Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

98 posts, read 317,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
mommyjnny have you looked into medical transcription from home? With your background as a unit secretary in the ER it may be something that you can easily do. It's not the work at home business that I have, but my SIL does it and loves it. The pay is great, she works for a wonderful company, and has really enjoyed it. She's just heading into her second year of being a WAHM

Where did she find her job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,190,335 times
Is there a job to do from home besides ebay, that does not require you to invest your money first? Some of these work from home jobs sound like multi-level marketing where you pay for them to make you a certified something or other, and then pay to use their contacts and turn others onto the "opportunity" and get residuals from their sales. Am I wrong?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjnny View Post
Where did she find her job?
mommyjnny - I'm also a medical transcriptionist who works from home. You can learn more about the business as well as companies who are hiring on this site: MT Chat . Registration is free and if you go to the message boards tab, there are forums there - one for "newbies" to the field, networking, classifieds where openings are posted and another where companies are discussed (whether they are good or bad, etc.) There's quite a bit of info there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,080,285 times
mommy she works for a company based right here in Maine that does work for Maine physicians and offices. Good luck with your search though!

Puffle one thing to keep in mind is whether you're looking to build your own business from home or work from home for an employer. I can't think of any *business* that you start, from home or elsewhere, that wouldn't require some type of an initial investment. You may not find that you need to spend anything to find a work from home *job*, but yet a company may ask that you bring in a separate phone line, a quiet room from which to work, etc, and they may not hire you if you don't have these things in place.

My "work at home" is a business that I build myself. I make my hours, I decide when I want to work, when I do my team calls, and even who my business partners are....this was important to me, but may not work for everyone. Some are just looking for a pay check, and don't want the responsibility of growing their own business. I think it's important when you're searching to realize what it is that you'd really like, a "job" or a "business" and then go from there. I had to put a lot of thought into what I eventually chose, and all of you will too, but ask lots of questions and keep looking until you find something that's a good fit. That's very important!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM

983 posts, read 4,439,079 times
Also a site called mymommybiz.com or maybe it's mommiebiz.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 AM

A site I looked at frequently, that does not advertise or promote any one home business/work at home op over another....it's an informational site, is WAHM.com The Online Magazine for Work at Home Moms The wahm stands for work at home moms. This site was also recommended in Good Housekeeping magazine about a year ago because of the information that they provide and the tips that they give.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 AM

98 posts, read 317,766 times
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
mommyjnny - I'm also a medical transcriptionist who works from home. You can learn more about the business as well as companies who are hiring on this site: MT Chat . Registration is free and if you go to the message boards tab, there are forums there - one for "newbies" to the field, networking, classifieds where openings are posted and another where companies are discussed (whether they are good or bad, etc.) There's quite a bit of info there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM

10,169 posts, read 11,149,682 times
Research, research!!!!!

Wahm.com is a start - but you really have to do your own research.

I've said it in many threads - There are many legit jobs. I've worked many. From taking order online to Medical Trans, to writing....

Some jobs you do need to pass a background check ( you might have to pay for it )

Other than that - You never pay for a job, nor pay to find a job....

There's many valuable sites out there. Again, Research. It can take months, and months. I know some who've been looking for over a year.

If you can't wait that long - best just go out and get a job - outside of the home.

Not all work at home jobs will make you rich - some are just for extra pocket change as well.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:54 PM

EXACTLY Torn! reps for that one

Old 06-11-2008, 07:09 PM

10,169 posts, read 11,149,682 times
Thanks Molly - People who are looking for work at home jobs, shouldn't assume people are going to led them right to the job. Most of the postings I see here and elsewhere have been around. And - those companies only hire at certain times or have met their cap of employee's.

I can't tell you how many hours, days, weeks, months I searched.

Not all jobs are for everyone either. There's texting jobs, if you wanna do that sort of thing. Some pay well. It's not for me...

Most require some sort of training or experience. And - with so many looking for wahj's it's very hard to get one....

I know a few who actually have their own businesses and do quit well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment