Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,049,148 times

Advertisements

There's a guy that does things for us here in Maine. He started his own company probably 15 years ago now. He's organized, smart, and has a great work ethic, but I think the reason he's still in business also has to do with his personality. He is a great people person. He listens to what people want, he asks questions, and he's not afraid to say "you could save a little money if I go *this* far with the project and then you take over". In the spring and fall he gets things ready for the coming seasons for his customers, and in the winter he plows snow and sands for commercial businesses and residences.

It seems to me that with a certification in landscaping you could come in with a company above a "labor" type of position, but it would depend on the size of the company too. But, if you went and got the certification, then could find something like a site manager job with the company, that would give you some practical experience and give you an idea of whether you'd like to own your own landscaping business. I think if you're interested it's worth pursuing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,088,526 times
You're right the money is not in the manual labor. But, many people start out working on crews. I have a 4 year Landscape Horticulture degree, and worked on crews for 2 1/2 years right out of college. I am now getting a Landscape Design Masters and work for a design firm. If you want to make good money in Landscaping, you either need to own your own business or be a designer IMO. If you decide you want to be a designer, I would suggest learning at least AutoCad. Most design now is done on a computer, even with some of the smaller companies.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,984,143 times
thanks for all the info,Im 27 now and I really need to start getting settled in in life and I hate my current job but it pays descent,I love plants and designing and all that,I even dont mind the labor,its just that after I get the certificate I cant go into a job making $8 dollars cause I got too many bills to pay, It is a community college offering the certificate,I wanted to go into horticulture but its not offered here and the University is expensive.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

Horticulture is a wonderful field, but it's not a field where you are going to make tons of money. The top crew guy (the guy that rides around in a truck all day to check on things and is in charge of everyone else) at my old company, had been working in landscaping for 25 years and was making 60/year. The owner of that business however was doing quite well.

It just depends on what your goals in life are. My advice to you would be to get your certificate and really focus on the design or construction end of things. Take a cad class or two, and market yourself to companies as someone who understands construction and design with the ability to draw plans. Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,081,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
here are some of the classes-

plant science
soil science
pest mgmt
community gardening
plant selection
irrig design
water features
landscape design
maintence and equip.
land construction
arboriculture
native plants

Im sure there is some other job you can get besides the labor of landscaping,what else is there,Im not sure if this course is a degree or a certificate, but Im curious,I am really interested in landscape designing.

How about working for the Army Corp of Engineers? Or as a Wetland Professional? We work with both on all Lakefront wetland issues, and for any homes that will be built in a flood-zone. Our Wetland professional is a soil scientist, that has to know native and wetland plants and helps people to determine if a home can be built at all, or if special permits are needed to continue. (Sparnon Wetland Services, Inc. (broken link)) (her website)

Just because you own a landscape design company, does not mean that you have to do any of the labor! We build homes, but the nails get hammered in by our framing crews.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
How about working for the Army Corp of Engineers? Or as a Wetland Professional? We work with both on all Lakefront wetland issues, and for any homes that will be built in a flood-zone. Our Wetland professional is a soil scientist, that has to know native and wetland plants and helps people to determine if a home can be built at all, or if special permits are needed to continue. (Sparnon Wetland Services, Inc.) (her website)

Just because you own a landscape design company, does not mean that you have to do any of the labor! We build homes, but the nails get hammered in by our framing crews.
Okay, just to put things in perspective for the OP, that person you mention and give her website has a lot of education. She has a bachelors in Geology, a masters in Environmental resources, and she has two certifications as a wetland scientist and she is DBE certified.

Also, usually the Environmental jobs with the Army Corp of Engineers also require specific educational backgrounds.

The type of certificate the OP is considering getting, I don't think will qualify him for the jobs you suggest.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,347,005 times
My nephew got a degree in Botany if memory serves, and he now works for the Forestry service. He loves it AND he has some AWESOME benefits.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,081,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Okay, just to put things in perspective for the OP, that person you mention and give her website has a lot of education. She has a bachelors in Geology, a masters in Environmental resources, and she has two certifications as a wetland scientist and she is DBE certified.

Also, usually the Environmental jobs with the Army Corp of Engineers also require specific educational backgrounds.

The type of certificate the OP is considering getting, I don't think will qualify him for the jobs you suggest.

But it's a stepping stone toward a better career. The OP is just starting out, building an educational background.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,780,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
see the thing is anyone can get hired on to do labor for a landscaping company but mostly mexicans here cause they will work cheaper but anyways I dont want to get paid 8 dollars an hour and start off doing labor when I can just apply for one of these companys and learn the ropes there without any schooling.

I really like to do landscaping,all aspects of it but I cant live on $8 dollars an hour.

what do yall think?
I think they days of being picky are over. You're competing with day laborers, low income workers, entry level physical labor. Unless you're currently employed you are starting from the bottom. I don't know how old you are but in today's market, you have to think like an eighteen year old. You're not going to start off making a living wage, take what you can get. Maybe you can use family or cut back somewhere else to balance your resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment