later I get a call for the same job, and I was upfront--I told her I'd already been through five rounds and couldn't imagine what more they wanted to know about me. She thanked me for letting her know; the company hadn't disclosed that they'd already rejected many applicants and she'd been contacting all these same people! She had to start all over (and have some words with the employer).

I saved myself a whole lot of frustration by being upfront. (But if their answer had been different, I would likely have found out something useful that would have helped me better prepare for interviewing again).

OP, I can tell you are really excited about this opportunity. But do you know why you didn't get the job before? That information might help your chances this time around, and the only way you'll find out is if you mention your prior interviews (It's also possible that you'll learn what I did, that you were contacted for no other reason than crossed wires).

Whatever you do, keep giving it your all at your current job. And give them a full two weeks' notice. You don't want to burn bridges.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:43 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
OP:
Perhaps you were the #2 pick and the #1 was hired and just resigned.

Possibly HR is reaching out to you to see if you are still interested. Maybe the process at this point has fewer steps because you already went through several interviews.

Another possibility is a new opening occurred (either growth or on another team) and you are a good fit.

Either way, it's good to let them know you interviewed before AND you are very interested in working there.

It's up to you whether to bring up your current new job...in order to schedule interviews around your work schedule. You can also check about interview times without telling them why. Many people have busy schedules and companies try to set an interview time that meets your needs. For example, you say: "Is it possible to schedule the interview after 4PM ET any day this week?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment